With the Wild not resigning Mikko Koivu...

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
The guy is proven and on the back 9 of his career...if the money was right and he accepted the role he'd be given (3rd line)
would we have any issues with this possibility...let's be honest it's a LONGSHOT and maybe 1% chance of happening but if it were to happen...what do you think?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He is very slow.

I wouldn't bring him in for more than a million. We need to be able to bury deals if needed.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The guy is proven and on the back 9 of his career...if the money was right and he accepted the role he'd be given (3rd line)
would we have any issues with this possibility...let's be honest it's a LONGSHOT and maybe 1% chance of happening but if it were to happen...what do you think?

A few years ago, yeah, but he seems to have dropped off a cliff the last two years. It would be a big gamble that he just had two bad years instead of him getting old.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd have no issue if he'd sign a 1 year cheap deal. His defensive metrics are always excellent (a need for the team)

But I think he will retire.

As likely the only person here who actually watches the Wild, do you think he's better than Spezza currently?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Definitely wouldn't overpay Koivu with salary or ice-time. But if the guy wants to 'Spezza' on the fourth line, you take it.
Even if Leafs aren't really contenders for next season having Koivu sets a tone. At what cost? Lost ice-time for Gauthier?
That's a price I'm willing to pay. But maybe I'm bias since part of my family named Koivu went from Finland to
Minnesota and then into Ontario. Never under appreciate players that can see nothing accomplished on the ice for both teams.

Reactions: cookie

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this point, it's debatable whether Mikko or Saku would be the more effective brother.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don’t see the down side of having him at Spezza’s contract.
Spezza, Simmonds and Mikko at 850k each.
imagine Marleau and Jumbo at 850k each too.
Thats 5 of our bottom 6 for next season.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When was the last time the Leafs had a full-time 3rd or 4th line center that could kill penalties?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
When was the last time the Leafs had a full-time 3rd or 4th line center that could kill penalties?
This is an issue we've had the last few years that doesn't get talked about much. 3rd and 4th liners need to be able to PK, especially the centers.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nill gave Pavelski, Perry and another vet dman credit for getting their team over the hump after losing to the Blues in the WCF last year. This team could use another impactful vet or two. Not saying Spezza did not help but we could use another vet that can play higher up in the lineup and on D. Doubt Koivu is that guy.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Our first two lines are stacked and should be playing 20+ mins a night offensively.

We need some quality defensive guys to take draws, kill penalties and soak up a few minutes without hurting us in our own end.

Would love to add a vet leader like Koivu as our 3C

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nill gave Pavelski, Perry and another vet dman credit for getting their team over the hump after losing to the Blues in the WCF last year. This team could use another impactful vet or two. Not saying Spezza did not help but we could use another vet that can play higher up in the lineup and on D. Doubt Koivu is that guy.

Koivu got around 15min average a night worth of icetime last season, which would put him comfortably within 3rdnline territory on the Leafs with Matthews/Tavares/Nylander able to cover top 6 centre duties

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad