Prospect Info: WJC 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not to be MMQB....but I really don't know why the Hawks felt it necessary to send him there knowing the NHL season was starting up again

They didn't.. Dach begged them to let him go as it was his last chance to maybe win world junior gold, which is a big honor for players.. they agreed and an unfortunate accident occurred.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They didn't.. Dach begged them to let him go as it was his last chance to maybe win world junior gold, which is a big honor for players.. they agreed and an unfortunate accident occurred.
Meh...this is where the team should make the decision for the player.

You're an NHL player now...you're a professional. No longer an amateur.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Meh...this is where the team should make the decision for the player.

You're an NHL player now...you're a professional. No longer an amateur.

I think it's a great move by the franchise, there is only good things for a management group that is considerate on the human side of things. Comes back later in negotiations and wanting to stay.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it's a great move by the franchise, there is only good things for a management group that is considerate on the human side of things. Comes back later in negotiations and wanting to stay.
Fair enough...

But once a player signs a pro deal and accrues a full NHL season and his role increases where by year end, he's firmly entrenched in my top 6.

Why the hell would I send him down to play hockey against kids?

How does that benefit my team in any way?

An NHL teams priority should always be it's own team...not a 2 week tournament for a player who was already there last year.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fair enough...

But once a player signs a pro deal and accrues a full NHL season and his role increases where by year end, he's firmly entrenched in my top 6.

Why the hell would I send him down to play hockey against kids?

How does that benefit my team in any way?

An NHL teams priority should always be it's own team...not a 2 week tournament for a player who was already there last year.

Well, by the same logic.. why would we allow Kotkaniemi to play in Finland? The same risk was there, too.

It was probably a bit of a give and take.. the player wanted to play, they NHL team agreed and thought it would be a good way to get him some reps and ice-time before the season started.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, by the same logic.. why would we allow Kotkaniemi to play in Finland? The same risk was there, too.
I'm not sure what you mean....leaving him in Finland to play an entire year, after his draft year is not the same as what the Hawks did with Dach.

It was probably a bit of a give and take.. the player wanted to play, they NHL team agreed and thought it would be a good way to get him some reps and ice-time before the season started.
I understand that...but I hope this will teach teams a lesson who may want to do the same thing.

It's different if he's a kid on your NHL roster, an 18/19yr old and he's not getting ice and you wanna send him down.

But this wasn't the case...Dach had a spot pencilled into their top 6, he was going to be a big part of what they were gonna do this year.

He's already played in a WJC...he won...he measured himself vs his peers and graduated to the NHL where he proved himself against pros.

Sorry...I'll never understand how that makes any sense on any level.

Edit - sorry I thought Dach was on Team Canada last year...he wasn't. Either way, doesn't change what I said.

When you're an NHL player, you're an NHL player.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
This whole covid situation really blows for german hockey. They've just had the best draft in their history and they can't build on that momentum with as good a showing at the WJC as they could have because they're playing with half a team.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
This whole covid situation really blows for german hockey. They've just had the best draft in their history and they can't build on that momentum with as good a showing at the WJC as they could have because they're playing with half a team.

Yeah, no kidding. It was tough to watch that Canada-Germany game

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Is it just me or does Kaliev give off a bit of that Tomas Vanek vibe?

Like he can score if given the chance but don't expect him to do much work away from the puck.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Ive just watch few game but does somebody can tell me why LA took Byfield over Stuztle? I know this is only WJC but stuztle is a beast. Byfield is okay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad