Proposal: With Winnipeg (Aug. 10-11 HockeyBuzz rumor, post #21)

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
We can't trade B. Schenn for a defenseman without getting a forward back, IMO.

B. Schenn, L. Schenn, B. Coburn, something for Bogosian and Kane?

Everything depends on the return and price. If the Flyers get Bogosian for a reasonable deal and move Coburn for a great return, I would be all for it. I think Coburn and Bogosian are about the same level right now although Bogosian's injury history is a little worrisome. Bogosian is signed for 6 more years as opposed to two for about 600 thousand more. If Hextall is looking long term, it could be a good swap.

Say Schenns for Bogosian and Coburn to Edmonton for 2015 1st and Kleftbom. Or perhaps even Coburn to the Islanders who are desperate to make the playoffs and could make an aggressive package including Pokka or Pulock, both top 4 right handed defensemen prospects, plus some more.

Edmonton wouldn't touch that deal, and I don't really see the point of trading Coburn for defenseive prospects.

None of this adds up. If Coburn is going out, Winnipeg would be a very good spot for him--they need a top-four LHD to round out Enstrom/Trouba/Buff-Bogo.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Edmonton would never do that Deal.

As for the others, if we are going to trade Brayden, the Flyers don't need another defensive prospect like pokka or pulock coming back, we need offense

Edmonton will be desperate for a competitive season. They can't be bad out of the gate. Their fans already started to revolt last year. The 2015 pick would definitely be in play.

As for needing offense, I agree in the short term the Flyers do need offense. The islanders have some great prospects there too but moving Coburn would be about 3 years from now not today. Forwards contribute a lot faster than defensemen so any drafted forward today would be ready to contribute in 3 years. Defensemen however have a long developmental curve. I know fans are excited by the defensive prospects but the reality is many of them will bust or fall short of expectations. Adding some more whom are near NHL ready and right handed would be a great option to hedge against the possibility and likelihood of busts.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't think they would trade a top 10 pick in a strong draft for coburn. They were reluctant to offer 2 2nds for Coburn last year

I don't think they are hoping for another bottom 10 season. They offered 3 2nds two drafts ago and were rebuffed.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I have a feeling that Coburn will retire a Flyer.

Loyal reliable guy, solid player, does not stand out enough to make an attractive trade target. He is worth more to the Flyers than any other team. If they can't move him for an improvement now that he is in his prime and still signed for two years, it will probably never happen at all.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I'd definitely trade Coburn for the right package, but I don't think anyone will offer that right package unfortunately and I wont trade coburn for a couple of 2nds/B prospects

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I don't think they are hoping for another bottom 10 season. They offered 3 2nds two drafts ago and were rebuffed.

There's a huge gap between three 2nds and a potential top-5 pick in McDavid-Eichel-etc. draft, and Coburn isn't good drag a team team that has finished at the bottom of the league for a half decade into playoff contention.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
There's a huge gap between three 2nds and a potential top-5 pick in McDavid-Eichel-etc. draft, and Coburn isn't good drag a team team that has finished at the bottom of the league for a half decade into playoff contention.

I get that but I don't think Edmonton's management is expecting to finish bottom 5. If they do, coach and GM could be headed out the door. You don't sign Fayne, Nikitin, and pouliot expecting to compete in 2-3 years.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I get that but I don't think Edmonton's management is expecting to finish bottom 5. If they do, coach and GM could be headed out the door. You don't sign Fayne, Nikitin, and pouliot expecting to compete in 2-3 years.

Eh, I don't think you sign a few 4-5 defenseman and a 3rd line winger expecting it to take you to the playoffs either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they wouldn't be interested in Coburn (though I wonder if those signings have fill the need in their mind), I just don't see them overpaying that dramatically for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They also added two solid goalies. Edmonton are definitely going all out to break their playoff drought.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Eh, I don't think you sign a few 4-5 defenseman and a 3rd line winger expecting it to take you to the playoffs either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they wouldn't be interested in Coburn (though I wonder if those signings have fill the need in their mind), I just don't see them overpaying that dramatically for him.

I don't see a 2015 1st rd pick as an overpayment for a top 2-3 defenseman who would actually come to Edmonton.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They also added two solid goalies. Edmonton are definitely going all out to break their playoff drought.

I've been saying for the last three or four years now...but I think THIS is the year Edmonton puts it together. They have so much firepower that they seemingly can't suck this year. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov (maybe rebounds to his rookie year form), Peron, Pouliot, Purcell are all good players capable of putting up good numbers. Nikitin, Fayne, and Ference are solid defenders. Nothing special but that is not bad. Schultz I'm assuming will re-sign and he's another decent guy. So is Petry. I'm thinking maybe Nurse gets that last spot or Klefbom? Then Fasth and Scrivens in net. These guys are no joke. They are not contenders by any means, but looking at these two teams, I'd bet on them making the playoffs this year...for real though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Jets would never trade Trouba. You guys should just forget he exists. If we are trading with them, it would be Bogosian.

I wouldn't get up in arms over anything Morganti says. To me, he has seemed out of touch for years. I really don't know if he ever was in touch. Him on pregame or postgame is often cringe-worthy.

Add me to the list of people who would be shocked if we traded Coburn. Although, I do trust Hextall. So obviously I would want to know what's coming our direction.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
From a playoff team? Of course not. From the Oilers?

Why don't you guys ask them? :sarcasm:

Been to the Edmonton board. Read a lot of them say Klefbom or Marincin are as good as Coburn is now. Not expecting a realistic discussion on player value there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I've been saying for the last three or four years now...but I think THIS is the year Edmonton puts it together. They have so much firepower that they seemingly can't suck this year. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov (maybe rebounds to his rookie year form), Peron, Pouliot, Purcell are all good players capable of putting up good numbers. Nikitin, Fayne, and Ference are solid defenders. Nothing special but that is not bad. Schultz I'm assuming will re-sign and he's another decent guy. So is Petry. I'm thinking maybe Nurse gets that last spot or Klefbom? Then Fasth and Scrivens in net. These guys are no joke. They are not contenders by any means, but looking at these two teams, I'd bet on them making the playoffs this year...for real though.

My main concern with them is the coach.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

Who do you think they knock out in the West, though?

St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Los Angeles, you'd have to think, have mortal locks on playoff spots, barring something absolutely absurd. Colorado is in a similar position in terms of youth to Edmonton, but better at pretty much every position and with a recent history of success. San Jose is a weird team, with a blend of aging / declining starts and younger talent, but I can't realistically see Edmonton knocking them out.

The Stars added Spezza and Hemsky to a very good young core, a strong group of veterans, a top-10 goalie, and a proven coach.

That leaves Minnesota.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Who do you think they knock out in the West, though?

St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Los Angeles, you'd have to think, have mortal locks on playoff spots, barring something absolutely absurd. Colorado is in a similar position in terms of youth to Edmonton, but better at pretty much every position and with a recent history of success. San Jose is a weird team, with a blend of aging / declining starts and younger talent, but I can't realistically see Edmonton knocking them out.

The Stars added Spezza and Hemsky to a very good young core, a strong group of veterans, a top-10 goalie, and a proven coach.

That leaves Minnesota.

If anybody it would be Minnesota or Colorado. Colorado's defense is pretty bad. Statsny will be a big loss to them. Outside of OReilly, they don't have great two way forwards either.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If anybody it would be Minnesota or Colorado. Colorado's defense is pretty bad. Statsny will be a big loss to them. Outside of OReilly, they don't have great two way forwards either.

Pretty much this. And while the other teams are big favorites, I wouldn't be shocked to see one of SJS, LA, ANA, STL, or CHI miss the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't be on it, but it seems every year there is one or two teams that everyone KNOWS will make the playoffs but fall short for any number of reasons.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
ALL moves should be done with 3 years from now as the focus.
a trade for Bogo could certainly fit under the guise of a 3-years-from-now move

I think Coburn is either extended this year or traded within a year's time

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think Edmonton has to beat out one of SJ, Anaheim or LA for a divisional spot in order to get in. It helps that outside of those three teams, the rest of the division is either mediocre or really bad. I just don't see them getting a WC spot when the Central looks like it has 6 better teams competing for only 5 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad