With the new signings, is this where our real "window" starts

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
IMO Crosby looked like a much different player when he took the jaw protector off. He was tentative and sloppy in the first 2 Bruins games.
Morrow was too slow to get to the net on the first 2 lines.

I think Sid's injury had a bigger effect than it appears. If we actually had a healthy lineup in April, we could have tried different combinations and gained more chemistry as a team instead of just hoping it all fit together in the playoffs.

Karnage420*

2013-2014 is the last window year, as letang will be on the last year of his cheap contract.

a new window opens after that, but its going to be much less effective with the big names off of their ELCs.

we will just be one of those teams, like anaheim. we'll get our shot randomly, but our ELC/bridge contract advantage is gone.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd say we're in the window now. If Crosby doesn't win more than 1 cup in his career I'll be pissed.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As I said in the other thread, when this era is over we will be looking at these years as the " lost years"...." Bylsma years" . 5-6 years where we wasted opportunities because of the system. No doubt about it we will win 2 more cups by the time Crosby / Malkin era is over. We just thought we'd have more when it was all said and done. But the system didn't allow it. Already wasting 4 years...and at least 2 more with byslma as coach. Definitely no dynasty for us( if that is even possible anymore in hockey) , but we will get 2 more with these guys. Just don't expect it within the next few seasons.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
key players were largely healthy for the first time in several years. crosby, malkin, letang, fleury, etc should all be near the prime of their careers. they had an unusually large amount of cap space due to letang's contract and the staal deal. they had plenty of draft picks and prospects to improve the team. they had scoring depth and skill throughout the lineup that, at least on paper, hadnt been seen for some time.

it was the ideal scenario for the penguins and they blew it. on paper, i very much doubt the penguins will be a superior team next postseason.

Having key players healthy is something that should happen most years. We had some bad luck with injuries which is what I think makes this year stand out more than it should.

Yes Crosby was back but he hadn't played in quite some time. Chemistry is quite important. That line was clicking in the regular season, it wasn't in the playoffs and I don't attribute all of that to just the difference in playoff hockey to regular hockey

I think an arguement could be made we were a better team with Staal. The real fruits of that trade are yet to be had. Sutter needs to develop more and DP needs to make it up.

It really depends on how you look at it. I think we had a great team but the real reason we looked "so good" was that the rest of the east wasn't very good minus the bruins.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If Bylsma stays for the next two years you can basically write them off. He's ruined a lineup that was 10 times better than any we'll have over these next two seasons. After he's gone, god willing that happens, then we'll have a chance.

Are you sure it was 10x better... maybe only 7x better?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Nothing really went all that well from the day we got Iginla. Crosby being injured was terrible for chemistry. Malkin was never right after the JVR hit, and still couldn't shoot in the playoffs.

Sutter will get better, his first real playoff run was bad, but he got a bit better towards the end.

All of the deadline players made chemistry a bit of a mess, and left guys like Vitale on the sidelines, when they clearly should have played more.

So I like our position moving forward with the 2 centers signed, I see the window as being wide open every year they're both healthy. And now that they're getting older, we won't feel the need to get these grizzled vets in to support them every year. Let's get some young and hungry guys in instead.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Iggy was actually producing near PPG in the playoffs despite Bylsma's cluster-**** approach to his positioning. Would've been happy to have him back if Disco wasn't but now not sure. I suppose you could argue he could get better there playing LW from camp and through a whole season but...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No, they just make it longer.

The Penguins have squandered four years of chances.

In fairness there was no way we were winning anything in the TB playoff year. We should've closed out TB but with the injuries the Cup was not realistic.

But last year and this year for sure, were huge wasted opportunities. And two is bad enough.

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich
2013-2014 is the last window year, as letang will be on the last year of his cheap contract.

a new window opens after that, but its going to be much less effective with the big names off of their ELCs.

we will just be one of those teams, like anaheim. we'll get our shot randomly, but our ELC/bridge contract advantage is gone.

What key players were on their ELC's? Despres didn't plat all that much, same with Bennett. Plus he's still on his ELC beyond next season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
TEH WINDOW DON'T EVEN OPEN TILL FLEURY IS CUT, BYSLMA IS FIRED, AND LETANG IS TRADED

/DonCherryVoice'd

edit: this is an interesting topic. We're now squarely in the middle of Crosby and Malkin's primes. The time is now. The future is present. The past is prologue. My pants are missing

Wife wearing them? :wedgie:

phaeded

Jan 10, 2012
Honestly half of the people on this board are ****ing stupid as ****... Best chance to win the cup was this year??? Why because we signed a bunch of old ass vets that were supposed to bring us a cup?? Seriously shut up. It's not about bringing in a bunch of players at the deadline, it's about have a team that has great chemistry and plays well together. Aside from Murray none of the other guys seemed to mesh with our players. Young talent that are with us for a full season to build chemistry with speed and stamina that will still have some juice left going into the playoffs is what we need. Teams filling rosters with old vets aren't doing it.. And please don't bring up Jagr the guy is like a turtle and i would still be pissed if I was a bruins fan and he was signed. Also a real leader(captain) is huge. I feel like our team is full of softies and that no one goes nuts in the locker room to get guys going. You have Sid and Dan saying its ok guys we just need to stick to our game.... Where's billy g, where's Stevens when you need them.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Our window is still wide open, we got 9 more years of Sid and Geno, In the next 9 years im expecting

8 playoff appearances
3 conference finals
2 finals
1 cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad