Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If we think he will make the team out of camp we probably could have gotten him cheaper on a 1 way.

Damn, I'm guessing this post was before we knew his AAV would be 900 K$ because if not, we're even poorer than I thought :laugh:

The 2-way on the first year is very inconsequential, keeps him on the edge that he has to perform to stay up

Happy this is done,next up is Colin White ....This is another contract that needs to be done quickly

Why? He's RFA and training camp is in September

I think the idea is if he's going to be up in the NHL all year anyways, might as well offer a one way, but you could then lower the nhl salary a bit for giving him his guarantee and safety. Maybe 750,000 one way instead of 850,000 on a 2-way.

In the meantime, the Habs make over 100 M$ in pure profits per season, just from the hockey operations. Ouch.

Man some of you guys will literally complain about everything and anything. :laugh:

They can't give this guy 4 years after half a season, this is the perfect contract to see what exactly they have here. Even if he lights it up, his next contract will still be reasonable. If he doesn't then no harm, they can just let him go or re-sign him to a similar deal.

Well, after 11 years on this site (and a bit more since I lurked at the beginning), this is pretty much a gimme. We all complain about things and of course there will always be things we're not happy with but for some posters, it's pretty systematic, no matter what happens. Maybe unless we'd claim Crosby on waivers, buy him out and then sign him at league minimum. But some would probably complain about the age risk and the money spent on the buy out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
100k in the minors is dirt cheap for a player of Wolanin's caliber. He shouldn't have accepted less than 250. Dorion will screw him

Reactions: NB613

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm ok with this.

Save the longer term 1-way deals for kids you know are legit. Wolanin isn't quite there yet.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Nothing wrong with this signing.
He'll be motivated to improve his game, and either make the team out of camp, or be the first one called up.
I little competition among a group of young Dmen is a good thing for the organization ............ no one should just be handed anything.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would have preferred if they gave him more term to lock up some UFA years.

Given the Sens MO these last few years this is actually as good as it gets though. Credit to PD for keeping the AAV so low (lower than most of us probably thought possible) and making sure he'd still be an RFA once the deal is up.

It's smart to build in the two-way aspect in year one from PD's perspective, but given the options we've got back there I'd be disappointed in DJ if CW starts the year in Belleville. I'm assuming they made sure it was a 2-way on the off-chance Brannstrom or Lajoie beat Wolanin out for a spot in camp.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Standard contract really...nothing for CW to be insulted about and gives the team more flexibility.

Part of me hopes that all the young D start in Belleville with most of the young forwards and they build something special down there which will only compliment the Ottawa team down the line.

Lots of ice time + responsibility + chemistry in the A means easier transition and support in the NHL.

Plus we NEED to suck this year and cant take any chances about that!

Reactions: Cosmix

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Kassian has 111 shots last year and his shooting percent doubled from years before.. that’s from playing with mcdavid.

Neal - 20 30 50 point type season.

On the low end.. if playing consistent edmonton top 6

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Any updates on this guy?
Last i heard, which was recently, they are talking mid February plus a stint in Belleville. I would not be surprised if it is an extended stint

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good stuff - this means that Wooly's recovery is right on track with what they originally projected. This hopefully means he can play some games in Belleville by the end of the month, maybe early February, then back up here by the deadline...

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
the guy has the offense. And at least one open spot is available. Let's hope. It becomes one less position to fill.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I still feel Brannstrom has higher upside, but Wolanin is going to be a solid addition to the club for sure.

I felt he was really strong on the PP last year and we've missed that.

Brannstrom definitely has some high end skills. He has to make them work within his limitations .. He is still learning that. Wolanin has that part figured out. I think he can be more effective. Such a shame for him he got such a serious injury when it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad