Buffalo Bills Wk #2: BUF (0-1) @ MIA (1-0) 1pm Sept 19 FOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Continued from here.

Go Bills!!!

Final 53-man roster, practice squad, etc., pending August 31.

Initial cuts.

--------------

Moderator Note: Covid-19 discussion is limited to how it affects the Bills and their players. It is not a thread about your personal feelings or for scientific information

General Covid-19 discussion belongs here: COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

First offense will result in post deletion. Further offenses will result in being banned from the thread. If you are banned from the thread you will have to wait for a new thread to be started after it reaches 1000 posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm sad the Bills had to trade Darryl Johnson. I think he will be a good player. But I like Epenesa and the guys from this year's draft. Hopefully it works out for the best.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I'm surprised it took this long for NE to cut Cam. It was painfully obvious that he is incapable of being an effective QB at this point in his career.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He'll probably be re-signed as a vested vet once IR moves are made. Handshake deal to come back, an extra 'bonus' for his troubles.

Excuse my ignorance but what are the benefits of this? You can still only have a certain number of players on your roster...

My firat thought was a bigger move in the works at TE...

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Not surprised. Mac Jones looked as good or better in preseason and Newton keeps missing time due to covid protocols and will be a risk to continue missing time to the protocols during the season.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Excuse my ignorance but what are the benefits of this? You can still only have a certain number of players on your roster...

My firat thought was a bigger move in the works at TE...
With the "designate return from IR" option, the player needs to first make your 53 man roster. So:
1. Cut Hollister so McKenzie can make roster
2. "IR-to-return" McKenzie after roster deadline
3. Re-sign Hollister to McKenzie's roster spot
4. Activate McKenzie in a few weeks when he's healthy

By then they can cut someone more fringe or someone else will be on IR. This is what they did with Roberts last year.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
With the "designate return from IR" option, the player needs to first make your 53 man roster. So:

By then they can cut someone more fringe or someone else will be on IR. This is what they did with Roberts last year.
Just to note (as stated in the last thread, I believe, or maybe BuffaloRumblings), this is only possible if the player has enough NFL seasons under their belt to avoid waivers, and was made easier to accomplish with the IR changes due to COVID

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Thanks. It makes sense - i haven't followed tbis preseason nearly as closely as the past few.

Still would have thought there would be other candidates before Hollister - but if he's agreed to it that's fine.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just to note (as stated in the last thread, I believe, or maybe BuffaloRumblings), this is only possible if the player has enough NFL seasons under their belt to avoid waivers, and was made easier to accomplish with the IR changes due to COVID

I'm pretty sure Hollister has enough seasons to avoid waivers.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

In addition, the COVID practice squad rules again in force for this season allow:
A. A larger practice squad of up to (16) players, than pre-COVID.
B. Up to (6) of those (16) can have more than two accrued seasons. I believe the pre-COVID limit was (2) such players per team's PS.
C. Ability to protect (4) players per week from being signed by another NFL team.

The Hollister "deal", the presumed logic laid out above by others, might also have been done with a ripple effect in mind for practice squad implications (although we'll have to see the cuts and practice squad to speculate if that may have been the case).

Regardless, this image of Brandon Beane at One Bills Drive was captured today.
images

Reactions: whiplash

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In addition, the COVID practice squad rules again in force for this season allow:
A. A larger practice squad of up to (16) players, than pre-COVID.
B. Up to (6) of those (16) can have more than two accrued seasons. I believe the pre-COVID limit was (2) such players per team's PS.
C. Ability to protect (4) players per week from being signed by another NFL team.

Frankly, these should be the permanent set of rules. And I'd even up B to 8 of 16 with more than 2 accrued seasons.

Reactions: Paxon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad