U18: WJC - D1A - Minsk, Belarus (Apr. 9-15)

kulenova seka

Anyone link for stream that works worldwide ? Those on IIHF don't work for me ("stream doesn't work in your country") :(

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Welp...what to say...

This Austrian team is small, slight, and not very fast. #4 has potential but he's too conservative with his passing. The forwards are too small they're not making any headway. There doesn't seem to be a skater with the stickhandling to take it up the ice...hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Coach Werfring doesn't believe in 10 second shifts. 3 seconds max. PP unit 1 strikes though, they're the strength of our game.

Was that goal really Winkler? Thought I saw him on the other side of the ice.

Ok yep that was Winkler, and Winkler again with PP unit 1 again...I think there should be a second assist on that though...

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hopefully Germany will do better than they did at the WJC-U20 this year.
I will be looking forward to see what Tobias Eder can do.

It's a little weird that the forward group is rather big, while the defensemen are pretty small.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Norway ties it, right after a second German goal had been called back, because it may not have been in.

Now Norway has another chance on a PP to take the lead.

After the 1st period Germany has a 2-1 lead. Not really a good period by the German team. They had no real structure and although they are playing a lot of players on the same lines/pairings who play on the same teams during the season they seem to have little chemistry.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
After Germany took a 3-1 lead early in the second, Norway comes back and ties it up on a nice short handed goal by Ekberg. Their transition game from defense to offense has been really good.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It's 6-3 Germany now with less than 5 Minutes to go. Dare I say it's over?

EDIT: It's over Germany wins 6-3 after a mediocre performance.

That was some truly abysmal camera work by the way. The camera was barely able to keep up with the play, and the game was not that fast.
Add to that random shots of the player benches while the play was going on and the puck was actually in scoring areas and shots of the penalty boxes (picture in picture) during the power play that obstructed the view of the attacking zone. That made it really tough to watch for me.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Austria-Germany tomorrow. Usually a great rivalry match.

Austria has one good offensive line. They can't generate any offense without both Kele Steffler and Samuel Witting on the ice. Thomas Winkler looked great on paper but all he has is a hard slapshot. The team as a whole outside of Martin Goritschnig was being pushed around to no end, which is why they lost, and Germany is even bigger. We'll be able to convert a good percentage of powerplays, but our PK is terrible because we have no big or time-eating defensemen. PK 2 with Goritschnig and Bluml did a lot better than PK 1 with Steffler and Winkler.

They won in the pre-tournament friendly 5-1, I wouldn't expect too much different.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Got onto the stream, watched a bit and thought "oh, german powerplay," then counted and Austria had 5 guys on the ice but that's been about the way the first period went.

Niklas Bretschneider threw away a golden opportunity to score, but pretty much the only opportunity to score. On the PP neither team is communicating. Goritschnig is holding onto the puck way too much, that's Steffler's job. Germany killed about 1:30 of the powerplay just letting Goritschnig test his stickhandling skills. Playing our PK lines on ES has kept them from scoring and us from getting the chance to.

Germany isn't putting shots on net. They're dominating possession but letting perfect become the enemy of the good. A lot of extra passing and wasted opportunities.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Great game by Austria. I thought they did fantastic, they lived up to their scrappy reputation and gave Germany trouble (but not nearly enough of it).

Best player on the ice for Austria was Kele Steffler, and the irony was that on a massive team the best german player was the slightly undersized Timo Walther who had the speed to keep up with a not particularly fast Austrian team. Overall it was a good game. It gives me confidence perhaps Austria can beat a Norway or a Kazakhstan in the future.

grab

May 19, 2010
One player Belarus if I am not mistaken can be drafted in the NHL.

Belarus on channel 5 on the Internet or search the Internet to find the sports broadcast in an hour.

Last edited:

grab

May 19, 2010
in most of Belarus scored a goal norway!
1-1:(
1-2...
1-3...
2-3!
3-3!

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Cool to see Kazakhstan playing well. This probably is the first time in their history when they actually had a choice in players which can be sent to the WJC. Usually they were scrambling to find 20 kids to put on ice.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Looks like Mathias Emilio Pettersen is playing for Norway, youngest player in the tournament as a double underager. 1 assist so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad