Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 72 53.7%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Interesting… rumour that we like Kosta? I hope we trade down if we do..
Rumor from where?

Well, consider in 2020 when they admitted after the draft that they had decided they were going dman no matter what. That wasn't awesome to hear if he and Bob were to be believed. Why would they lie though?
I think that was more, they knew atleast 1 of those 2 defensemen would be available at their pick.

They said if they both were available they would would have entertained trading back a spot because they just wanted one of those 2 guys.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Well, consider in 2020 when they admitted after the draft that they had decided they were going dman no matter what. That wasn't awesome to hear if he and Bob were to be believed. Why would they lie though?
I remember that and that ends up being the guy that gets traded.
2019 to 2023, when I rank how excited I was at the picks when they were drafted, the Drysdale pick ranks last and nothing to do with how he developed or where he is now. I thought he was a safe pick and they could have gone with Quinn/Rossi/Perfetti. There was a lot of Fowler compares to Drysdale that he turns into RD Fowler and I wanted more than another Fowler at #6.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, but that could have been because of how they saw the draft playing out. There's no doubt they would have been happy with Sanderson or Drysdale at 6. With Laf, Byfield, and Stuzle pretty much a consensus at 1-3 that would leave Detroit at 4 as a wildcard. Unless we didn't know they had Guhle (who went 16) right there with Sanderson and Drysdale. In which case they "knew" they were picking a D.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Rumor from where?

Maybe it’s wishful thinking for Canadians.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Maybe it’s wishful thinking for Canadians.
HAHAHA yep more Montreal bullshit. They have us taking a player that they dont want a pick before them. No rumour here just purely make us crap so that Montreal gets Lindstrom for clicks.

"Multiple sources have spoken to Anaheim’s strong appreciation for Helenius’ never-say-die playing style and his strong puck-carrying ability. The 17-year-old put up an impressive 14 goals and 36 points in 51 games in the Finnish Liiga for Jukurit, while playing a sound defensive game.

Talk at the most recent U-18s is that quite a few teams see Helenius as one of the few players in this draft that could be close to NHL-ready, and, the feeling is, that he would be able to slot in down the middle in Anaheim and grow with the emerging core as they look to pull themselves out of the basement of the NHL standings."

• Haha
Reactions: cheesymc

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
HAHAHA yep more Montreal bullshit. They have us taking a player that they dont want a pick before them. No rumour here just purely make us crap so that Montreal gets Lindstrom for clicks.

"Multiple sources have spoken to Anaheim’s strong appreciation for Helenius’ never-say-die playing style and his strong puck-carrying ability. The 17-year-old put up an impressive 14 goals and 36 points in 51 games in the Finnish Liiga for Jukurit, while playing a sound defensive game.

Talk at the most recent U-18s is that quite a few teams see Helenius as one of the few players in this draft that could be close to NHL-ready, and, the feeling is, that he would be able to slot in down the middle in Anaheim and grow with the emerging core as they look to pull themselves out of the basement of the NHL standings."
Hey we have 4 top 6 centers, what's one more??

Reactions: Trojans86

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I hope we didn’t already do that with Mctavish. Cause I’m not so sure he is even 6 foot tall.
Reminds me of how Beauchemin was always listed as 6'1, but then late in his career it was changed to a more honest 5'11 and when he stands next to guys at 6'1 he's clearly shorter.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Reminds me of how Beauchemin was always listed as 6'1, but then late in his career it was changed to a more honest 5'11 and when he stands next to guys at 6'1 he's clearly shorter.
Hopefully he eventually plays tough like Beauch as he develops cause right now he’s a sub 6 foot 3rd line center that seems to wear down as the season goes. Yes, for me, he’s behind Carlsson annd Zegras in the middle (both of whom had injury issues as well lol). And I know he’s really young and can hopefully develop into what I hope a 3OA pick becomes.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
I strongly belive that to be a great player in any sport you need to be smart, understand the game and be calm and collected in deciding moments. For a team to win in the playoffs and win the stanley cup they need players like that. You don't win Stanley cups because you have a big team, you don't win because you have skilled team, nor a fast team. You win because you have players who understands how to use these attributes to win games. I have been watching hockey for 20 years now, and this is my belief. (I still remember how livid i was when we drafted Nick Ritchie, worst pick we ever made.)

TLDR: The main attribut i look for is smart players who understands the game and can use the attributes they posses. Skill, size, speed is only secondary. But i would prefer them in that order.

With that said, Silayev is on my no draft list and i hope Chicago takes him (i would honeslty not draft him top 10), that would leave us with the choice of Demidov and Levshunov imo. Both great picks.

But we are picking Silayev, im sure.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I strongly belive that to be a great player in any sport you need to be smart, understand the game and be calm and collected in deciding moments. For a team to win in the playoffs and win the stanley cup they need players like that. You don't win Stanley cups because you have a big team, you don't win because you have skilled team, nor a fast team. You win because you have players who understands how to use these attributes to win games. I have been watching hockey for 20 years now, and this is my belief. (I still remember how livid i was when we drafted Nick Ritchie, worst pick we ever made.)

TLDR: The main attribut i look for is smart players who understands the game and can use the attributes they posses. Skill, size, speed is only secondary. But i would prefer them in that order.

With that said, Silayev is on my no draft list and i hope Chicago takes him (i would honeslty not draft him top 10), that would leave us with the choice of Demidov and Levshunov imo. Both great picks.

But we are picking Silayev, im sure.
How much of Silayev have you actually watched to make that judgment ? Any time a 17 year-old plays a full season against men I have to take notice. And if that guy is 6’7” i really have to take notice. And if that guy is ranked #1 for euros by CSB then I really really have to take notice. Having him on your no draft list seems crazy to me.

Reactions: Vipers31

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The note I read, the more I want us to pick one of the guys that end in V. Lev would be the biggest need, highest all around floor, and no Russian risk (but we've had issues with college kids before). Silayev could be the biggest boom (in multiple ways) out of these guys but also highest bust potential, also plays the right side I think? Demidov has size issues, but pair him with a couple of bigger guys and the offense is 3 lines deep. You sign cheap contracts for good players like Vatrano (maybe more physical, support guys) and you have Carlsson, McTavish, Z down they middle and Gauthier, Terry, Demidov on the a wing... or load up the top 6 of you're down a goal late in a game. Ducks would definitely need to draft/sign guys with size if they get Demidov.

On a side note, if we do draft Demidov, I hope we push for 2 RHD in FA/trade, even if they have a bit of term... outside if Luneau there won't be any high end RHD coming up in the next couple years.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I strongly belive that to be a great player in any sport you need to be smart, understand the game and be calm and collected in deciding moments.

...Demidov and Levshunov imo. Both great picks.

Isn't the knock on Lev his hockey IQ?

The scouting reports I saw/read earlier in the year described him as passive in the defensive zone. He seemed lost, honestly, and his offense appeared clunky as well. That said, multiple sources have mentioned that he improved as the year went on.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
How much of Silayev have you actually watched to make that judgment ? Any time a 17 year-old plays a full season against men I have to take notice. And if that guy is 6’7” i really have to take notice. And if that guy is ranked #1 for euros by CSB then I really really have to take notice. Having him on your no draft list seems crazy to me.
I have not watch much Silayev. And watching highlights will not tell the whole story, but they do not impress. The scoutingservices i trust says he's low iq, big, no offence (yet) defencemen that had a bad second part of the year. I don't think he would be anywhere near top 20 if he wasn't that big. No toolbox.

Isn't the knock on Lev his hockey IQ?

The scouting reports I saw/read earlier in the year described him as passive in the defensive zone. He seemed lost, honestly, and his offense appeared clunky as well. That said, multiple sources have mentioned that he improved as the year went on.
Have not heard anything about that. Good offence, two way defencemen projected to be a top 2 D. Putting up impressive numbers in college.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I have not watch much Silayev. And watching highlights will not tell the whole story, but they do not impress. The scoutingservices i trust says he's low iq, big, no offence (yet) defencemen that had a bad second part of the year. I don't think he would be anywhere near top 20 if he wasn't that big.

Have not heard anything about that. Good offence, two way defencemen projected to be a top 2 D. Putting up impressive numbers in college.
I'd love to have you link for the scouting service that says Silayev has a low IQ. I do believe that if Levshunov is taken 2OA that Silayev will be the Ducks pick (despite my desire for Demidov). In fact, I think there is a world where Silayev is the Ducks pick even if Levshunov is still available. Obviously, you agree and that's why you are concerned.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have not watch much Silayev. And watching highlights will not tell the whole story, but they do not impress. The scoutingservices i trust says he's low iq, big, no offence (yet) defencemen that had a bad second part of the year. I don't think he would be anywhere near top 20 if he wasn't that big. No toolbox.

In Bob McKenzie's poll of ten actual NHL scouts, Silayev came in third overall with two ranking him #2 overall, three having him #3 overall and two having him #4 overall overall. It would seem they don't share the concerns about his IQ that you are sourcing from whatever independent service.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

6’7 with elite skating makes him a unicorn. That’s the makeup of someone that could be the best defensive d in the league. I wouldn’t mind that pick at all. Points from d don’t always tell the whole story. Sometimes you have d taking way too many chances. Other times a defensive guy is covering for more of an offensive d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad