WJC: Canada's #1 goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Wow, Ellis is brutal.

8 goals on 28 shots? Worst performance by any goalie at training camp. Keep him away from Team Canada please.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
vanwychen27 said:
Well arnt u friendly.

A little harsh perhaps, but I'm sure he's not the only one hoping Pogge chokes. Just as I'm sure there are more then a few hoping Price falters.

As a Leaf fan I'm not exactly wishing ill on Price per-say but you can bet I'm hoping Pogge vastly outperforms him.
Preferably on the merits of Pogge's strong play rather then any poor play from Price.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Richard_Zednik said:
i think its more of the goalies with the calmest minds and coolest under pressure

Agreed.

And I think we are beginning to see a pattern like that for Ellis. The guy has been pretty brutal in clutch situations. First his utter collapse in the playoffs last year and now a terrible showing at camp. I can't help but think he'd be the wrong choice for this specific position.

Not to say anything about his future, upside, etc, etc.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=3114c843-c83f-4d2f-bf6f-efa1dfa417de&k=40696
Pogge and Ellis have international experience at the under-18 level but more importantly they come into camp the hottest, having played well and put up solid numbers this season.

Pogge, a third-round pick of the Maple Leafs in 2004, is 19-5 for the Calgary Hitmen and leads the Western Hockey League with a 1.53 goals-against average, a .928 save percentage and six shutouts.

Ellis, a sixth-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks in 2004, is 13-9 with two shutouts, a 2.91 GAA and a .909 save percentage for the Quebec league's Shawinigan Cataractes.

"Pogge's been outstanding to date and the same with Ellis," said Sutter, who as coach of the Red Deer Rebels is familiar with Pogge. "Based on their performance to date, they'd have to be the best two coming in."

With Ellis getting lit up tonight, advantage Pogge.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I want Price to be the #1 guy just cuz he's a hab but I think he is still one year away from that job.

Pogge has the edge right now but I'd slate Price at #2 at the moment

Its still a very muddy picture as bob mckenzie said though

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
It is unfortunate Ellis had this bad game tarnish what would otherwise be a marvellous season. He has come a long way has battled through adversity before. I'm sure he is a bit upset that he didn't perform so well today but if he continues to work hard, he'll be a NHL starter someday and this won't mean too much in retrospect 10 years later. He is still a great prospect for the Canucks. Great goalies can fight past losses and troubles. If he can stay unfazed and focused, he can definitely make the transition from a prospect to a future player.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
It is unfortunate Ellis had this bad game tarnish what would otherwise be a marvellous season. He has come a long way has battled through adversity before. I'm sure he is a bit upset that he didn't perform so well today but if he continues to work hard, he'll be a NHL starter someday and this won't mean too much in retrospect 10 years later. He is still a great prospect for the Canucks. Great goalies can fight past losses and troubles. If he can stay unfazed and focused, he can definitely make the transition from a prospect to a future player.

I'd agree with you but he is a vancouver goalie prospect and something always seems to happen to these guys ;)

Kidding aside, when was the last time the canucks actually drafted and groomed a goalie on their own?

I grew up in the Kirk McLean era who was picked up from New Jersey I believe. When you think of strong canuck goalies before McLean, you think of king richard and glen hanlon.... I'm thinking at least one of these two guys was drafted by vancouver

I know, I digress... but that's nothing new :)

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
As a leafs fan, im hoping Pogge gets the starting job. However, if Price is indeed better, go with him. I want Canada to win, thats the #1 objective. I always like watchin underdog canadian teams =)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Roo said:
As a leafs fan, im hoping Pogge gets the starting job. However, if Price is indeed better, go with him. I want Canada to win, thats the #1 objective. I always like watchin underdog canadian teams =)

And it wouldn't be bad for you because Rask will be the starter for his country...;)

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Looks like it's Price vs Pogge for the number 1 role.

I figure they won't officially name a number 1 goalie until Boxing Day and see how they do in the pre-tournament games.

It's going to be really intresting... on one hand you have Price who's bigger, the better puck handler and has the ability to steal games by himself. On the other, you have the consistent, calm, cool, and confident Pogge.

Should be interesting... I hope they pick the keeper thats right for Canada.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Scugs said:
Why would you say that?
He's a Habs fan, and Price (a Habs prospect) is quite possibly the biggest competitor for the starting spot at the WJHC.
Add in the fact that Pogge is a Leafs prospect and most (albeit not all) Habs fans dislike the Leafs and it's not hard to understand why he'd hope Pogge chokes.

If Pogge chokes, Price may well get the starters job. That's obviously preferable from his POV.
It probably doesn't hurt that Pogge's choking may be a sign that he's not developing as well as it would appear, and that can only bode ill for the Leafs... and by turn work out nicely for the Habs in the future.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
nice one rand, well those reasons but mainly a 6.5 c pot on HF? and hasnt proved anything at international level? I just dont wana make a mistake also its quite embarrassing if he loses to a 6.5 C lol.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Mackattack said:
It's going to be really intresting... on one hand you have Price who's bigger, the better puck handler and has the ability to steal games by himself. On the other, you have the consistent, calm, cool, and confident Pogge.

Should be interesting... I hope they pick the keeper thats right for Canada.

Uhhh I'd say that Pogge is easily the better puckhandler. As for size, they are both about the same. In fact Pogge is listed as 1" taller. Price is heavier but that doesn't really translate into anything.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Richard_Zednik said:
nice one rand, well those reasons but mainly a 6.5 c pot on HF? and hasnt proved anything at international level? I just dont wana make a mistake also its quite embarrassing if he loses to a 6.5 C lol.

Pogge has come along quite rapidly however. A few years ago Pogge wasn't even chosen in the WHL entry draft. He's gone from that to being Pringe George's rookie of the year, to being drafted in the 3rd round of the NHL entry draft, to potential WJHC position.

Pogge would likely have been drafted higher and recieved a correspondingly higher rating at HF had his development been predictable. He's quite literally come from no where however.

Tukka Rask is in a very similar situation to Price. A very highly touted recent draftee, that's in a tight struggle to be named Finland's starter. It's quite possible he may well back up Karri Ramo.
6.0C, drafted in the 6th round in 2004'.

Goalies are IMHO by far the hardest players to judge, and they tend to devlop at a much slower rate then do positional players.
Many a highly touted goaltender has flopped completely, and more then a few goalies that went completely undrafted have had stellar careers.

All of Pogge, Dubnyk and Ellis are 19... Price only 18 and recently drafted.
Ramo is 19, Rask 18 and like Price only recently drafted.
At their age, even a single year of development can have a dramatic impact.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Uhhh I'd say that Pogge is easily the better puckhandler. As for size, they are both about the same. In fact Pogge is listed as 1" taller. Price is heavier but that doesn't really translate into anything.

I've seen them both this year. Pogge is a solid puckhandler, but Price is clearly the better of the two in this aspect IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad