Prospect Info: WJC Discussion

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
We are less than a month away from the WJC and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to talk about our prospect that will or might be there.

Here is a list of players that could be representing the Avs :

Team Canada -
B.Byram
A.Newhook

Team Russia -
D.Zhuravlyov

Team Finland -
S.Ranta
J.Annunen

I probably forgetting someone so let me know

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
We are less than a month away from the WJC and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to talk about our prospect that will or might be there.

Here is a list of players that could be representing the Avs :

Team Canada -
B.Byram
A.Newhook

Team Russia -
D.Zhuravlyov

Team Finland -
S.Ranta
J.Annunen

I probably forgetting someone so let me know

So what are the odds for each making it?

It seems like all of them should make it, with the exception of Newhook, who may not have great odds.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Here is how I see it »

B.Byram : Pretty good odds of making it.
A.Newhook : Long Shot but should be at the camp (Similar to Bowers last yr imo)
D.Zhuravlyov : Pretty much a lock, projected as a 1st pairing D by a lot of russian journalist.
S.Ranta : A Lock as well, was on the team last year but didn't play a game.
J.Annunen : Should be the Starting goalie for Finland

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram is about as close to a lock on Team Canada as you can get without being a returning player.

Newhook is an interesting one. I've read some things about how people think he should be a lock with his creativity and his skating on the bigger ice. Personally I dont think his skating is that kind of standout skill so I dunno. I think Canada can ice a pretty deep team without Newhook so we'll have to see what plays out. Especially if any of the current NHL guys like Dach and Hayton end up being sent to the tournament, I dont see Newhook making it.

Sampo is a lock, and Annunen is probably a lock to be the starter given what he has done already this year.

And ya Zhuravlyov is going to be leaned on heavily for Russia. He'll be one of the most important guys on that team if they want to have any success.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Newhook isn't going to be a guy that is high enough in the pecking order to get a top 6 spot and the bottom 6 guys have to be able to play roles. I personally can't see him making the team unless Hayton, Dach, and Veleno aren't allowed to go along with some injuries to the Lafreniere, McMichael, Perfetti, etc. Basically you're looking at Newhook competing for the final spots with Foote, Krebs, McBain, Lavoie, and Cozens where Newhook is the least experienced with PK and defensive duties. Just doesn't seem likely to me. If Newhook makes it, he should be a top 6 winger.

FTR I do think Byram will make the team, but I wouldn't consider him a lock. You have McIsaac, Dobson (if returned), Smith, and JBD who are pretty much locks. Then you have the Harley, Woo, Bahl, Addison, Byram, and Merkley group competing for the final 3/4 spots. He absolutely should make it, but it depends on what they want from their last few defensemen. I can see a situation where Harley, Bahl, and Merkley round out the defense.

Zhura, Ranta, and Annunen are locks pending injury.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad