Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Go ahead and rationalize why picking a goalie in the 3rd round from the USHL with not shining numbers is an amazeballs achievement. Not only that, but you apparently lack context as to what's already in our pipeline.

Dostal: 23 years old, in NHL
*Suchanek: just turned 21 this past April 30th, in AHL. UDFA (signed to a 3-year ELC)
Clang: 22 years old, in AHL (1-year left on ELC)
Clara: 19 years old, in HockeyAllsvenkan this season; in SHL next season (not signed)
Buteyets: 21 years old, in VHL this year; AHL or ECHL next season (2-year ELC)
Alexander: 21 years old, in ECHL (1 year left on ELC)

We picked up a goalie prospect before the season ended in Suchanek, who has already proven to be very good at the ECHL and AHL level.

The scouting community loves him so much that he's projected to go in the third round by you? If the community loved a prospect so much, then wouldn't that goalie be selected high in the first round? You're run into the cognitive dissonance chasm.

Shit. I'm not the only person saying this year's netminding group is down. Maybe you should swallow your paper thin pride before you go making everyone more dumb.

"The scouting community loves him so much that he's projected to go in third round round by you". False, I didn't project anything. In this fun little mock draft that you are taking way too seriously, I picked him in the third round. He very well may go higher for all we know.

He's the #1 CSB ranked goalie for the draft. Call them up and have them explain why he's not being written off due to poor stats.

You are the last poster on this forum who should accuse anyone of having paper thin pride. The slightest little bit of disagreement causes you a a complete meltdown, almost on a daily basis here. It's downright pitiful

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well we knew that was going to happen…
Same topic in most threads eh and the discussion seems to go in circles:laugh::popcorn:

Not sure why it always has to get personal. Especially on the Ducks board where users seem to be rather classy. In other areas of hfboards I did come across trolls or fools but everybody here seems to be cool from what I can tell.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, if you want a long term project of 4 to 6 years on a goalie. But to do that at pick 76 is a waste. Picking the best of the worst isn't something to write home about. This is why I shared Dostal's numbers as a higher standard. It's a down year for netminders. We have a superfluous amount in the system already, including 6'6 Clara and a potential gem in Suchanek, who went completely undrafted.
Dostal, an 85th overall pick, made the NHL full time 5 years after being drafted. I don't get your objection. With some exceptions, goalies take forever to figure out, good or bad.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Same topic in most threads eh and the discussion seems to go in circles:laugh::popcorn:

Not sure why it always has to get personal. Especially on the Ducks board where users seem to be rather classy. In other areas of hfboards I did come across trolls or fools but everybody here seems to be cool from what I can tell.
My comment was about the Edmonton pick.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
"The scouting community loves him so much that he's projected to go in third round round by you". False, I didn't project anything. In this fun little mock draft that you are taking way too seriously, I picked him in the third round. He very well may go higher for all we know.

He's the #1 CSB ranked goalie for the draft. Call them up and have them explain why he's not being written off due to poor stats.

You are the last poster on this forum who should accuse anyone of having paper thin pride. The slightest little bit of disagreement causes you a a complete meltdown, almost on a daily basis here. It's downright pitiful
It’s why I had to stop engaging him a while back.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I must admit that the more I research Levshunov the more I get Jack Johnson vibes as a pretty good comparable. And that is not a good thing.
Yup. This has been on my mind since about January. It’ll be seriously disappointing if he’s who we end up with. In my opinion of course

Reactions: Terry Yake and tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yup. This has been on my mind since about January. It’ll be seriously disappointing if he’s who we end up with. In my opinion of course
Something tells me that if the average fan can see it then so can PV/MM. The tools and talent are there but I'm just not at all confident he puts them together at the next level. I think there are better options. In my opinion of course.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Something tells me that if the average fan can see it then so can PV/MM. The tools and talent are there but I'm just not at all confident he puts them together at the next level. I think there are better options. In my opinion of course.
Yup, I just watched one of the new shift by shift videos of him playing Michigan prior to the frozen four and it was concerning to say the least. I just don’t see it with him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah I mean in Madden we trust, I obviously don't claim to know better when they are truly digging in on watching these guys live. But I just really have red flags going off when watching Lev. His physical tool kit is already above average for the NHL - that makes him a dominant college player, but he also looks lightyears away from being able to defend and move pucks efficiently at the NHL level. He cheats the game looking for offense like a one dimensional winger. He's one that they'd really want to grill in the interviews to try and determine how much he can be reprogrammed, because his game need an entire overhaul if he's going to be more than a wildcard. But he's from a somewhat unusual background and on a very atypical development curve. It's a bit of a unique case all things considered.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really can't get too excited about any of these guys this year tbh.
The mystery element is fun at least.

The wheeler/pronman two round mock has us taking:

3 - silayev
29 - dean letourneau (6'7" high school center)
35 - Henry mews (RHD, played with mintyukov)
58 - John Mustard (college bound speedy winger projected as a maybe first rounder)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I mean in Madden we trust, I obviously don't claim to know better when they are truly digging in on watching these guys live. But I just really have red flags going off when watching Lev. His physical tool kit is already above average for the NHL - that makes him a dominant college player, but he also looks lightyears away from being able to defend and move pucks efficiently at the NHL level. He cheats the game looking for offense like a one dimensional winger. He's one that they'd really want to grill in the interviews to try and determine how much he can be reprogrammed, because his game need an entire overhaul if he's going to be more than a wildcard. But he's from a somewhat unusual background and on a very atypical development curve. It's a bit of a unique case all things considered.
Yeah, I'm struggling with his game because I just don't know how much will translate to the NHL. In some ways I would compare him to Mintyukov but Levshunov doesn't seem nearly as dynamic offensively (obviously allowance must be given to the fact that they played in very different leagues in their draft years).

The tools are there but I think fans will have to be very patient with Levshunov and be prepared for some frustrating growth pains if the Ducks take him. I see another year at MSU and then at least a year in the AHL. If the Ducks take him it means they are very comfortable that his offensive game will translate 100% to the NHL and are willing to live with the likelihood that his defensive game is going to be inconsistent. If his offense doesn't translate then he will literally be JMFJ reincarnated. He could go anywhere from 2 to 7 based on how teams project him...it's going to be interesting to see on draft day!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

3 - silayev
58 - John Mustard (college bound speedy winger projected as a maybe first rounder)

I like the picks...I just hope they weren't confused and thought they were doing an NBA mock draft when making the Anaheim selections!

Reactions: anezthes and Static

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I really can't get too excited about any of these guys this year tbh.
Yeah, I'm with you, although I think it takes the pressure off somewhat. I'll be happy with any of these guys because who knows? They could all be good.

The thing that sucks about this year is that the 10th pick could very well be as good as whom we pick at 3. Everyone admits that now. But no one is going to remember that in three or four years when the people who hate Verbeek reach in the quiver for another arrow.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, I'm with you, although I think it takes the pressure off somewhat. I'll be happy with any of these guys because who knows? They could all be good.

The thing that sucks about this year is that the 10th pick could very well be as good as whom we pick at 3. Everyone admits that now. But no one is going to remember that in three or four years when the people who hate Verbeek reach in the quiver for another arrow.
That's mostly true in every draft though. Last year was one of the rare instances where it would be truly surprising for the top three players to not be the top three players in 10 years time.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

3 - silayev

There's a John Mustard???? I insist we draft him! I'm fine taking him in the first round, I have to have him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dostal, an 85th overall pick, made the NHL full time 5 years after being drafted. I don't get your objection. With some exceptions, goalies take forever to figure out, good or bad.

The objection is the draft slot, a 3rd round pick. As previously shared, Dostal posted a far better production in his D+0 season, also in a U20 league from across the pond. Hell, Suchanek posted better numbers in what should have been his D+0 season and he went completely undrafted a few times and just signed as a FA.

Again, a third round pick for a goalie with tools and size (6'4), but without very good production in the USHL is an unwarranted risk, especially when considering how deep we are in net at the moment: Dostal (2018, Rd 3), Clang (2020, Rd 3), Suchanek (UDFA), Alexander(2021, Rd 5), Buteyets (2022, Rd 6), and Clara (2023, Rd 2).

It's a down year for goalies b/c CSB ranks Yegorov #1 overall in their goalie list for NA. If he's coming off the board in the middle of the 3rd round in a fan mock, then it reiterates it's a bad year for goalies despite all who hoot and hollering for him. We still have a 4th and a 6th round pick.

Omaha Lancers (USHL) goalie productions this year:

Yegorov Goalie, Omaha Lancers stats.png

6'4" Yegorov is the goalie being pumped up. CSB ranking is based upon their projection of where the prospect can be in the future.

Hendrickson only got 7 games in b/c he had just finished playing out his high school season. Kam has the same amount of shutouts as Yegorov in the USHL, but Kam notched 7 shutouts in high school this season as well. Kam is 2" shorter than Yegorov. On the CSB (NA) goalie list, Kam ranks 32nd. Probably not enough burn at the USHL level to have a solid scouting report. Team US had him on the U18 Hlinka cup, implying he's at least on the radar.

Interesting, a goalie can be a captain at high school level.

Goalie Hendrickson stats (2024).png

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The objection is the draft slot, a 3rd round pick. As previously shared, Dostal posted a far better production in his D+0 season, also in a U20 league from across the pond. Hell, Suchanek posted better numbers in what should have been his D+0 season and he went completely undrafted a few times and just signed as a FA.

Again, a third round pick for a goalie with tools and size (6'4), but without very good production in the USHL is an unwarranted risk, especially when considering how deep we are in net at the moment: Dostal (2018, Rd 3), Clang (2020, Rd 3), Suchanek (UDFA), Alexander(2021, Rd 5), Buteyets (2022, Rd 6), and Clara (2023, Rd 2).

It's a down year for goalies b/c CSB ranks Yegorov #1 overall in their goalie list for NA. If he's coming off the board in the middle of the 3rd round in a fan mock, then it reiterates it's a bad year for goalies despite all who hoot and hollering for him. We still have a 4th and a 6th round pick.

Omaha Lancers (USHL) goalie productions this year:

View attachment 874308

6'4" Yegorov is the goalie being pumped up. CSB ranking is based upon their projection of where the prospect can be in the future.

Hendrickson only got 7 games in b/c he had just finished playing out his high school season. Kam has the same amount of shutouts as Yegorov in the USHL, but Kam notched 7 shutouts in high school this season as well. Kam is 2" shorter than Yegorov. On the CSB (NA) goalie list, Kam ranks 32nd. Probably not enough burn at the USHL level to have a solid scouting report. Team US had him on the U18 Hlinka cup, implying he's at least on the radar.

Interesting, a goalie can be a captain at high school level.

View attachment 874310
Why the hell didn't we draft Croix Kochendorfer? Madden sucks at drafting guys with cool names.

Takes the pressure off the scouts anyway. I don't usually give GMs a hard time about missed picks unless they're way off the board and I won't start with PV. My main problem with this draft menu is I'm out of patience but anyone we draft is realistically years away from contributing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad