NHL Entry Draft: WJC Fan Mock 2013

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I have been watching several of these that are pretty similar to mine but I will post my opinions

1)Colorado: Seth Jones-D: I think Joe Sakic is playing poker with Florida. Florida wants a center and if Colorado can extract a pick from them (or Nashville), I think he makes a move. Colorado has a ton of great forwards but Jones gives them a #1 d-man. I know that they are saying Mackinnon or Barkov but in the end, if they keep the pick, I think that they go Jones

2) Florida: Nathan Mackinnon-C: Florida gets their man. Huberdeau and Mackinnon terrorize defenders for years to come.

3) Tampa Bay: Jonathan Drouin-LW: Probably could use a defender but unless they are willing to move to #1, it probably is not happening. Best case for them is Mackinnon/Barkov/Jones. They want Jones but Drouin is an elite offensive player that will fit with the existing offensive pieces

4) Nashville: Sasha Barkov-C: A team desperate for offense gets the strong talented center that they need and severely lack. Hockey sense is tremendous and pretty close to NHL ready

5) Carolina: Valeri Nichuskin-RW: Elite scorer who would be in the#1 discussion if not for him being Russian. Wants to play in the NHL. Carolina gambles and swings for the fences

6) Calgary: Elias Lindholm-C: Calgary starts the rebuild with a top two-way center. Could not decide between him and Monahan but decided to go with the Swede. Competitiveness and Hockey IQ is off the charts.

7) Edmonton: Darnell Nurse-D: I keep hearing that Edmonton will take the Monahan or Lindholm if available but I have Nurse ranked as #7 in the draft. He is big, mean and the offense is starting to come. A top pairing defender for the team overflowing with offense.

8) Buffalo: Sean Monahan-C: Winger makes better sense but Monahan is too good to pass up at eight. Buffalo takes the BPA and worries about needs later

9) New Jersey: Hunter Shinkaruk-LW: Dynamic offensive player. Who couldn't use that? Other then Boucher, New Jersey's wing prospects are not great. Hunter has top-line scorer potential

10) Dallas: Rasmus Ristolainen-D: Strong, puck moving defender. Already mature, playing against men in Finland.

11) Philadelphia: Nikita Zadorov-D: Big strong hitter. Skates well for his size. Big shot gives him some untapped offensive potential. Fills a need

12) Phoenix: Bo Horvat-LW: Shane Doan meets his replacement. Strong up/down winger. High compete level with leadership ability. Power, offensive player that Phoenix needs

13) Winnipeg: Max Domi-C: Strong offensive player that plays bigger then his size. Big game player. Strong work ethic.

14) Columbus: Ryan Pulock-D: Columbus adds a power play piece. Good defender with a booming shot. Good skater for size. Team needs forwards but Pulock is too good to pass on at this point

15) NY Islanders: Alex Wennberg-LW: The kind of forward that teams win with goes to the Isles. Good offensive skills but has high compete level too. The team that drafted all defenders last season switches it up this year.

16) Buffalo: Curtis Lazar-RW: Good 4-way skater. Physical for his size. Has solid offensive skills. A team that has a ton of defenders continues to add offense.

17) Ottawa: Josh Morrisey-D: Steady defender with high hockey IQ.Will play a long time in the NHL. Strong transitional game. Not flashy just gets the job done.

18) Detroit: Valentin Zykov-RW: Intense, speedy goal scorer. Not big but uses wide body to set up shop in the slot. D-zone needs improvement but the Detroit system will get him where he needs to be.

19) Columbus: Kerby Rychel-LW: Will bring size to the top-six of Columbus. Not a great skater but strong on his skates. Brings grit plus talent to the lineup. Not afraid to drop them or park in the crease.

20) San Jose: Frederick Gauthier-C: Sizable two-way center. Not sure if the offense will be there but he is big and skates well. Advanced defensive player. If San Jose prefers skill, maybe Mantha here also

21) Toronto: Adam Erne-RW: Good size. Top-six scorer. Very strong in front of the net and along the boards.

22) Calgary: Ryan Hartman-LW: Tough to play against. Not the biggest player but plays bigger then his size. Great forechekcer and a solid two-way game.

23) Washington: J.T. Compher-C: Competitive big-game player. Good skater.

24) Vancouver: Steve Santini-D: Physical leader. Could be Kevin Bieksa Jr. Vancouver needs help everywhere and they take a future steady stalwart for the blue line

25) Montreal: Anthony Mantha-LW: Good size but not very physical. Montreal needs size and offensive talent but he may not bring enoughgrit.One of my least favorite picks of this round. Maybe switching him with Gauthier would make sense. I would love some opinions on this one.

26) Anaheim: Samuel Morin-D: Incredible upside. Great size who can move the puck. Anaheim gambles on a defender. A forward might be the safer pick at this point

27) Columbus: Andre Burakovsky-RW: Columbus got Rychel, now they take a swing for the fences. High skill level but very inconsistent. Could turn into a real steal and makes sense for a team with three first rounders.

28) Calgary: Nic Petan-C: Lindholm and Hartman add the grit and two-way ability. Now, they draft a small, supremely skilled center. Great skater but size is an issue. Calgary needs skill and he will bring that

29) Dallas: Morgan Klimchuk-LW: Dallas could use a center but I would have to go down several spots to get to my next center(Hurley). Klimchuk is a scorer that Dallas could use

30) Chicago: Madison Bowey-D: Great skating defender. Solid defender but not a ton of offense at this point. This is the kind of pick that good organizations make at the end of the first round. Other option would be Shea Theodore.

Well that is it. I did not put Fucale in the first round. I think that he will go by pick #35. Also Muller slipped a little too. I look forward to everyone's opinion.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Looks pretty good for Dallas. If Mantha is there at 25 I'd really hope we trade 29 + 68 for 25 or 26.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I doubt that Monahan drops to 8, but if he did I would love the pick. I also like Lazar at 16, but they might consider Erne, Zykov or Santini.

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I doubt that Monahan drops to 8, but if he did I would love the pick. I also like Lazar at 16, but they might consider Erne, Zykov or Santini.

Cannot disagree. I think either lindholm or monahan will make it to eight and buffalo is going to get a pretty nice player at that pick

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Cannot disagree. I think either lindholm or monahan will make it to eight and buffalo is going to get a pretty nice player at that pick

I hope you are right....I think Lindholm will be likelier. I am assuming that pick 8 will come down to one of five players in Monahan, Lindholm, Nichuskin, Nurse and Ristolainen.

cbear42

Sep 1, 2008
Chosing between Monahan/Lindholm/Nurse is a pretty good position since we got screwed out of 1st overall this year :P

I would personally prefer Monahan or even a trade down in a package to get a significant roster player in this spot.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
With the way Stu Macgregor talks about him, I find it hard to believe that the Oilers would pass on Monahan.

ZeroPT*

With the way Stu Macgregor talks about him, I find it hard to believe that the Oilers would pass on Monahan.

I honestly don't think Monahan will be available, 7th overall tbh, he is that good,

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Santini is an awful pick for us there. Mantha is by far and away the BPA, and fits a bigger need for us as well.

I did not take Mantha for Vancouver because I do not think that a boom or bust type is a good fit for them. Let's face it, their prospect list needs some work. Mantha has a ton of offensive upside and may be one of the highest potentials in the entire draft. However, scouts question his compete level and his defensive intensity. I think a team with a strong prospect list or multiple high picks are a better fit for him. Santini is not flashy but I think that his potential to make the NHL is much higher then Mantha's. A much safer pick.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Absolutely love this from a Buffalo point of view. Even if Monahan was switched with Lindholm, I'd still give it an A+

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I did not take Mantha for Vancouver because I do not think that a boom or bust type is a good fit for them. Let's face it, their prospect list needs some work. Mantha has a ton of offensive upside and may be one of the highest potentials in the entire draft. However, scouts question his compete level and his defensive intensity. I think a team with a strong prospect list or multiple high picks are a better fit for him. Santini is not flashy but I think that his potential to make the NHL is much higher then Mantha's. A much safer pick.

If anything the Canucks need more boom/bust prospects. Our roster depth is fine, the only way a player will make our team is if he has a high upside. Our top-4 is all signed long-term, and we have a number of "all round" defensive prospects like Corrado, Price, McNally.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC

Vancouver needs a possible boom prospect. We have solid second/third line guys in our prospect pool (Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder etc.) but we need a guy who has first line potential.

While I would prefer Morin in that spot if he falls that far, I would take Mantha too.

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Vancouver needs a possible boom prospect. We have solid second/third line guys in our prospect pool (Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder etc.) but we need a guy who has first line potential.

While I would prefer Morin in that spot if he falls that far, I would take Mantha too.

If Santini is not a good pick, I can see switching to Morin. I cannot see Tortorella being real crazy about drafting a guy like Mantha who has a rep for lack of effort defensively and a lack of intensity. Didn't that get Gaborik benched a few times in New York while Torts loved guys like Callahan and Stepan who are 200-foot players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad