Prospect Info: WJC 2022: The Remix Edition

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's fairly safe to say Wallstedt is the better goalie as of today. Which isn't too surprising, I thought he was the better goalie on draft night as well.

My understanding here though has always been the Wings feel that Cossa will pass him at some point with his combo of size/traits, and be the better goalie long term (think 4-5 years from when the pick was made). So I don't really know that this WJC 1 year out really changes anything there.

In saying that, even as an unfinished product with some developing to do, I did expect Cossa to claim the 1G and beat out someone like Garand at this tournament. A bit disappointed that he didn't.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Maybe we picked Cossa over Wallstedt because we lack goalie scouting in Europe? I know Hakan Andersson has said that he is not good at scouting them(paraphrasing).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Apologies, I thought you were kidding with the question.

While you are technically correct that he won gold with a good save %, Cossa only played in Canada's first game of the tournament, against Latvia (he made some good saves, but... it was still just Latvia). Then he rode the bench for the rest of the tournament. The complaint for many is that Cossa didn't prove himself good enough to be the starter for Canada. Meanwhile, Wallstedt was named the best goalie of the tournament.
Got it, thanks!

Reactions: jaster

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe we picked Cossa over Wallstedt because we lack goalie scouting in Europe? I know Hakan Andersson has said that he is not good at scouting them(paraphrasing).

They had insight into Wallstedt. It’s not lack of scouting why they chose Cossa over him. It’s because they have higher hopes for Cossa.

Reactions: Realgud

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think it's fairly safe to say Wallstedt is the better goalie as of today. Which isn't too surprising, I thought he was the better goalie on draft night as well.

My understanding here though has always been the Wings feel that Cossa will pass him at some point with his combo of size/traits, and be the better goalie long term (think 4-5 years from when the pick was made). So I don't really know that this WJC 1 year out really changes anything there.

In saying that, even as an unfinished product with some developing to do, I did expect Cossa to claim the 1G and beat out someone like Garand at this tournament. A bit disappointed that he didn't.

Garand had a really nice tournament too.

If he didn’t play well and Cossa rode the pine, I could understand. But you get on a roll in a tournament behind a guy, you stick with the hot hand.

WJC isn’t indicative of a god damn thing. Mrazek set the WJC on fire… we’ve seen what he turned out to be.

Many times a guy will have a bad WJC and turn out to be a very good player. Or they ball out and then flop in the NHL

Reactions: Realgud

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hakan Andersson does not, in fact, scout goalies. He has goalie scouts in his network he leans on.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Many times a guy will have a bad WJC and turn out to be a very good player. Or they ball out and then flop in the NHL
But AA totally crushed it with a small sample size and then...

Umm...

Nevermind. Pretend I didn't say anything.

Snap judgments may continue as scheduled. :D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hakan Andersson does not, in fact, scout goalies. He has goalie scouts in his network he leans on.

And those scouts must have been pretty indifferent to Wallstedt. The kid is literally neighbors with Nick Lidstrom. Not sure there was an easier goalie pick to make if they believed in him.

Reactions: bedtime20

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't want the best goalie today. We want the best goalie when it matters in 3 or 4 years and who goes on to have the better elite career. Gauging short tourney sample sizes are for dummies...

Yeah, people in here talk too much what is happening now at this moment, and not where the player is projected years after development.

And junior hockey is different than NHL hockey. I think undrafted Juha Jatkola at Finnish goal wasn't any worse than Wallstedt for Sweden on those key games. He did have a shut-out at semis against Wallstedt, and did almost beat Canada.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, people in here talk too much what is happening now at this moment, and not where the player is projected years after development.

And junior hockey is different than NHL hockey. I think undrafted Juha Jatkola at Finnish goal wasn't any worse than Wallstedt for Sweden on those key games. He did have a shut-out at semis against Wallstedt, and did almost beat Canada.

We should sign Juha Jatkola. For no other reason than he has a baller name.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You guys forgot ole Tugboat Tonic*!

*Tugboat Tonic is not a real goalie, sorry

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
But Ron Tugnutt is.

Ron Tugnutt
Dick Trickle
Rusty Kuntz

That's my team. If Tugnutt gets hurt... I'm f***ed.
giphy.gif

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
End of the day, it was a dissapointing WJC for our prospects.

Really? Maybe you just were expecting too much.

FIN - Viro, mostly at defensive role, team that was second best.
USA - Mazur - was superior 2nd liner for Team USA
USA - Savage - was great 4th line Center for Team USA
CAN - Cossa, not starter for Canada - played good on his games he started.
CAN - Sebrango, same as Viro, same kind of role for Canada, the Best team, was +7.
SWE - Edvinsson, highest minutes on whole tournament, defensive role.
SWE - Niederbach, he is the only player which did a bit disappoint me. Most ice-time of swedish forwards, not so much of production. But also coach Monten has had heavy critics of his system which do not work.
SWE - Wallinder, he was another Viro/Sebrango -type of guy of our tournament prospects, defensive role, was +3.
CZE - Bednar, wasn't starter for czechs,

Imo, Mazur and Savage surpriced me and Niederbach was the disappointment. Others were what expected.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
In terms of expectations....

- I was holding out a little hope that Niederbach would have a bit of an offensive breakthrough this tournament but he did not. He was solid enough, but slightly disappointing.

- Edvinsson was certainly disappointing. I'm fine with chalking it up to an injury and food poisoning or whatever, but still disappointing. Wanted to see more dominance given how highly he's rated around here.

- Cossa was also certainly disappointing. No, he didn't play poorly, but he also didn't play after the quasi-warmup game. Sure, that's a different kind of disappointment, but still would have liked to see him perform well enough in the lead-up to this tournament to be the starter.

Meanwhile, no one exceeded my expectations. No, not even Mazur. I've been very high on him. It was a very satisfying performance from him, but he didn't do anything that surprised me.

So yeah, slightly disappointing tournament by our prospects to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad