WJC Group A: Dec 28 GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

langdak

Dec 13, 2005
Langley, BC
RallyKiller said:
They were cheering for Norway too, they must feel threatend or something.

Threatened? NOT in the least

If it wasnt for the bonehead missed offside call in the 3rd, the game would have been tied after regulation

Myself and a whole building full of other people have no problem cheering on the underdog when the US is playing, you cant tell me it wouldnt be exactly the same if the tournament was in the states.

A USA fan cheering for canada? HA, like that will ever happen.

And just for the record, when the US plays the swiss, you can count on me cheering for the swiss, as much as i have for Norway and Finland. The US are a slightly different team when the big guns are shut down, more then apparant tonite.

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Joretus

Have to say ref wasn't too good. Actually quite bad. Mostly because he did throw dice for his calls. Well Finland didn't lost because of that, but anyway.

Secondly I have to say, Rämö come home, there is icehockey tournament going and seems like you don't know that goalies CAN use their sticks too. It's allowed in hockey.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Joretus said:
Secondly I have to say, Rämö come home, there is icehockey tournament going and seems like you don't know that goalies CAN use their sticks too. It's allowed in hockey.

Nah, I prefer Rämö to Rask. Rämö has better rebound control and he seems to be more confident in net than Rask.

Joretus

blacklabel said:
Nah, I prefer Rämö to Rask. Rämö has better rebound control and he seems to be more confident in net than Rask.

If letting 3-4 soft goals per game is confident then I have to ask what's the sign of not having confidence? And another note, it's same if you are confident or not if you can't remember things which goalies should learn in age of 7-8 KEEP YOUR STICK ON ICE.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Joretus said:
If letting 3-4 soft goals per game is confident then I have to ask what's the sign of not having confidence? And another note, it's same if you are confident or not if you can't remember things which goalies should learn in age of 7-8 KEEP YOUR STICK ON ICE.

True..

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Joretus said:

3-4 softies? The only goal he should have stopped was the 4th goal (a bit lucky though) and keep in mind that he made some huge saves on PKs and was several times hung out to dry thanks to our horrible defence. Finland got 28 penalty minutes and most of the goals were scored on PP so I wouldn't blame Rämö for the loss.

Edit: And I don't blame Rask either for letting in 5 goals in the Canada game. It was our D's fault. I'm just saying judging by these two games I find Rämö better.

Last edited:

SChan*

lol funny how the losing team is always complaining at the refs. I think I have seen that in every GDT thread now. Get over it, USA was better.

And the finnish fans think it's some kind of conspiracy because a swedish ref called the game. Oh man, how typical to accuse sweden. These refs might be crap, but they're not calling the game against your favorite country. Swedes are known to be one of the fairest people in the world when it comes to cheating and non use of steriods in sports.

The finns should known that. And the ref calling the game in the US favor because he hate finland is BS. Sweden dont hate finland, and I love fins. I have finnish friends called Tomi and Markku.

Joretus

blacklabel said:
3-4 softies? The only goal he should have stopped was the 4th goal (a bit lucky though) and keep in mind that he made some huge saves on PKs and was several times hung out to dry thanks to our horrible defence. Finland got 28 penalty minutes and most of the goals were scored on PP so I wouldn't blame Rämö for the loss.

Edit: And I don't blame Rask either for letting in 5 goals in the Canada game. It was our D's fault. I'm just saying judging by these two games I find Rämö better.

I'm not blaming any1, just saying Rämö let soft goals. He didn't keep his stick on ice and because of that USA got at least 3 goals. Sure he didn't have straight eye-sight, but still should have been saving those 3 at least.

And yes our D did suck too, but with normal goaltending those 3 wouldn't have come.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
SectionX said:
lol funny how the losing team is always complaining at the refs. I think I have seen that in every GDT thread now. Get over it, USA was better.

And the finnish fans think it's some kind of conspiracy because a swedish ref called the game. Oh man, how typical to accuse sweden. These refs might be crap, but they're not calling the game against your favorite country. Swedes are known to be one of the fairest people in the world when it comes to cheating and non use of steriods in sports.

The finns should known that. And the ref calling the game in the US favor because he hate finland is BS. Sweden dont hate finland, and I love fins. I have finnish friends called Tomi and Markku.

No one is here accusing Sweden for the loss. And actually no one is accusing the ref for the loss, at least I'm not. We all know that the better team won and the ref called stupud penalties for the US also. But the fact is that the ref was horrible.

And btw, did you even watch the game? :shakehead

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Pepper said:
I was shocked to hear the "Lets go Finland!" chant several times in the arena, Canucks really hate US it seems.

Ya it's a real mystery...US is Canada's biggest rival, biggest threat and the team standing in their way in the round robin stage. Geez I wonder why the fans were cheering for Finland...:dunce:

SChan*

blacklabel said:
No one is here accusing Sweden for the loss. And actually no one is accusing the ref for the loss, at least I'm not. We all know that the better team won and the ref called stupud penalties for the US also. But the fact is that the ref was horrible.

And btw, did you even watch the game? :shakehead

no i didn't. I just don't like comments because it was a swedish ref it he is assumed to be biased against finland.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
USA! said:
Ya I would say both the US and Canada have some work to do really quick like.

This is my favorite time of year mainly because of this fine tournament. I really really hope that one day it catches on in the U.S. because it is played at much higher level than any of the college tourneys dotting the TV schedules during the Christmas season. I think though that some relative new comers to this tourney need to understand a couple of things.

First, there are five teams that have a realistic chance at winning this thing year in and year out and just because a team is considered the favorite, the favorite does not always win becasue the difference between them and the rest of the field is very very slight.

Secondly, please do not use Canada's performance last year as the barometer of how the "favorite" team should play. That was an exceptional team, the strongest in memory and one that could take a night off, make mistakes, play poorly and still pummel the competition.

The fact is that the U.S. won against a good Finnish team. So what that we did not "dominate" the game, we still won! Yes mistakes were made and yes the team still needs to improve but guess what? So do all the rest of the teams!

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
SectionX said:
no i didn't. I just don't like comments because it was a swedish ref it he is assumed to be biased against finland.

that werent even mentioned until some american asked it..
just the fact that ref ruins a game pisses me off...

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
SectionX said:
Sweden dont hate finland, and I love fins. I have finnish friends called Tomi and Markku.

This makes me smile :) hehe.

Lets hope Finland beats Switzerland and Norway and Sweden beats Slovakia and Latvia.. so we will have an interesting quaterfinal to look forward to.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Canuck21t said:
I don't think that's quite true. Many Canadians just don't like Americans succeeding in hockey. This "hate" towards the US is not only seen in this tourney but is seen in almost all hockey tournements. I remember when the US was playing against Russia in the '96 World Cup, Canadians were actually cheering for Russia. Some Canadian fans were interviewed and they said that they rather see Canada lose to Russia than to the US.

There is an Absolute Hate...........I have been to and watch many so many international sporting events and the ONLY time I have EVER heard a National Anthem booed/heckled was by Canadian Fans to the Star Spangled Banner.

Not Even during the Height of the "Cold War" have I ever heard an Anthem heckled before.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
This is my favorite time of year mainly because of this fine tournament. I really really hope that one day it catches on in the U.S. because it is played at much higher level than any of the college tourneys dotting the TV schedules during the Christmas season. I think though that some relative new comers to this tourney need to understand a couple of things.

First, there are five teams that have a realistic chance at winning this thing year in and year out and just because a team is considered the favorite, the favorite does not always win becasue the difference between them and the rest of the field is very very slight.

Secondly, please do not use Canada's performance last year as the barometer of how the "favorite" team should play. That was an exceptional team, the strongest in memory and one that could take a night off, make mistakes, play poorly and still pummel the competition.

The fact is that the U.S. won against a good Finnish team. So what that we did not "dominate" the game, we still won! Yes mistakes were made and yes the team still needs to improve but guess what? So do all the rest of the teams!

Good points. It's heartening in a way that the U.S. wasn't 100% and still won. Hopefully the team learns from what went wrong against Finland and is better against the Swiss and then proceeds to be even better against Canada. That's what this tournament is about anyway, steady improvement into the medal round.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
JimEIV said:
There is an Absolute Hate...........I have been to and watch many so many international sporting events and the ONLY time I have EVER heard a National Anthem booed/heckled was by Canadian Fans to the Star Spangled Banner.

Not Even during the Height of the "Cold War" have I ever heard an Anthem heckled before.

most of the time canadians don't even know why they hate the US, and think they have to establish their own national identity apart from the US by hating it ;) (this is kind of tongue-in-cheek...though there's some element of truth in it, but it's not a big deal)

but when it comes to hockey, i think canadians sometimes see it as more being "their" sport and don't want to see the US take that away from them in any way.

i don't really have a point...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
blacklabel said:
Yeah that was a very weak call. What the hell was the ref thinking? :shakehead

Maybe he watched the Finland - Canada game where Komarov got a hooking call when the Canadian was holding his stick, and thought he was clever calling it like that...

BTW, those who saw the rest of the game (I had to leave for work at 5-3), did Laakso really score the last goal, because YLE and Ilta-Sanomat were claiming that Tukonen scored the last two goals. I'm glad if Laakso scored, but sorry if I missed it...

Anything he produces here with Seppänen is a big bonus since Seppänen is definitely the weakest link in the team, and when he's on ice Finland can barely get out of their own zone or keep the puck in the offensive zone... It's not really fair on Laakso, but I guess Aravirta is playing him with Seppänen so that it's the most experienced and the least experienced in the same pair...

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Only three points and the game winning assist?

Man Bobby Ryan sucks.

You called him true there, JP.

BTW, I didn't realise you weren't watching the game..that's pretty funny how you can still argue with me over the performance of a player lol.

:biglaugh:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
langdak said:
Threatened? NOT in the least

If it wasnt for the bonehead missed offside call in the 3rd, the game would have been tied after regulation

Myself and a whole building full of other people have no problem cheering on the underdog when the US is playing, you cant tell me it wouldnt be exactly the same if the tournament was in the states.

A USA fan cheering for canada? HA, like that will ever happen.

And just for the record, when the US plays the swiss, you can count on me cheering for the swiss, as much as i have for Norway and Finland. The US are a slightly different team when the big guns are shut down, more then apparant tonite.

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I guess you weren't in Grand Forks last year when myself and the majority of Americans cheered for your team in the gold medal game.Get your facts straight Canuck.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Dakota Sioux said:
I guess you weren't in Grand Forks last year when myself and the majority of Americans cheered for your team in the gold medal game.Get your facts straight Canuck.

Would you have done it if the Russians hadn't been "showboating" against your team earlier..?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Dakota Sioux said:

The only reason that happened was because of events between USA and Russia in their game the night before. It wasn't because of any deep love for Canada.

espo*

JimEIV said:

You're wrong.The first time i ever heard it done was to the Canadian national anthem by Bronx fans during a pennant drive the Yankees had with the blue-jays in the 80's.

A few years ago when the leafs were in town for the rangers they actually burned the Canadian flag in the parking lot.

Looks like you guys are the innovators once again.Rock and roll,anthem booing and flag burning..................American originals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
That booing incident to the US anthem happened once, in Montreal, several years ago. I don't remember it ever having been done before, or since. The city of Montreal apologized, as did the Habs organization. It only happened because of non-hockey related political events that we don't need to bring up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad