Prospect Info: WJC 2022: The Remix Edition

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
McTavish is a rockstar, very happy to admit that I am a stupid dumb moron and underestimated the player in his draft year. Seems like a great kid, had a hell of a year.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
McTavish with the save of the tourney
More like save of the century, I have never seen a save as good as that in my life by a non goalie.

McTavish is a rockstar, very happy to admit that I am a stupid dumb moron and underestimated the player in his draft year. Seems like a great kid, had a hell of a year.

Although we still need to wait and see what kind of NHL player he turns into I was wrong about him too.

Reactions: 13to40
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Still can't believe what I watched last night...that was incredible.

McTavish is from where I'm from lol, so he's instantly a Carp legend which is kinda cool.

Reactions: bedtime20

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Now I don’t seem so crazy for wishing he would fall to 6, do I? :sarcasm:

Reactions: jfrank21

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He may have also recognized that he wasn't going to get the PP time and that Andrae was the focus of the offensive "system" and said, "Cool story, bro," and just did what he could. Edvinsson definitely didn't seem to be as engaged as he was in December. Probably means that his food poisoning/injury-tweak-thing happened right before the tournament and he didn't want to make it worse.

"more games for Monten? ugh....lets see what happens if I eat this gas station sushi"

"well that was awful but I feel much better now and....wait this tournament is still going on? f***....they'll probably get suspicious if I do that again"

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Honestly until the Wings git gud, the WJC is probably my favorite hockey event of the year. Cliche, but you cant tell it means so much to the kids involved. This year was a bit wonky with the summer timing and the Hockey Canada controversies looming, but still a great tournament.

Can't wait for the next one, I'm sure the remaining U.S. roster will come with a chip on their shoulder.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
There was rumor that Detroit had a deal in place with New Jersey to move up to #4 in the 2021 draft but Detroit's target was picked prior New Jersey's selection. It's not hard to deduce that McTavish was Detroit's target.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Pretty disappointing WJC for Wings spects. Doesn't look like this front office has found many gems with our hoards of picks outside of the 1st round over the past few years except maybe Soderblom and Johansson.

I get the argument that Cossa is or has the potential to be more physically talented than Wallstedt but mentally he's just such a mess. So cocky and full of himself but never backs it up against stiffer competition and comes away looking like a fool. He's the complete opposite of the calm, cool, collected mentality you want in goal. Maybe it's immaturity and will fade in time but seems more like that's just who he really is. Personally have my doubts he amounts to much more than a journeyman backup

Hard to gauge Edvinsson with the injury/sickness but would have been nice to see more. Didn't look ready to take the NHL plunge this year but we'll see when camp rolls around. Still think he pretty safely projects as a top 2 D

Really don't see much NHL upside in Niederbach, Wallinder, Mazur, Sebrango, Viro, Savage other than bottom of the lineup/replacement level.

Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, and Hanas looking like 3 wasted 2nd round picks atp

Nothing written in stone yet obviously but results not looking too great for this amateur scouting staff so far

Reactions: RED SAVAGE STAN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I was there with you.
Do you think McTavish and Kasper similar players. ?

Not at all other than positional similarity. I compared Kasper more to Ryan Kesler and McTavish to Brock Nelson. McTavish’s shot is absolutely elite and I think it’s more likely he plays W next to Zegras unless Zegras sucks on draws.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Honestly I don't see a dud in the 2021 top 9 picks yet.

All the Michigan kids had a strong season. McTavish, Clarke, and Guenther had good years in the CHL. I was especially impressed with Guenther during Edmonton's title run. Edvinsson had a good year in the SHL. Eklund had a bit of a slower year, and I'm still not his biggest fan in the world, but I think Djurgardens was in a rough spot and he still looks like a strong player.

Edit: McTavish is a beast and a half, but Beniers is still the one that got away in my eyes. As a Michigan fan a Larkin/Beniers one two punch would've been such a dream. But yeah again I almost don't think you could go wrong in that top 9 so far.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Really don't see much NHL upside in Niederbach, Wallinder, Mazur, Sebrango, Viro, Savage other than bottom of the lineup/replacement level.
Overreactions aside, what were you hoping to see from Mazur? 5+2 in 5 games and being named one the team's best players doesn't seem all that disappointing.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

G Sebastian Cossa (Detroit Red Wings): Cossa wasn’t great in his pre-tournament game, surrendering three goals in a half-game appearance (at least one of which he’d want back). He then only got into the lone tournament game, starting Canada’s opener against Latvia where he gave up a goal over his shoulder from the slot and another on a one-timer on the penalty kill, but also made a few big point blank saves despite not being busy.
D Eemil Viro (Detroit Red Wings): Defended neutral ice extremely well, stepping into passing lanes and holding the line to prevent opposing teams from gaining entry. Skated pucks out of danger and then headmanned them. Doesn’t make a ton of mistakes.
G Jan Bednar (Detroit Red Wings): Down early. Got beat up high a lot. Glove hand an issue. Went from presumptive start to No. 3.
F Carter Mazur (Detroit Red Wings): Physical. Played a hard game. Showed good feel too. Office in front. Opportunistic offensively. Timing always seems to be right. Knows how to get open into space. His game really fits the bumper role on the PP because of the way he positions himself to take passes (and how quickly he turns and shoots). Mazur was their clutch scorer in some big moments and impactful when he wasn’t finishing with his what-you-see-is-what-you-get game.
F Red Savage (Detroit Red Wings): Worked his tail off. Great back pressure. Effort plays. Strong skater the length of the ice. Always seemed to spend his time in the offensive zone. Savage is exactly what you want in a bottom-six forward at this level.
D Simon Edvinsson (Detroit Red Wings): For a player as big as he is, he continues to impress me with his ability to side-step pressure. Good stick defensively. Physical. Great close-outs. Players struggled to get around him. Without Leo Loof (suspension) and Anton Olsson (injured) to start, he logged big minutes before falling sick. Shot coming off a little harder these days than this time last year, which is a big deal for him. Talking and directing a lot ahead of face-offs. Looked like a leader/someone who wanted to take charge and trusted himself. Head always up. Has this move where, instead of trying to stickhandle when his back is to the middle of the ice and he’s facing the boards (a hard thing to do give how long his stick is), he just bounces the puck off the boards and then spins back towards the middle of the ice to pick it up again. Executes it beautifully. There were some relative lows though. I thought he struggled against USA, I thought he was just OK in the semi, and he took a penalty reaching in in the bronze medal game which cost the Swedes their only goal against (though he was otherwise good in the bronze medal game, logging a game-high 25:54 and 10:43 in the third period).
D William Wallinder (Detroit Red Wings): Some sloppiness with the puck and defending one-on-one at times but also quite noticeable in others. I thought as the tournament progressed he settled in nicely, playing off of Andrae effectively and using his skating to go get pucks and advance play. Some nice outlet passes. It was a mixed bag all told though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Pretty disappointing WJC for Wings spects. Doesn't look like this front office has found many gems with our hoards of picks outside of the 1st round over the past few years except maybe Soderblom and Johansson.

I get the argument that Cossa is or has the potential to be more physically talented than Wallstedt but mentally he's just such a mess. So cocky and full of himself but never backs it up against stiffer competition and comes away looking like a fool. He's the complete opposite of the calm, cool, collected mentality you want in goal. Maybe it's immaturity and will fade in time but seems more like that's just who he really is. Personally have my doubts he amounts to much more than a journeyman backup

Hard to gauge Edvinsson with the injury/sickness but would have been nice to see more. Didn't look ready to take the NHL plunge this year but we'll see when camp rolls around. Still think he pretty safely projects as a top 2 D

Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, and Hanas looking like 3 wasted 2nd round picks atp

Nothing written in stone yet obviously but results not looking too great for this amateur scouting staff so far

You realize that if Soderblom and AJo are NHLers that the scouting team has done an outstanding job?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think having the tournament in the summer makes it really hard to judge how good a player is. Players come in, and everyone is in different game shape. You can even tell a couple of games into the season that players aren't up to speed so to speak yet.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I think having the tournament in the summer makes it really hard to judge how good a player is. Players come in, and everyone is in different game shape. You can even tell a couple of games into the season that players aren't up to speed so to speak yet.
These are pros/future pros, all should be in elite shape at this point of the year. No excuse not to be.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad