GDT: WJHC: Canada vs Česko

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Have a look at a slow-motion replay. Dean’s skates clearly left the ice and he clearly bloodied the other player’s head. What else do you need?

If anything it looks like Deans head catches the Czech. If you think that hit is 5 and a game then you probably also think fighting doesn’t belong in the game. That’s a hockey play. It’s a physical sport. Is it 2 minutes for charging? Probably yes. But 5 and a game is just soft

Attachments

• F521A653-E38D-4A3D-A13A-CFDE295217FE.jpeg
    F521A653-E38D-4A3D-A13A-CFDE295217FE.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 1

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Lots of These kids here can go and dominate the NCAA???? Yea no…you don’t know what you’re talking about. What Fantilli is doing is borderline historic yet you’re saying many of these 19 and under kids could also dominate?!?!
He’s right
Based on Day 1.. Finland and Canada suck and the finals will be the Swiss and the Czechs.

Let's face it, the wins mean nothing. Canada is still my gold medal fav.

I hope we back this up against the Austrians tomorrow and win and get a day off to recoup!

2 wins in 30 years... think about that.

Canada has 2 very favorable matches coming up and then the Swedes. I think they'll just start building momentum. I don't think the second goalie let in a goal too!

Canada wins next 3.. Swedes or Germans beat us and Canada still wins the pool.

Obviously, I'm elated and my heart rate has now settled down.
Tournament is always better when we have a good Czech team in it.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I mean Jimmy f***ing Snuggarud is producing close to the same and is like 4 months older than Fantilli. It's not as much of a stretch as you think it is. You are either massively overrated the NCAA or massively underating players that choose to play in the CHL.

Just because they choose to play in the CHL doesn't make them inferior. Plenty of this kids could go to the NCAA and dominate. No f***ing question. Give your head a shake.

I questioned his spot on this team the entire time. There's plenty of kids who I think would have been better choices to make this team. There's also a few other players on this team that I questioned as well. Not just him. This team was picked like it had a salary cap. They left a lot of talent off that should be there.
In all fairness, Snuggerud is pretty damn good. But I agree, Fantilli has always been like this, a lot of turnovers and poor puck management, the athletic tools to dominate but clearly also lacks a high hockey IQ. I think he’s going to take awhile to reach the potential he’s garnered, or not at all. Still a solid prospect but this isn’t something new with Fantilli. Was like this at the youth Olympics, U18’s with Bedard, pre tournament, even with Michigan, but that team is loaded.

Reactions: viceroy

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
That Czech goalie (don’t wanna insult him with a butchering of his name) was stellar. Canada looked like shit for most of the game. Bedard was our most impactful skater.

Above all else that penalty on good ol Newf Dean was absolute garbage

You don’t actually think it was a hit to the head?
What are you talking about? He was cut in the face it is clearly a hit the head. There was no reason for Dean to get his stick up like that.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Get real folks. This is a very good Canadian team who just got a humbling wakeup call from its own sense of entitlement, hubris and arrogance. They'll respond.
If they can fix the goaltending situation, they'll be right in the mix for gold at the end.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
If anything it looks like Deans head catches the Czech. If you think that hit is 5 and a game then you probably also think fighting doesn’t belong in the game. That’s a hockey play. It’s a physical sport. Is it 2 minutes for charging? Probably yes. But 5 and a game is just soft

Reminding you that IIHF rules on hits to the head and neck area are different than the NHL. The IIHF is extremely strict on head AND neck contact. There was contact with the head, period. That's a penalty, period. Dean didn't help his case by following through with his hands towards the head near the boards/glass. Add in an injury and that's enough for the ref to call a match due to recklessness.

This. Is. Not. The. NHL.

48.1. ILLEGAL CHECK TO THE HEAD OR NECK
There is no clean check to the head or neck. The Player delivering the hit must avoid hitting the opponent’s head or neck. A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. This rule supersedes all similar actions regarding hits to the head and neck. When a Player is skating with their head up, whether they are in possession of the puck and may reasonably be expecting impending contact, an opponent does not have the right to hit them on the head or neck. A Player who delivers a bodycheck to an opponent who is skating with the puck with their head down in the direction of the Player and does not use an upward motion or drive their body up into the opponent, shall not be penalized for an “illegal check to the head”. A penalty for illegal checking to the head or neck will be assessed if one of the following occurs when a player checks an opponent:

(I) A Player who directs a hit of any sort, with any part of their body or equipment, to the head or neck of an opposing Player or drives or forces the head of an opposing Player into the protective glass or boards using any part of their upper body.
(II) A Player who extends and directs any part of their upper body to contact the head or neck of an opponent
(III) A Player who extends their body upward or outward in order to reach their opponent or uses any part of the upper body to contact an opponent’s head or neck.
(IV) A Player who jumps (leaves their skates) to deliver a blow to the head or neck of an opponent.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Only top two should advance to the semis and it should be a best of 3 final. This loss to Canada means nothing just that maybe someone gets a tougher QF match than they would have normally expected given placement in the other group

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

The more we learn about CTE, the less any contact to the head will be tolerated. NHL rules will eventually align with the IIHF’s. Potential lawsuits will be the cause of it.

And yeah, fighting will also die out. Ever wonder why former NHL tough guys are dying at an alarming rate?

People shouldn't have to risk death or permanent damage for your entertainment .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad