Prospect Info: With the 211th pick, Kings select Nick Ebert

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ebert leading the OHL in +/- this year.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/records/ls_season/49/subtype/10

Not bad after his -39 last year! Anybody see him play this year?

Yeah, he's a very skilled puck carrying defenseman. He has a cannon of a shot.

He has a tendency to try to do too much, but he is very decisive.

You can read more about him, and one of his games I watched, here: http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/11/prospect-game-watch-kurtis-macdermid-vs-nick-ebert/

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good update and nice article, KingsPawn.

Ebert got in 4 reg season games with the Reign last year and had 3 assists...he then played 10 playoff games and had 2 goals and 5 assists. Not bad, considering he turned 19 in May.

I recall an article on Nick in which Reign Ast Coach Mark Hardy
worked with Nick and had some great things to say about him.
I recall Hardy telling Nick about Drew Doughty playing fearless...absolutely no fear...and how he was trying to impart that
into Nick; to get that into his makeup and attitude out there. At this year's draft, the NHL draft broadcast brought Nick on, at the end of the broadcast, to talk about being the last player chosen the prior draft and he was very well spoken. He seems very focused and out to prove himself.

It's great to see so many of the Kings prospects start blossoming and taking their games to a higher level. One's that would seem fringe prospects. Don't want to get off topic, but guys like Weal, taking their games to a much higher level. The Kings may lack a top 50, sure fire NHL prospect, but they have tons of prospects that may turn out to be better than some on that list.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123311

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Hyka is 5th on his team in scoring, somehow. And Hyka was a good value pick. I wouldn't have wasted a tryout on Ebert. I just think he's a very bad hockey player and it starts between the ears. He's not a smart player and honestly I don't ever see an NHL career for him. I've been wrong before. Just don't think I will be on Ebert.

Yep. Guy went in the 3rd round the next year. Slepy is great offensively. A lot of tools you like to have and a far better value than Ebert.

Inb4 someone claims I just love Russians. :laugh:

While I agree that he may have no NHL career because of the issues between his ears, I still love the pick. Last pick in the draft is the perfect place to grab a talented player who missing the toolbox. Anyone you grab 211th overall is going have glaring holes in his game and likely not have an NHL future, so I'd rather we took one whose issues is the toolbox, not the tools.

I honestly don't share your love of Slepshev, though he as well has nice skills. I question if he will even come over to NA, and considering DL's excellent track record with drafting NA bound Russians, if Slepyshev had any intention of coming to NA and Futa felt the kid had legit NHL upside, I can't see LA not grabbing him. The fact LA bypassed him speaks volumes to me.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ebert has progressed quite a bit, growing in confidence as evidenced by his on ice disposition.

He tries to make very decisive moves with the puck. He and Leslie at times made the opposition look silly.

He tries to play the game like Doughty though he lacks the same level hockey IQ and lesser grit.

Definitely has earned a contract and a chance in the AHL.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Zac Leslie is expected to be at Development Camp, but Ebert isn't listed. A bit disappointing.

Not totally shocked since he has been to two previous camps, but it would have been nice to see how he has progressed. Obviously he got a contract so the Kings like what they see. We'll see if Leslie impresses the Kings enough to earn a contract as well. With so many defensemen in the pipleline, it's getting a little crowded.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
We're told Ebert may be there. List isn't set in stone.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Why the edit? Were you wrong?

Always valiant in defeat. You don't have to be embarresed about being wrong. Humans are only human. 29 other gms also thought Ebertov was useless so no need to be too proud. We value your posts on Manchester, no need to be cool

Edit* say hi to your mum for me

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Editing a seven month old post to try and save face on what is basically an opinion seems kinda ridiculous to me, there's nothing wrong with being wrong. With that said, I love the info CNS posts

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Opinions are all over the board, regarding Nick. Ultimately, selecting him
#211 has proved to be good. How many 7th rd picks ever make it to the AHL?

Sometimes, there is no 'right or wrong' about a prospect. Maybe someone makes
valid negative points to a player or positive ones and are not entirely correct.
Even 1st round picks have flaws! There are few perfect prospects.

I think it is best to get info from a prospects coach and see what his coach said about Nick last month...from the Memorial Cup. I saw another article (cannot find it...where they said about getting Kirby Rychel and Nick in the trade.."Rychel has been good, but Ebert has been 20% better than we thought he was" something like that)

No matter what, Ebert's numbers were spectacular this past season. Over 70 points (reg season + playoffs) and over a +50.
Pretty phenomenal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/irrele...-his-value-to-the-guelph-storm-021015649.html

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Was a great Boom or bust pick, no risk at 7th round. Ebert is a hard worker prove em wrong kid !!!!

Heh shameless plug, my take on Ebert in this thread(post#25) was pretty spot on.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Moving on... :madfire: :deadhorse

How about that Nick Ebert, I wonder if he'll stand out this season in Manchester, assuming he goes there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00