GDT: WJC Thread | Jones (0-2-2); Rasanen (2-4-6) | USA wins the gold

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm interested to see which of the Team Canada forwards will be the best NHL player. There isn't really a sure thing out of that group to become a "star".

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Jones was outstanding defensively. Really strong. First time to see him play a lot, he looks like a high potential pro D to me. Skates well, thinks the game well. Loves to defend from the looks of it. Impressive.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I would say USA's second best D man after McAvoy?

Yeah I'd say probably best overall defensively considering the minutes he played (36 minutes at evens and pk only tonight) and probably middle of the pack offensively. Remember he got zero pp time the entire tournament. And his minutes weren't sheltered either, it was all against top line and #1pp.

I'd say there is an NHL player there. Very excited to see his transition to pro next year. The Oilers have to be extremely happy with Jones this tournament.

Kuudere

5-14-6-1
Feb 12, 2015
The City of SpOilers
Yeah I'd say probably best overall defensively considering the minutes he played (36 minutes at evens and pk only tonight) and probably middle of the pack offensively. Remember he got zero pp time the entire tournament. And his minutes weren't sheltered either, it was all against top line and #1pp.

I'd say there is an NHL player there. Very excited to see his transition to pro next year. The Oilers have to be extremely happy with Jones this tournament.

that's exciting to hear! Hope little Jones can be as good as his Brother...or even better :sarcasm:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
More than a bit petty of me but I didn't find myself awestruck by Barzal this tournament.

Makes the Reinhart trade sting a bit less.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
All i have to say is there should not be a shootout in international tournaments. Let the best team/country win 5v5, the way it was meant to be

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
All i have to say is there should not be a shootout in international tournaments. Let the best team/country win 5v5, the way it was meant to be

Or at least in the gold medal game. Who cares if you play late into the night, it's the last game. Round robin I get, and even semi's because they insist on compressing the schedule. Even the bronze because who cares about that game. But, the last game to win it all? Let them play!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oilers could have had Barzel and Stephens. Instead we have Reinhart.

Who cares about Barzal? Not really that impressed with him tbh. Chabot was the big miss, how good would it look to have him in the pipeline right about now (sigh).

Anyway, epic game somewhat tainted by a skills competition decider. I will never understand why a tournament with a bunch of kids who can skate for days can't have a multi-OT format in the Gold Medal game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not a fan of shootouts determining games like this.

Just not a fan of how overtime formats switch in general in tourneys. At least in the NHL it makes sense as you can't afford to have 5 on 5 hockey go for 4 OT periods where guys are playing back to backs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
More than a bit petty of me but I didn't find myself awestruck by Barzal this tournament.

Makes the Reinhart trade sting a bit less.

For someone that is supposed to be an assist machine, he sure hogged the puck and made some boneheaded decisions.

McJesu

Dec 6, 2016
Montreal
Tough pill to swallow, it just doesn't feel like Canada lost, I feel like they were the better team the entire length of the game. A shootout victory is what it is, the game was decided by some artificial contest that reflects little on how the game is played.

I'm interested to see which of the Team Canada forwards will be the best NHL player. There isn't really a sure thing out of that group to become a "star".

I would love to have either Chabot or Myers in the prospect pipeline. Joseph had a great tournament too but not sure how he'll translate to the NHL.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
For someone that is supposed to be an assist machine, he sure hogged the puck and made some boneheaded decisions.

I think the big drawback for Barzal was that he didn't have a trigger man or a pure shooter to pass to.

Barzal made countless grade A+ feeds for goals that guys like Strome & Dubois couldn't convert even though they were tap ins. This was happening all tournament long. I think by mid tournament i would have tried Barzal on a PP line with Jost and Gauthier since Dubois and Strome seemed to be struggling scoring goals agaisnt the tougher opponents. I think Barzal also took the wrong attitude towards this problem and started doing more himself rather than using his teammates better.

If anything my opinion of Barzal is unchanged after this tournament. However, I'm starting to have a more negative opinion of Strome and Dubois who didn't really do anything significant in this tournament.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Jones was outstanding defensively. Really strong. First time to see him play a lot, he looks like a high potential pro D to me. Skates well, thinks the game well. Loves to defend from the looks of it. Impressive.

I'm exciting to see Jones and Nurse on our D. Both seem to have a similar mean streak to them.

Also wasnt overly impressed with Barzel. Hadnt seen much of him before this and was expecting some great player due to the *****ing on here, but meh. Looks like a future whipping-boy to me.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think the big drawback for Barzal was that he didn't have a trigger man or a pure shooter to pass to.

Barzal made countless grade A+ feeds for goals that guys like Strome & Dubois couldn't convert even though they were tap ins. This was happening all tournament long. I think by mid tournament i would have tried Barzal on a PP line with Jost and Gauthier since Dubois and Strome seemed to be struggling scoring goals agaisnt the tougher opponents. I think Barzal also took the wrong attitude towards this problem and started doing more himself rather than using his teammates better.

If anything my opinion of Barzal is unchanged after this tournament. However, I'm starting to have a more negative opinion of Strome and Dubois who didn't really do anything significant in this tournament.

Strome is meh. At his prime, if he hits it, he might end up like Jordan Staal imo. Dubois, I still think is Lawson Crouse 2016. Kind spiked in scoring and because of size, was an attractive choice for a pick but in hindsight, might be one of those "successful because simply bigger than everyone else" kind of pick.

Neither players are gonna be game changers by any stretch is my guess.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Strome is meh. At his prime, if he hits it, he might end up like Jordan Staal imo. Dubois, I still think is Lawson Crouse 2016. Kind spiked in scoring and because of size, was an attractive choice for a pick but in hindsight, might be one of those "successful because simply bigger than everyone else" kind of pick.

Neither players are gonna be game changers by any stretch is my guess.

I don't disagree but I lean towards Strome being closer to a Rob Schremp than any type of NHL talent. I just don't think his skating is good enough to be elite at the NHL level. He's got the talent and enough size to be very productive in the OHL but i don't think his game translates well in the NHL.

Dubois & Crouse is probably a bang on comparison.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Dubois and Crouse really aren't much alike at all. Really bad comparison. Not to mention Crouse had 51 points in 56 games in his draft year, Dubois had 99 points (42 of them goals) in 62 games. He hasn't lived up to expectations in his post-draft year but he's got plenty of time to turn it around. I've watched him 20-30 times in juniors over the past two seasons (not counting this one) and I can tell you he's a much better, and different, player than he has shown so far. When he is on he's a dominant player and he's gonna be a very good NHLer who can do it all.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyway, happy for Jones. Great experience for him to be part of a championship-winning team and playing a key role to boot. Couldn't ask for much more.

Hopefully Wells and Benson makes Team Canada next year, would be nice to get those boys a gold medal too. Get that winning culture going :D

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
....:laugh:

Barzal was brutal all tournament....his game is all junior, never play in the NHL.

This after being brutal in last years tournament too. Not thrilled with the Reinhart trade but the Oilers didn't miss out on anything by not using that pick on Barzal.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010

I was incredibly disappointed in Dubois and Strome from the games I watched. Barzal was more impressive but considering his age I was still wanting more. All in all our offensive stars did not shine. Chabot was a force, and so was Colin White.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I agree with those who don't like the shootout to end the tournament. Even if Canada won, still hate the shootout to end the tourney.
At very least all final games should finish with 5vs5 overtimes. Even the relegation game shouldn't go to a shootout. Too much on the line.

:p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad