Prospect Info: WJC 2020

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The WJC 2020 starts today and I saw this article and wanted to share it so I created a thread for the tourny.

IIHF - Gustafsson returns in leadership role

Gustafsson returns in leadership role

In Sweden’s last two pre-tournament games before the start of the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship, the top line was an interesting combination of skilled, speedy wingers Samuel Fagemo and Nils Hoglander with big, physical NHLer David Gustafsson in the middle. On the stats sheet, Gustafsson wasn’t credited with any points in the two games despite being on the ice for several goals and being a strong presence in all three zones.

(...)

Heinola and Gustafsson are facing up against each other in 2 hours.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Annoyed that SWE/FIN is on TSN3 instead of CAN/USA. As much as I love watching our prospects, I prefer the tradition of watching Canada on Boxing Day.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The WJC 2020 starts today and I saw this article and wanted to share it so I created a thread for the tourny.

IIHF - Gustafsson returns in leadership role

Gustafsson returns in leadership role

In Sweden’s last two pre-tournament games before the start of the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship, the top line was an interesting combination of skilled, speedy wingers Samuel Fagemo and Nils Hoglander with big, physical NHLer David Gustafsson in the middle. On the stats sheet, Gustafsson wasn’t credited with any points in the two games despite being on the ice for several goals and being a strong presence in all three zones.

(...)

Heinola and Gustafsson are facing up against each other in 2 hours.

Well, that can happen if they were goals against. ;)

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Annoyed that SWE/FIN is on TSN3 instead of CAN/USA. As much as I love watching our prospects, I prefer the tradition of watching Canada on Boxing Day.
My TV's guide says CAN/USA starts in 2 minutes on TSN1, TSN4 & TSN5

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

Canada/USA is on TSN1 now. But if you don't have that channel, they're replaying CAN/USA on TSN3 at 630. You'll have to avoid finding out the score though

None

Feb 22, 2012
How many Jets draft picks are playing in the World Junior's .

Just 2, David Gustafsson their 2018 2nd round pick for Sweden and Ville Heinola their most recent 1st round pick from the 2019 draft playing for Finland.
They're playing against eachother right now and there's about half of the game left at the time of this post.

Reactions: Jets 31

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

They are trying to force you to buy TSN 1,2,3,4, and 5.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Finland's dressing 8 defensemen and it looks like Heinola-Honka are getting 3rd pairing minutes + PP time but no PK minutes. It looks like they're not being trusted defensively.
I thought Lassi Thomson was going to be the defenseman of the tournament but he looked abysmal in his own zone and got caught a few times trying to do too much himself offensively, particularly on the PP.

Finland seemed to be changing their PP unit on pretty much every change of possession, it made for very short PP shifts. If the PP unit didn't get set up on their first entry into the Swedish zone they were usually on their way off the ice shortly after. Very little time to establish any kind of pressure from a cycle when the shifts were only around 30-40 seconds and they had to waste time changing.

As for Gustafsson, he didn't spend much time in his own zone. His wings help transition the puck well 5 on 5, and Gustafsson is rock solid covering for Sweden's defensemen pinching. He was out killing a 5 on 3 and I thought his feet still looked really slow off of a faceoff that he won but Sweden didn't get to the puck first, I don't think Finland even got a shot on net from it though.
On the PP he didn't look as aggressive as he did last year but he moves the puck well when it's on his stick, I don't think the play ever died on his stick with the man advantage.

Reactions: hn777

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Gus was really good for Sweden. He tilted the ice for his team

Did Heinola get hurt? Didn't see him out there at all late

Of course. He's second pairing, I think that Ottawa 1st rounder is the big number 1 for the Finns though.

I don't think Heinola was hurt. The Heinola-Honka pairing had an overall low TOI, especially in the 3rd period, and didn't play at all in OT. Apparently, he is good enough to play 3v3 OT in the NHL for the Jets, but not in the WJC for Finland:sarcasm:

Instead, Lassi Thomson (Ottawas 1st rounder) was relied heavily upon, and took some boneheaded penalties including the one, that cost them the GWG.

Overall, I think Heinola was decent, but his partner (Honka) was quite the turnover machine.

Agreed, Gus was very good. He was dominant, controlling the ice, and being the defensive conscience on a line with two skilled, speedy wingers.

He is not flashy, but very sound positionally - in the mold of Copp, Lowry.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Tried it through the whole game. Figure it was a feed issue with the provider. Happens all the time with NHL/NFL etc. Hence why we are leaving them in the new year! Rogers sucks balls!!

Reactions: Jets 31

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He has great vision. He sure is a great set up man, and is so well rounded. I’m trying to think of who he reminds me of but can’t at the moment. He will be an elite player.
My goodness, he is outstanding. It's rare to see a player dominate play from the wing the way he does. He could probably play C without much adjustment, too. Hands and vision remind me a bit of Datsyuk.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think Heinola was hurt. The Heinola-Honka pairing had an overall low TOI, especially in the 3rd period, and didn't play at all in OT. Apparently, he is good enough to play 3v3 OT in the NHL for the Jets, but not in the WJC for Finland:sarcasm:

Instead, Lassi Thomson (Ottawas 1st rounder) was relied heavily upon, and took some boneheaded penalties including the one, that cost them the GWG.

Overall, I think Heinola was decent, but his partner (Honka) was quite the turnover machine.

Agreed, Gus was very good. He was dominant, controlling the ice, and being the defensive conscience on a line with two skilled, speedy wingers.

He is not flashy, but very sound positionally - in the mold of Copp, Lowry.
Yes, to all of this. Honka is a nightmare partner for Heinola. If you give Honka the puck, you aren't getting it back.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad