Prospect Info: With the 70th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Jacob Ragnarsson

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of the few picks we made I didn't dislike. I'm a fan of this kid.

This is a smart kid who defends pretty well already, skates well and might have some untapped offensive potential. Very productive season in the Allsvenskan. One of the older first year draft-eligibles, but thats not his fault.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Repost from the other thread:

I'm intrigued by the Jacob Ragnarsson pick. He put up 13 points in 47 games in the Allsvenskan this year. That compares to 17 in 37 for OEL, 13 in 38 for Mattias Ekholm, and 13 in 43 for Rasmus Andersson. That's pretty good company, even if his #'s aren't quite as good. He shows off some pretty good vision and passing ability in this highlight clip Alex Nunn put up:

It seems like he skates well and he has decent size with NHL bloodlines. From what I've found, his defense gets decent reviews in a pro league. If he has the potential to turn into OEL-lite or Ekholm-lite, that seems like a pretty exciting 3rd round pick to me.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
One of the few picks we made I didn't dislike. I'm a fan of this kid.

This is a smart kid who defends pretty well already, skates well and might have some untapped offensive potential. Very productive season in the Allsvenskan. One of the older first year draft-eligibles, but thats not his fault.
I agree, it it not his fault. I blame the parents.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #55 Jacob Ragnarsson

"In the defensive zone, he is active with the puck, willing to skate it out when needed and pressuring opponents with his long reach and active feet.
His pGPS presents a lower success rate but as mentioned in multiple profiles about the SHL before, being a regular in the Allsvenskan is generally a good indicator of higher success rates. It’s also worth adding that Detroit Red Wings prospect Gustav Lindstrom was taken in the 2nd round of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft after posting 9 points in 48 games with Almtuna last season. Given the change in role, his two-way skill set, and underrated offensive game – Ragnarsson might be a player we see taken earlier than people expected and with some patience could develop into a two-way defender in the NHL."

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Ragnarsson could be this year's Gohstisbere. Good pick for the third round, i preferred them going with McLaughlin or Gruden here but if they decided dman this is a good pick.

Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can get to his home rink within 10 minutes, should have some info on him the coming years.

And I really hope he can make the U20 national team.

He didn't make the Summer camp. Probably the biggest snub from that roster, although he has half a season to make the team.

If I was guessing, the two returnees from last year, Liljegren and Brannstrom are locks. Boqvist and Westerlund were late cuts last year, probably also locks. Sandin, Lundkvist, Ginning, Johansson, Hedberg, Walfridsson, Ragnarsson probably competing for 3 spots.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great news. I was high on him at the draft and I remain so.

Yeah, this was a surprise to me. He haven't made the teams lately, but he was injured during the summer and early camp.

I almost started to hope that Kjellberg would make it too when these two guys were selected and one name was left. ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Comment was:
Defensive defender who is big and can play in all situations.

Has Jacob grown since being drafted? 6'0 180 lbs isn't all that big. His dad was big though... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've not seen any games with Ragnarsson in a while. When I saw him earlier in the year -- when he just had returned from his injury -- he was definitely crap. Almost comically bad. But that really don't say anything.

Montén stated earlier that with the competition he had it was going to be a fight to the end and form would play a big part in his decision. Obviously he has seen JR play lately and he must have been really impressed.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Thought he was definitely out when he got injured, happy he's in. Haven't been able to Watch any Almtuna games so far this season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Surprised. He plays 18+ so his coaches obviously like him despite underwhelming counting stats. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad