WJC 2009 in Calgary/Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I read Calgary and Edmonton are putting a joint bid to host the 2009 WJC.....something tells me that could be a record for crowds if they fill the rextall centre and the saddledome... good luck hope they get it :handclap:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
The tourney will be going to either Quebec or Ontario. It hasn't been there since 86.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
From some blog in early January:

"...even though the early word is Montreal is the favorite because of the whole Canadiens anniversary thing."

Calgary/Edmonton would have a shot but Montreal will probably put in a very good proposal because of this:

Canadiens reveal first details of 100-year anniversary plans
http://www.ssur.org/news/items/2005/200510/20051003_MontrealCanadiens.htm

"Should things fall into place as the Canadiens would hope, the 2009 calendar year will be a busy one. The team announced that not only has it bid for the 2009 World Junior Championships – beginning in late December, 2008, and running through early January, 2009 – but that it is also expecting a decision shortly from the NHL on a bid it made last November to host both the 2009 All-Star Game and 2009 NHL Entry Draft."
________

They really want to make this 100th anniversary something special and imo, this is not a bush-organization, they will push it VERY hard to gain most of what they want, we'll see.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I think Ottawa is going to get it. Ottawa has two large rinks (20k and 10k), has 2 junior teams that are very well suported and this is their 5th consecutive time bidding.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
I think it will be Montreal getting it. Then for 2012 Edmonton and Calgary joint bid wins.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But Ottawa has been snubbed in the last 3 times they applied--they cannot keep snubbing such a hotbed of hockey...

It will definetly go to either Ontario or Quebec--but since Halifax was QMJHL and
Vancouver WHL --you would think Ontario OHL will be very very VERY ticked off if they do not get their chance to host one this time--and in that case 3-timer recent loser Ottawa DESERVES finally to get its chance--it probably helps that
Scotiabank is now in with The Ottawa Senators (sponsoring the building they play in) and the Sens will bring this new added weight to the mix in their joint bid with the 67's owner Jeff Hunt to get the WJHC to the nations capital---I believe they even may have the Gaitneau olympiques on board as the Bob Guertin arena might also be in the mix to host some of the games --if that is the case,the Montreal bid may be weakened as the QMJHL support will be split if not even more one-sided in supporting the Olympiques..

So given all this Ottawa has to be the favourite...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The natural inclination is that Ottawa would be the favourite for 2008-09. They have two suitably-sized rinks. They are a hotbed for junior hockey, with one of the model junior hockey franchises in the world, and they hosted a successful Memorial Cup in 1999. The tournament would be a smashing success in the Nation's Capital, and in terms of overall bid strength, they would be my pick. Ontario also hasn't hosted the WJC since 1986 in Hamilton, and that could help their cause.

But the Habs 100th birthday could throw a wrench into those plans. There would certainly be that emotional reasoning to give them the tourney. In terms of overall bid strength, plus the always important factor of paying their dues, I don't know if they can match Ottawa. But having the WJC would be great for the Habs 100th birthday. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

I can't see Calgary/Edmonton getting it in 2009. There would be a lot of strengths, maybe more than any other bid. But we just had the tournament in the west, Red Deer hosted in 1995 (with both cities getting some games), and there was a huge western flavour to the 2005 WJC in Grand Forks, with a lot of people from Manitoba/southeast Saskatchewan travelling to Grand Forks. 2012, a joint city bid would be hard to beat, especially if Ottawa gets the tournament in 2009.

London would be a good host city. It's just there are some with stronger credentials. Quebec City would do a great job, too, except they're already hosting the Worlds in 2008, and I don't see Quebec City getting back-to-back major internaitonal tournaments. I would love to see Saskatoon get it. They did a fabulous job hosting in 1991. I firmly believe that tournament is one of the biggest reasons for the tournament's overwhelming popularity in this country, along with the Canada/USSR brawl in 1987. (The tournament was already a smashing success by the time Red Deer hosted in 1995). But Montreal, Ottawa and Calgary/Edmonton would all get the tournament before Saskatoon.

Eradicator

Jul 11, 2005
If the decision is made based on politics, it ends up in Quebec or Ontario. If it is based on money, no region is as wealthy as Alberta, and surely the province could flash the cash and guarantee double digit millions in profits (Vancouver guaranteed ~$5M and produced ~$8M, the most ever)

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Eradicator said:
If the decision is made based on politics, it ends up in Quebec or Ontario. If it is based on money, no region is as wealthy as Alberta, and surely the province could flash the cash and guarantee double digit millions in profits (Vancouver guaranteed ~$5M and produced ~$8M, the most ever)

I was thinking also that the money it raises is a big factor..... im curious who does the money go to...all countries/teams involved?

Eradicator

Jul 11, 2005

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Eradicator said:

I disagree. If Ottawa gets the WJC it is because Ottawa simply sells the most seats to junior games per capita in the country - it's not really even close.

And does a Calgary / Edmonton joint bid really make sense given the distance between the two cities? The funny thing is it's half the distance between Ottawa and Montreal (90 minutes) as it is between Calgary and Edmonton (3 hours).

Sammy*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I disagree. If Ottawa gets the WJC it is because Ottawa simply sells the most seats to junior games per capita in the country - it's not really even close.

And does a Calgary / Edmonton joint bid really make sense given the distance between the two cities? The funny thing is it's half the distance between Ottawa and Montreal (90 minutes) as it is between Calgary and Edmonton (3 hours).
How in gods name would the 180 miles between Edmonton & Calgary have any negative effect?

Eradicator

Jul 11, 2005
Dr.Sens(e) said:

In the 2004-05 season, with the NHL locked out, the Hitmen led all of North American professional and junior hockey in attendance, averaging 10,062 fans per game. The Hitmen's season total of 362,227 fans obliterated the attendance records of both the WHL and CHL.

The Hitmen also led the WHL in attendance in 2002-03 (6670) and 2003-04 (7570).

Clearly junior hockey is supported in Calgary. It would be incredibly naive to think that money is not near the top of the list, if not at the top of the list of criteria.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Not alot of support for junior hockey in Montreal I admit but is once in a 100 years asking too much?
Would have been a classy move to not put a bid.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

yes....how would Ontario ever compete with the wealth of Alberta, assuming that actually had anything to do with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad