GDT: [WJC] Latvia vs. Canada, 6pm EST 10/8/22

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Really bad missed calls and even worse calls that were not actual penalties. Overall just awful job by the refs in that video you shared.
You do know it was Russia on home-ice in Sotchi with Putin in the stands? I`m pretty sure the refs got thick envelopes after the game...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You do know it was Russia on home-ice in Sotchi with Putin in the stands? I`m pretty sure the refs got thick envelopes after the game...
It was actually in Minsk (not home ice yet) with no Putin in the stands but ok.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Latvia doesn't belong in this tournament, all you have to do to know that is watch last night's game Canada wasn't even close to their A game and they won 5-2.

Latvia has a LONG way to go

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
When the Wings could have gotten Wallstedt - yeah, I feel bad.
Cossa has a weak mental game and doesn't show up during big moments. He crumbles.
That's what I have seen since his draft. I'm sorry if that upsets you - but I feel bad for the Wings fanbase,
"I feel bad for..."

Dude, stop trolling. MAF was considered mentally weak till he was 30, and hes going to the HHOF.

People used to say Carey Price wasn't a playoff goalie because he had terrible playoff stats till he was 25 or so. Vasilevski was part of the powerhouse team that choked in 2019. Not every goalie starts their career like Patrick Roy.

Either you know very little about the position and hockey in general, or you're just trying to troll. Which is it?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Calling Cossa a bad pick is not trolling. Solid arguments are being given by GermanSpitfire as to why. Attacking his opinion just because you disagree with it is weak.

Cossa was projected by most draft experts as a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder at best. Wallstedt was clearly the unanimous best goalie prospect in his draft class and a top 10 pick by many here.

Yzerman trading up for Cossa was bizarre to say the least. He needed a goalie and he traded up to choose the lesser rated goalie. Why? It's yet another example of Yzerman trying to appear smarter than everyone else. We saw it with the ridiculously bad Kasper pick in this past draft.
He wants to built his team his way under his image. And he doesn't care if it goes against consensus opinion of most. It's this level of cockiness that wings fans are going to regret.

Reactions: Emrasie

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, clearly Yzerman has no eye for talent has lucked his way through his GM career so far. I'm hardly on the Cossa hype train, I think he has issues tracking the puck and has been exposed almost every time he jumps up in competition higher than the junior level, but people feeling "sorry" for the Wings can save their crocodile tears for when the Wings are clowning their teams in the near future. I wanted Wallstedt, but he let in two stinkers today against a Swiss team that didn't seem all that much more impressive than Latvia. Cossa at least kept his team comfortably ahead while they got outplayed in the final period.

And Kasper being called a ridiculously bad pick is the funniest thing I've seen today, and I spent part of it watching looney tunes. Kid is a stud and will be in the league after next season.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Yeah, clearly Yzerman has no eye for talent has lucked his way through his GM career so far.

He absolutely has.
All his first round picks (aside from Vasilevsky) in Tampa were blunders. He got lucky with Kucherov, Point and Palat. I mean if he was such a great evaluator of talent, he would have chosen all players in the 1st round to begin with? Palat was ridiculous luck. His drafting in Tampa was very bad in the high rounds.
Yzerman was skilled in trades during his tenure in Tampa and that has carried on in Detroit. But his eye for talent is questionable given exactly his track record.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Yeah, clearly Yzerman has no eye for talent has lucked his way through his GM career so far. I'm hardly on the Cossa hype train, I think he has issues tracking the puck and has been exposed almost every time he jumps up in competition higher than the junior level, but people feeling "sorry" for the Wings can save their crocodile tears for when the Wings are clowning their teams in the near future. I wanted Wallstedt, but he let in two stinkers today against a Swiss team that didn't seem all that much more impressive than Latvia. Cossa at least kept his team comfortably ahead while they got outplayed in the final period.

And Kasper being called a ridiculously bad pick is the funniest thing I've seen today, and I spent part of it watching looney tunes. Kid is a stud and will be in the league after next season.
Wallstedt looked ultra-confident last night, until he was looking back in the net for the pucks that eluded him.

These goalies are way bigger crap-shoots than skaters. Why even bother debating their merits based on one game?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah it happens but so what?
You guys were whining after IIHF worlds gold medal game referees favorited Finland.
But that officiating wasn't worse what's happened IIHF worlds last years.

Thank you for agreeing that IIHF refereeing stinks.

We’ve been saying it for years.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Thank you for agreeing that IIHF refereeing stinks.

We’ve been saying it for years.
At the risk of being berated by other posters, when the bubble 2021 tournament was run with exclusively Canadian Major Junior referees it was the best officiated tournament I have seen to date. They let the players play (and when you have a high-level international tournament that’s the best way to do it, very few grinders at that level) without micromanaging the game in the way most European referees tend to do. Sure, no officiating is perfect, but when they let the game flow and it was refreshing to see international games without 10+ penalties a game

Reactions: NyQuil

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Latvia doesn't belong in this tournament, all you have to do to know that is watch last night's game Canada wasn't even close to their A game and they won 5-2.

10 years ago they’d be losing 15-0, 5-2 against Canada is nothing to be ashamed of

Reactions: SenzZen

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If you think the roster of this quality "doesn't belong" in this tournament, who does? Unless you are arguing for less teams in the top division, get over yourself. Something like Switzerland has sent many rosters objectively weaker than this to the WJC, they don't belong either?

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Latvia absolutely belongs in this tournament. Are they a contender? No. But but this Latvia group could absolutely challenge teams like Germany, Slovakia, and Switzerland. Could probably even make a game of it vs the Czechs. And they're clearly better than Austria.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah it happens but so what?
You guys were whining after IIHF worlds gold medal game referees favorited Finland.
But that officiating wasn't worse what's happened IIHF worlds last years.

Here's worst reffing in IIHF worlds ever.

Wanna cry more?

And Finn fans whined about that game and still do to this day years after the fact.

Every year every game some fans from every team whine about how hard done by they are, EVERY COUNTRIES FANS.

Yet every year you hear every countries fans WHINE about about how the opposing countries fans are babies for whining.....................like it's an exclusive thing. Yet these same fans are the first one to be whining about refs in games that involve their teams.

It isn't a Canadian trait or a Finnish trait or a Russian trait, or a U.S trait or a swedish trait.............they all f***in do it!! It's a segment of fans in each country playing and take note, usually the same ones every hear every game like clockwork.

and each year it just goes on and on, why can't fans acknowledge this and realize how silly it all is and decide to cut it out and jut watch the games without all the bullshit? theres nothing wrong in fans questioning a call but all the other stuff is just nationalistic finger pointing, trolling horse shit.

But no, every year they've got to come to all the gdts and spew this nonsense, they aren't here to watch the game, they are here to rile people up and turn every GDT into a shit show. Usually the same culprits each and every year too, think about that and what it says about them.

Just can't help themselves. But god damn if I hear one more fan talk about how honourable their fan base is while others are the worst in the world and worse yet, make their only reason for being in a gdt here to spew this nonsense every single game I'm going to start getting physically ill.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Latvia absolutely belongs in this tournament. Are they a contender? No. But but this Latvia group could absolutely challenge teams like Germany, Slovakia, and Switzerland. Could probably even make a game of it vs the Czechs. And they're clearly better than Austria.

Austria doesn't belong in the tournament either

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
And Finn fans whined about that game and still do to this day years after the fact.

Every year every game fans from every team whine about how hard done by they are, EVERY COUNTRIES FANS.

Yet every year you hear every countries fans WHINE about about how the opposing countries fans are babies for whining.....................like it's an exclusive thing. Yet these same fans are the first one to be whining about refs in games that involve their teams.

It isn't a Canadian trait or a Finnish trait or a Russian trait, or a U.S trait or a swedish trait.............they all f***in do it!!

and each year it just goes on and on, why can't fans acknowledge this and realize how silly it allis and decide to cut it out and jut watch the games without all the bullshit? theres nothing wrong in fans questioning a call but all the other stuff is just nationalistic finger pointing, trolling horse shit.

But no, every year they've got to come to all the gdts and spew this nonsense, they aren't here to watch the game, they are here to rile people up and turn every GDT into a shit show. Usually the same culprits each and every year too, think about that and what it says about them.

Just can't help themselves. But god damn if I hear one more fan talk about how honourable their fan base is while others are the worst in the world and worse yet, make their only reason for being in a gdt here to spew this nonsense every single game I'm going to start getting physically ill.

except for me. I don't whine about officiating at IIHF tournaments. I expect it to be bottom rung and the IIHF delivers each time.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Austria doesn't belong in the tournament either
While we're at it, let's just make it a 5 team tournament. Only include teams that have a real shot at gold.

Or, maybe we let these developing hockey nations continue to develop and get increasingly competitive. Germany used to be a consistently relegated nation, and now they are looking like a tournament mainstay despite missing significant players from their talent pool.

Reactions: jj cale

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
While we're at it, let's just make it a 5 team tournament. Only include teams that have a real shot at gold.

Or, maybe we let these developing hockey nations continue to develop and get increasingly competitive. Germany used to be a consistently relegated nation, and now they are looking like a tournament mainstay despite missing significant players from their talent pool.
While we're at it, let's just make it a 1 team tournament. Only include Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad