WJC in Tampa?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w...ampa-bay-puts-in-official-bid-for-tournament/

While it’s not considered a traditional hockey market, Tampa Bay has shown they’ve got love for the game. Now, in an attempt to showcase their incredible fan support on the international stage, the city has put in an official bid for the 2018 World Junior Championship, which is to be held in the United States.

According to the Tampa Bay Times’ Joe Smith, the group hoping to bring the tournament to Florida filed its official bid by the end of June and they’re hoping USA Hockey, which will narrow down the applications and suggest a host to the IIHF, leans in favor of Tampa Bay.
“Tampa is very formidable in the conversation,†Dave Fischer, the senior director of communications for USA Hockey, told Smith. “The (Lightning) owner (Jeff Vinik) and sports commission is aggressive. We’ll see where it winds up.â€

Fischer said told Smith the host city for 2018 will be decided by the end of the year, in time for the 2016 tournament, which kicks off in Helsinki, Finland in December.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
If Tampa gets the WJC, Bolts will be have to be on a 10-12 day road trip. Yikes...

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I so want this to happen! PLEASE MAKE THIS COME TRUE! WJC is such an entertaining event. For the casual fan they will be surprised about the tenacity and level of play these youngsters go out. Extremely entertaining hockey.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Having just moved here and being involved in the hockey world I would absolutely be thrilled if the tournament came here. Looking forward to the Frozen Four next spring as is. Be an exciting tap on the shoulder for the city of Tampa and the state of Florida as a whole as far as the hockey radar goes. I don't think anyone in the world would mind coming here at the end of December, to boot. Love what I've seen as far as fan support here in the Tampa area for the Lightning. It's been great to see as a hockey fan and anytime ignorant schmucks elsewhere try to criticize it in the usual "non-traditional/Florida/blah blah" nonsense I'm already quick to defend what's an already very good and continuing to grow hockey market here. WJC would be a great fit.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Hey, the Blackhawks do it twice a year every year and it seems to work ok for them ;) Maybe they're on to something! Good team-building. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad