Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
He is going to take a while to get back to his game.

Next season, he should be back to his game... or like many Sens prospects of the past he could never skate the same way again.

I hope it is not that way. I hope we actually get lucky for once
Wolanin's injury was shoulder related, no? I get what you're saying but I'd be surprised if his skating took a hit in this case.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Wolanin's injury was shoulder related, no? I get what you're saying but I'd be surprised if his skating took a hit in this case.

Good catch. I meant play hockey the same way.

Looks minor...

google says this:

RESULTS: Eleven NHL Players (13 shoulders) were included in the study. The average follow-up was 19.4 months (12.7-37 months, SD 7.4) and average age was 29 years (20-36, SD 5.1). Of the 13 shoulders, there were various types of labral tears including three Bankart tears, three superior (SLAP) tears, two posterior tears, three combined anterior/posterior tears, and two panlabral tears. All 11 players returned to play (RTP) after surgery at an average time of 4.3 months. There were no significant differences between time to RTP for players with dominant-sided injuries (4.2 months) and non-dominant injuries (4.6 months), p = 0.632. Five players had increased time-on-ice (TOI) and five players had decreased TOI after surgery, though this difference was not significant (p = 0.3804). On average, the shots on goal per game played (SOG/GP) decreased by 0.13 after surgery which was not significantly different (p = 0.149). There were no post-operative complications observed.
CONCLUSION: Professional ice hockey players can safely return to full competition at an average of 4.3 months after arthroscopic shoulder labral repair without significant decline in player performance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Good catch. I meant play hockey the same way.

Looks minor...

google says this:

RESULTS: Eleven NHL Players (13 shoulders) were included in the study. The average follow-up was 19.4 months (12.7-37 months, SD 7.4) and average age was 29 years (20-36, SD 5.1). Of the 13 shoulders, there were various types of labral tears including three Bankart tears, three superior (SLAP) tears, two posterior tears, three combined anterior/posterior tears, and two panlabral tears. All 11 players returned to play (RTP) after surgery at an average time of 4.3 months. There were no significant differences between time to RTP for players with dominant-sided injuries (4.2 months) and non-dominant injuries (4.6 months), p = 0.632. Five players had increased time-on-ice (TOI) and five players had decreased TOI after surgery, though this difference was not significant (p = 0.3804). On average, the shots on goal per game played (SOG/GP) decreased by 0.13 after surgery which was not significantly different (p = 0.149). There were no post-operative complications observed.
CONCLUSION: Professional ice hockey players can safely return to full competition at an average of 4.3 months after arthroscopic shoulder labral repair without significant decline in player performance.

I gotta admit, I am a little surprised that you were able to find a study on NHL players returning from labral tears, and somewhat more surprised that two of the players in the study required surgery on both shoulders...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This will be an unpopular take, but I really don't want to see Wolanin in Belleville any longer than a few games. He showed last year that he is an NHL player, and as a guy who is about to turn 25 he's not really a kid anymore. Once he's found his legs again get him up here, and fire Player #29 into the sun. Wolanin played his way out of the AHL last year, so we aren't really helping his development by burying him there. (Keep in mind that the purpose of the AHL affiliate is to develop NHL players first and foremost - them winning is just a happy by-product.)

Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
This will be an unpopular take, but I really don't want to see Wolanin in Belleville any longer than a few games. He showed last year that he is an NHL player, and as a guy who is about to turn 25 he's not really a kid anymore. Once he's found his legs again get him up here, and fire Player #29 into the sun. Wolanin played his way out of the AHL last year, so we aren't really helping his development by burying him there. (Keep in mind that the purpose of the AHL affiliate is to develop NHL players first and foremost - them winning is just a happy by-product.)

Can't imagine why that would be an unpopular take. He was one of our best defenseman when in Ottawa last year.

Oh I guess cus we're going for a Calder Cup? They have been and will be fine without him down there.

Looks like he still has 30 more NHL games before waiver eligibility, so they can always send him back for playoffs after the NHL season ends.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think he should play down their till he has his timing back. How long that takes is hard to say though, so I won't commit to a few games, he hasn't played a game for something like 8 months.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
When Boro comes back Goloubef will sit. And at the trade deadline at least one spot should open up for Wolanin when Boro, DeMelo ( :cry: ) or Hainsey get traded.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
L

Lajoie isn't exactly killing it.

What exactly is meant by killing it? I assume that it means not putting up a lot of pts since that seems to be the only metric people want to see on here. Lajoie has had a very good yr in Belleville & plays a very good steady & safe defensive game which one would think he should get credit for. Putting up pts is why they have Brannstrom on the team, Lajoie's job is to prevent goals. Hopefully, Wolanin will get up to speed quickly & add some offence from the blueline down there.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
His legs should be there if it was a shoulder injury, timing is what he’ll need to develop but if he’s playing that shouldn’t take too long

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What exactly is meant by killing it? I assume that it means not putting up a lot of pts since that seems to be the only metric people want to see on here. Lajoie has had a very good yr in Belleville & plays a very good steady & safe defensive game which one would think he should get credit for. Putting up pts is why they have Brannstrom on the team, Lajoie's job is to prevent goals. Hopefully, Wolanin will get up to speed quickly & add some offence from the blueline down there.
Don’t think lajoie has been great defensively whither

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Let’s pump the tires a bit on CW. He is a nice late emerging prospect for a team desperate for players.

I see a 6-8 DMAN on a contending team. Injury aside I think a coach pushes Borocop over CW.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Let’s pump the tires a bit on CW. He is a nice late emerging prospect for a team desperate for players.

I see a 6-8 DMAN on a contending team. Injury aside I think a coach pushes Borocop over CW.
The bolded will be used against you out of context!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hint: I can think of another CW. ;)
Sure. But this is Wolanins thread. I guess you could play the “I have an issue with anyone with the initials CW”... but I would respond with a comment about how I just have an issue with handing out $25+ million to players before they earn it. Wolanin is a free agent next year and this could be another CW situation where the board thinks his 2020-21 modest season earns him a 5x$6 type contact because he has 9 goals (like Boro) or something .

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Maybe ? I think I meant brakes ... either way. CW has a way to go before he is a top 4 dman on a good team. Use it anyway you like..
He’s only played 40 games in the NHL so your right he has a long way to go before being considered a top 4 Dman.

He has scored like one (well kind of) and looked like one to finish off the year last year but he needs to be evaluated in a full season.

Having one year left on his contract makes for a tricky case with Wolanin.

Reactions: Sweatred

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Right now? Sure. He has top 4 potential for sure. 30 points in 40 AHL games and 12 points in 30 NHL games (30ish point pace full season) as a rookie is excellent.

Reactions: GCK and NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad