PGT: WJC Semi Finals: Game 28 | Finland Advances over Switzerland 6-1

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
SF-2.jpg

Full Tournament Schedule: IIHF - Schedule and Results 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship
Game Info: Game Summary

full

Finland
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
Lassi Lehtinen (G)
Filip Lindberg (G)
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (G)

Defensemen:
Henri Jokiharju (D)
Ville Heinola (D)
Anttoni Honka (D)
Oskari Laaksonen (D)
Otto Latvala (D)
Toni Utunen (D)
Urho Vaakanainen (D)

Forwards:
Teemu Engberg (LW/RW)
Aleksi Heponiemi (C)
Kaapo Kakko (RW)
Rasmus Kupari (C)
Anton Lundell (C/LW)
Sami Moilanen (LW/RW)
Linus Nyman (LW/RW)
Valtteri Puustinen (LW)
Aarne Talvitie (C)
Eeli Tolvanen (LW/RW)
Samuli Vainionpää (F/D)
Santeri Virtanen (C)
Jesse Ylönen (RW)

full

Switzerland
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
Luca Hollenstein (G)
Akira Schmid (G)
Gianluca Zaetta (G)

Defensemen:
David Aebischer (D)
Davyd Barandun (D)
Tim Berni (D)
Nico Gross (D)
Simon Le Coultre (D)
Janis Jérôme Moser (D)

Forwards:
Yannick Brüschweiler (LW)
Nando Eggenberger (LW/RW)
Jeremi Gerber (RW)
Philipp Kurashev (C)
Marco Lehmann (C)
Sven Leuenberger (C/RW)
Nicolas Müller (C/RW)
Valentin Nussbaumer (C/W)
Sandro Schmid (C/RW)
Justin Sigrist (C/LW)
Ramon Tanner (C)
Matthew Verboon (RW/C)

2 Roster Spots Available - Still In Camp
Gianluca Burger (D)
Tobias Geisser (D)
Luca Wyss (LW)

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It will be a close game. I really like what the Swiss coach is saying to the media and it makes me a little bit scared. If the Swiss win, it is an upset but Finns record against Switzerland is like 50-50 so it wouldn’t surprise me too much.

Switzerland is maybe the most scary team to play against the Finns. They are an ”underdog” but they work maybe harder than any team in these international tournament (U20/men) and they have a lot heart.

And just last year at the mens WHC we were eliminated by them. I don’t think we are bad, I just think the Swiss are very good.

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Since the Swiss managed to beat Sweden, I feel like they can beat anyone in the tournament. Yeah, Finland is still the favorite to win but it wouldn't surprise me if Swiss wins gold in the end. They seem to have the biggest heart and team spirit, that will usually take you far in these short tournaments.

Reactions: 1OApick and LAINEC

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Switzerland going to come hard with lots of team spirit. But nothing is more energizing than having beaten Canada on home soil. Finland takes this one. 4-2.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Finland should win this easily, as long as they don't think that it's in the bag. If they play with the intensity they had against Canada, I think that this should be a win. However, knowing Finland of the recent years, it's tough to be confident about anything...

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This will be a floodgates open theme park stroll for the Finns. Or then not. It can also be a toboggan slide - or an uphill battle, for that matter, if things start to go south as they have a tendency to do sometimes.

Anyways, good luck to Team Helvetica. It will most likely be an uphill battle for you, guys, but I guess you can also do the needed mountaineering, not only drive with a heated gondola up to drink a cup of steaming hot chocolate and take a shot of brandy before zigzagging down the green route.

Eiger, Matternhorn, Mount Blanc - peanuts, you say. Might be. Still Team Finland is a bit tougher nut to crack. But as said, good luck. It will be an uphill battle. And you know it.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I'll give advantage for Swiss as they beat better team yesterday
Which better team? Oh you mean Sweden? Yeah...yesterday Sweden were as good as Slovakia. I'm not trying to take a shit on Slovakia but Sweden were no way near their usual level.

Swiss are good, they played well against every team in their group. And against Sweden yesterday. I think it will be a tight game for sure. But Finland won't play as bad as Sweden did, so i bet on Finland to take the victory.

Reactions: Rob

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Switzerland is maybe the most scary team to play against the Finns.

Significantly less scary than Sweden, Canada, USA or Russia because they're not nearly as good as any of those teams. That doesn't mean they can't beat Finland but they're way less likely to do so than the big four.

And just last year at the mens WHC we were eliminated by them.

And then they beat Canada in the semifinals even though anyone who watched the game could see that Canada was easily the better team. Those things happen in a best-of-one format in a fairly low-scoring sport. That doesn't change the fact that Finland has about a 75 percent chance to advance to the final in this WJC. It wouldn't be anywhere near that if they were playing a major hockey country like Sweden.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It will be a close game. I really like what the Swiss coach is saying to the media and it makes me a little bit scared. If the Swiss win, it is an upset but Finns record against Switzerland is like 50-50 so it wouldn’t surprise me too much.

Switzerland is maybe the most scary team to play against the Finns. They are an ”underdog” but they work maybe harder than any team in these international tournament (U20/men) and they have a lot heart.

And just last year at the mens WHC we were eliminated by them. I don’t think we are bad, I just think the Swiss are very good.

Our so called "coach" is a joke though. Not just a clueless clown like Fischer, he's also a complete lunatic. He shouts at his players like mad. At times even slaps them. If a teacher did this, he'd lose his job immediately. I don't think a single player has the slightest bit of respect for this crazy idiot. Swiss teams could do much better with proper coaches but sadly you only need one hand to count the Swiss Coaches actually able to coach at this level. Something needs to change. International games of pretty much all Swiss national teams are clown shows...our talented players deserve much better.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki

Well, I think they are about the 6th scariest team in this tournament. Of the three countries left besides Finland they are the least scary by far. Of course they have to be respected and they are fully capable of beating us - they skate like hell and are very disciplined, but we are the favourites. Never a comfortable position for Finland and it will be a close game but I expect a win.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
It will be a low-scoring game, which makes it "scary". I feel like it's going to come down to how much Finland can hold on to the puck, as that is the fundamental part of their game (as it seems). Quality of passes needs to be better than in previous matches, so that they can comfortably let the Swiss keep chasing around and run out their feet from below their legs.

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
Our so called "coach" is a joke though. Not just a clueless clown like Fischer, he's also a complete lunatic. He shouts at his players like mad. At times even slaps them. If a teacher did this, he'd lose his job immediately. I don't think a single player has the slightest bit of respect for this crazy idiot. Swiss teams could do much better with proper coaches but sadly you only need one hand to count the Swiss Coaches actually able to coach at this level. Something needs to change. International games of pretty much all Swiss national teams are clown shows...our talented players deserve much better.

I used to play on a Team he coached and I definitely can agree with u that he is a lil crazy to some degree and vocal if pple f*** up. But he also brings alot of positive emotions with him. This coach is a master in motivation and i think he is the right coach for a junior national team. If the screaming or temper is too much for one to take, u can retire from hockey. There is plenty of rough coaches out there in professional sports, as player u wont get anywhere with a thin skin. A teacher is just not the same as a hockeycoach......He has a lot of passion in him he breaths hockey and he understands to transmit that to his team. Besides that I think Wohlwend and his staff also makes a good job in the tactics and gameplans.

How did u come to the conclusion hes a joke or not suitable? Because he screams at his players? Results?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad