WJC Gold Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Canada vs. USA (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Congrats USA.

Fluery Sucked - no denying it. Canada let another slip away.

I will never watch this tournement again. Can't work anymore… going home sick

Throw-up, Throw-up.

jer96

Jul 4, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
On one hand I want to say congrats to Team USA, but on the other hand I got the big ol middle finger and a whole bunch of expletives. You can choose which one to look at.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
The better team one.

Team Canada has amazing talent and some of the best individual hockey players ever assembled. Certainly more talent on paper than USA is as far as depth at every position goes.

Here is (if you aren't already skipping or asleep) some good bads I saw in the tourney for the two teams and such.

Good
I pray to jesus that not only were G Betteman watching this tourney and how great the play were in it but that he takes action to fix the NHL by changing our game to exactly the same as the intl game is. OK, we can leave out some of the penalty rules but as to the bigger ice, automatic icing, two line pass rules (etc) its time to make the change. We have lots of european players in the NHL and the players on average are bigger and more talented (there are simply more of them) than in the past and the bigger ice and other changes would make the game regain its flow in my opinion and take us away from the constant contact away from the puck and the horrid trap crappp.

The effort by both teams. These kids put thier all on ever shift and did the best the could do all out all the time and while some were better than others, I doubt that anyone tried any more or less than anyone else and that is something that you don't see in the NHL anymore all that often.

USA showed allot of class in its celebration by not going out of thier way to shove the win down anyones throats.

Canada showed allot of class by going right to Fluery and supporting him even though he had an average tourney and made his mistakes. It shows allot of character and team behaviour to do so and I thought that were great.

Phanueff. I can't wait to see him in the NHL. Brutal.
Stewart. He looked solid every game and showed leadership skills that were fantastic.

Carter. Everything advertised. He is a dandy with a bag full of moves. Good one.

Pialle. Heart and soul guy who actually drives the net with everything he has. Reminded me of a Deadmarsh kind of guy in his spirited playing style.

Tambellini. He didn't get much ice time as a fourth liner but he did allot with what he were given. I am a homer on him but he showed me allot for the little he recieved.

Parise. Well, he sure showed me and allot of others how much of a mad skilled bloke he is. What a player. He showed allot of every great component you want to see in a kid who is going to be a future captain in the NHL. Wow.

Stuart. Solid. Fierce. Fast. Ready. My neg on him is that he needs to remember that his TEAM is playing too and that he should be setting the example of team first. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing and think he will be a true NHL great.

Sutter. Good. He has nice skills and had a solid tourney.

Patrick O'Sully. I am happy to see this kid have a great game today as I know exactly what he had to go through growing up. (or have an opinion based on a simmilar experience) Good speed and a real don't quit attitude.

Brady Murray. Proved he could play in the tourney with the players that were there. He looked very good and better than a fifth round pick would indicate. Not a top tier player. Just good enough to be a Jason Blake kind of bloke if he makes potential.

I know I am leaving out allot of talented kids here but those are what comes to mind on the good side right now and since nobody truly cares what I think, I don't mind leaving out some.

The Bad

The officiating were awful in this game and in the tourney in general. At least it were awful both ways.

TSN and its totally biased coverage on all levels during the game play. Not talking about the rest and in between periods stuff as it is Canada's network and should be that way. Pierre though, were not only wrong often, but sounded like a total loon who couldn't say anything good about anything or anyone unless it had a maple leaf on it. He is supposed to be an unbiased reporter of the game and instead, he just made his self look stupid in my opinion. Bad form.

Sidney Crosby. Now first I want to say he is an amazing talent and going to be a great player. I just think that all of the 99 comparisons can be put to rest with him and we can all get back down to him being a great young talent again. He had so many great scoring chances in this game alone if he would only have passed the puck that you have to think that if he ever does learn to use his line mates that he might just be a 99jr. For now, he wasn't as good as he has been hyped to be. Great yes, great one? I don't think so.

Fluery. I feel bad for this kid. I blame his getting shelled in Pitts for destroying his game and confidence and why had an average at best tourney. It looked to me that he is a kid who were rushed into the NHL and since he weren't ready developed some bloody awful habbits while there in order to try and survive and is going to need at least a couple of years in the minors to regain his game. Sad as I feel that if he weren't rushed into NHL service that he just might have been the best ever. Now, who knows.

Getzlav. He were open for some great scoring chances today and in every game I seen him in during the tourney. He just isn't a finisher. Now, granted, I am basing this on this tourney and don't know what he will do anywhere else. I just didn't see anything special in him and feel that he were just an average bloke out there. Good size, good speed and skating, bad finisher, bad effort getting back.

Anderson the ref. That guy truly blew allot of calls and were totally inconsistent in every game I saw him in especially this one. I know it is international but I expect better than that.

The tourney mascot. Most of the time those things smell but at least you tend to know what they were trying to do. This one were awful.

That bobble head whiskey bottle thing that they gave the player of the game. What the heck were that thing anyways?

Well, those are my impressions. I loved the play and the tourney and while I didn't get to see my players do anything extra special the tourney itself were always exciting and certainly more fun to watch than most regular season NHL games as far as I am concerned.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
st_roland said:
GOLD FOR THE US!!! What a thrill! My heart is swollen with pride.

OUCH!!

Congrats to US, never gave up and earned their breaks. Fleury wasn't handling the puck well but made a lot of good saves. Just wasn't his day. Canada had lots of opportunity to go up 4-1 but couldn't bury it on Montoya. Team played well but they lost.

Parise well deserved MVP; All those minutes played and not a single goal against the whole tournament.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Oh boy, I sure do wanna cry. A collapse in the third period. I saw the game up until the US scored at 1-1 and then I had to head for school. I kept on wondering about the score. Fifth period, teacher told me it was 3-1 Canada. Gold Medal for us for sure. Boy I was wrong, end of school at 3pm, another teacher tells me they lost 4-3, I thought it was a joke. Thats embarrassing. The goal, Fleury! WTF happened? Now I'll have to see clips to see for myself. Congrats USA.

nordique

Unnnnnh...Fleury clearing attempt ricochets off a Canadian player and back in the net.

THAT'S how we lost? Aaaugh.

13 potential returning players...maybe next year they bribe the Panthers and Bruins to let Horton and Bergeron play.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Hopefully this does some good for hockey in the USA. The game can only be served in the long run if more and better young athletes focus on this sport instead of some other. A WJC might get some air time, and maybe that Herb Brooks movie (Miracle, with real-life hockey dad Kurt Russell) will be a hit.

But, dang.

King of Kelvington

Aug 3, 2002
Congrats to the american team, they were better, i think in a seven game set, they'd still come out on top. WOW, Montoya and Parise had a great tourney!!! :bow:

KillToronto

Is there any place I can go to see highlites of this game yet?

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Sigh... Always the bridesmaid it seems... I taped the game as I was at school and I come home trying to avoid everyone talking about it. I succeeded. Get to second intermission, 3-1, everything looks good and I fast forward through the intermission. Then, with my excellent hearing, I heard what sounded like the radio from the kitchen say 4-3... Then the goals came... What a cruddy day :)

Ah well, congrats to the US. I'm proud of this Canadian team. Went from an outside shot at the Gold to favorite come the medal game. What a rollercoaster of a game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Congrats to the USA! I agree also that this was one of the very good game I have seen in a while. Well deserved win by the US and we saw players on both teams that will have GREAT NHL careers in a few years. The future is bright for both countries.

I thought Canada would win it this year but it was not meant to be. Depending on who returns next year, watch out, this team could be great.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
As an Albertan and a Flyer Fan, I must say that I am extremely happy about the play of Richards and Carter........they will be good ones no doubt in the NHL......

A great Hockey game and the NHL should bloody well be taking notes......awesome up and down action.......and indeed the Best team won and I am very happy for the U.S. team as one who wants too see hockey prosper down there this will hopefully be a lift.......

This is the world's greatest game......anytime the U.S. wins is a good thing to advertise the game in the most powerful country on earth.....and our Best friends!!!

Good work U.S.A. and kudos to the Canucks for getting a Silver....

Thanks

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
punchy1 said:
I pray to jesus that not only were G Betteman watching this tourney and how great the play were in it but that he takes action to fix the NHL by changing our game to exactly the same as the intl game is.

You watched a junior game and got all excited, and now you're proposing changes that won't work in the NHL unless you make it an under-20 league.

Sit down a minute. It will pass.

st_roland

BeLeafer87 said:
Oh boy, I sure do wanna cry. A collapse in the third period. I saw the game up until the US scored at 1-1 and then I had to head for school. I kept on wondering about the score. Fifth period, teacher told me it was 3-1 Canada. Gold Medal for us for sure. Boy I was wrong, end of school at 3pm, another teacher tells me they lost 4-3, I thought it was a joke. Thats embarrassing. The goal, Fleury! WTF happened? Now I'll have to see clips to see for myself. Congrats USA.

What grade are you in. The fact that your teacher told you the score of the game is just another in a long line of reasons why Canada is a ****ing AWESOME country. Don't worry about this year my canadian friends, with the lockout looming and 13 returning players, you will win next year. There is no doubt in my mind.

I am Jack's Fish

The best was hearing Team USA singing the National Anthem at the ceremony with gusto...

It has to be noted that they are much better hockey players than singers, and their off-key renditions and obvious joy coming through cracking voices was just cracking me and my wife up.

Good stuff, and even better that we finally won a gold in the WJC and prove to the world that we can play hockey on par with everyone else in this tournament.

I am Jack's Fish

Also want to point out that the fine folks over at SI.com have a few good articles on the hockey page, which is cool since the hockey producer there is a big fan of these boards and has always paid attention to things some of the other sites usually ignore...

It isn't like the Canadian sites, but for an American mainstream site, they do great coverage of out of the mainstream events like the WJC.

Tell em Fischel sent ya!

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
st_roland said:
What grade are you in. The fact that your teacher told you the score of the game is just another in a long line of reasons why Canada is a ****ing AWESOME country. Don't worry about this year my canadian friends, with the lockout looming and 13 returning players, you will win next year. There is no doubt in my mind.

I'm in grade 11. LMAO during the olympics, they had a Canada game and people were watching it in the library and my class phoned down to find out the score. Anyway, it's not like we're going to go on a 36-37 year drought *cough* Leafs *cough*. Sorry, couldn't help it. Next year, I still feel depressed. So close, but gotta give it to the Americans. They showed they can comeback and that the better team won.

Dr_Chimera*

Vlad The Impaler said:
You watched a junior game and got all excited, and now you're proposing changes that won't work in the NHL unless you make it an under-20 league.

Sit down a minute. It will pass.

I have not yet read the full thread, so maybe I missed something, but why do you say that?

chicpea*

At first I was in shock, and then I regained my composure. Now, I think I am in shock again. It should've been 6-2 at the end of the 2nd. What a comeback. You americanos should build a statue for Montoya.

On a sidenote, for those of you who are not canadian, you should know how much this game means up here and that this loss will maybe send shockwaves through our junior programme. You see how many of us on on these boards are canadian, but you have to see things like all the major newspapers and radio shows giving live updates sporadically through each period, or images of the Toronto Stock exchange where the traders are watching the game and not flogging shares. Sh*t, my brother just phoned me from Dallas (ironically at a hockey tourney) because he couldn't get the score anywhere there and the whole team needed to know. I heard this load chorus of "F**K" in the background and my bro saying, "you have got to be F'n kidding me" when I told him how we lost. Then he just hung up. I'd hate to be the team that they're playing today.
Anyway, in summation: ouch.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Well, as I said, a lot of homers were totally dismissing the US before this game. Congrats to them, they *totally* deserved to win this game. Hard work and effort led to those "flukey" goals.

NJ_Devil_Boy

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Not bad for such a young team. Team Canada will be back next year. ;)

As for Team USA, they went in as Tournament favourites and did not disappoint.

Parise :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad