U18: WJC U18 - Team Slovakia

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Didn't see the whole game, just going by the stats, 4 goals on 32 shots vs. Finns at the international level is not a blowout and decent, but not good enough at this level I'd say.

Huska and Tomek had very poor statistics on WCH 18. Much under 90 %. But every on,e who saw them in action there said, they were fantastic. So, if a goalie stops 6 or more difficult pucks, and then the next one goes in the net, that is a not bad performance.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
The result versus Canada really surprised me, I have to admit I expected a harsh blowout. Shame it wasn't streamed for free.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
After this result, I would be willing to take a bet that our U18 team is going to do better than the men's team. My cheeky prediction: Men 8th, U18s 4th (beating czechs along the way and getting a worse team in the playoffs)

Nice call with Czechs :)

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
I only realized this just now from EP - we have the 2nd youngest team in the tournament after the Russians (which is basically the U17 team)

Not bad! Typically in the U20s we quite "old" teams. Good to see Mikula taking the young guns + means these guys can still develop. First time in a while where I see something that's an indicator of a positive trend (albeit short term) in Slovak youth hockey.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
After this result, I would be willing to take a bet that our U18 team is going to do better than the men's team. My cheeky prediction: Men 8th, U18s 4th (beating czechs along the way and getting a worse team in the playoffs)

U18s got 5th, I wasn't miles off

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Tatar. Jurco, Gaborik, Hossa... Gold medal at 22nd May. Really hope in silver medal for Czechia. :laugh:

Gaborik and Hossa won't come. Tatar also has some issues with his arm, so he is questionable. And even with them, gold would be utopic :D

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Good to see Mikula taking the young guns + means these guys can still develop. First time in a while where I see something that's an indicator of a positive trend (albeit short term) in Slovak youth hockey.
It's not like Mikula was taking young guys with some long-term purpose. Simply, the best 98 born players are late borns, and 99 is so strong, that seven players made the team this year.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
It's not like Mikula was taking young guys with some long-term purpose. Simply, the best 98 born players are late borns, and 99 is so strong, that seven players made the team this year.

Absolutely agree, but happy for him to do that nonetheless. In my mind I guess I was comparing it to Bokros' style with the U20s, where he tends to like to take the older guys as a safer bet. I would have thought that's even more the case for coaches in the U18s as the development is a lot more exponential vs. even guys eligible in U20s. So in any case, you have to give Mikula some credit, even though it seemed like a no brainer to take those young guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad