With Tampa out, Calgary on the brink and Toronto in a rough fight mean Size > Skill?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah, the thing about Tampa isn't that they didn't hit.

They're mentally soft. Columbus swung the momentum in game 1 and they just couldn't manage it.
There are definitely other concerns with Tampa, but mental fragility is the big one for me as well. It was kind of hard to watch them pack it in immediately after encountering some adversity. You'd have thought the whole year was building up to a good playoff run for them, but they couldn't put anything together

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
When you look at NYI/WPG/STB/Vegas/(Washington?), and the success they are all having with big gritty players should a team focus on that? Is Size + Grit >>> Speed + Skill

In my estimation, it is neither skill, nor grit, that carries teams --- it is effort, and dealing with adversity. Tampa looked flat after Game 1, and that is because they had not faced that level of adversity all year.

Pittsburgh was much the same; they relied too heavily on the strength of three or four players, and when they couldn't make it happen, the team fell flat. Look to Colorado to see what happens when your superstars show up and do superstar things.

Calgary? Colorado is just outplaying them. It's not a grit and size vs speed and skill thing; its just key players showing up at key times carrying their team through a team who's key players aren't doing it.

Toronto does not have the defensive group to carry them through Boston consistently. Despite Rask playing like complete garbage half the time, the Leafs can't find a way to win because they are porous and give up far too many opportunities. Boston plays a physical style of hockey, but they are still incredibly fast and have some incredibly skillful players. That series will come down to refs; if Boston can play the physical game, they will win because that's the way their team plays. If it boils down to clean 5on5 hockey, I don't like their odds when Andersen outplays Rask.

I think the faster, more skilled Dallas is giving Nashville a run. I also feel that the Blues are faster, and more skilled. Both of those teams suffer from poor defense and poor depth, however.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Toronto is outhitting Boston in their series, and no one EVER accused them of being a gritty team.

Ennis and Moore have both knocked Zdeno on his ass. If they stood on each other's shoulders it'd be about pound for pound.

It's about preparedness, compete and intensity. Not size.
Yeah, that Ennis is a tiger.:rolleyes:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Boston is not out muscling the leafs at all. Actually the leafs have been more physical in most games

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Patrick Kane isn't the biggest of players in the NHL, he's actually considered small by many. There are a lot of people who believe that size is a huge factor in the playoffs (to which I agree). If that is the case, then how was Kane so clutch in the playoffs? Are intangibles a factor as well or no?

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Boston is not out muscling the leafs at all. Actually the leafs have been more physical in most games

Chara is an implosion waiting to happen. Toronto is using the same strategy the hawks did in 2013, chip it directly behind him and Chase it down. He's already taken penalties getting caught flat footed. He's actually lucky he hasn't gotten roughing penalties too as last game tavares was trying to deke around him and Chara basically stiff armed him in the face which you know, is illegal

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Size only matters when there is some skill to go with it.

The sentiment "Size>Skill" is a blanket generalization and really doesn't hold any water. There are many ways to win in the league, as we've seen with recent successful teams who are constructed differently.

Ultimately, playoffs are about the ability to ADAPT more then anything else. Can't adapt to an opponents game plan and you wind up like Tampa and Pittsburgh - real quick.

In regards to P.Kane - he is so good in the playoffs because he can dangle around everyone who is bigger then him....

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Then what's Gaudreau's excuse?

I don't make excuses for myself or others for that matter....

If you want my theory or explanation, I point to his limited playoffs experience. The playoffs can be very mental too - stakes are high, pressure is on. I think Gaudreau will get better in the post season with more experience - 19 games is really not much - he had 9 Points in his first 11 too.

I'm not watching the series so I don't know if he's gripping his stick too tight or what

Reactions: Loriginale

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There are plenty of smaller players that do great in the playoffs.

Smaller perimeter players might struggle a bit since they have a harder time to get to scoring positions and draw penalties with how the playoff games are played and called.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I bet the majority of playoff leaders are right around six foot +/- an inch .

But for small vs big I'm actually curious who would win nvm play styles .

But I think third and forth liners would def have an advantage with size . And top lines are helped when they have at least one bigger guy on the line.

Danny Briere is a playoff monster and it's just completely unexpected

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Crosby leg thickness alone is wider than most guys torso. He is short in stature but one of the strongest players out there. So yeah size does mean something.

DDnATcgU0AAi5xx.jpg:large

Reactions: varank

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Patrick Kane isn't the biggest of players in the NHL, he's actually considered small by many. There are a lot of people who believe that size is a huge factor in the playoffs (to which I agree). If that is the case, then how was Kane so clutch in the playoffs? Are intangibles a factor as well or no?
Because nobody said size is the only factor?

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Yeah Crosby may not be huge but hes strong as hell. I also dont think alot of people realize how strong Kane is on the puck. I guess most assume he is easy to knock around but thats not the case at all.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Because truly great players find a way to play through the size deficiency...

Guys like Kane, Marner, Marchand are all fantastic in the postseason despite being small.

While guys like Johnny crybaby wilt away and play Casper in the background.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Size IS a huge factor in the playoffs. It is inarguable.

Kane is a very poor choice to use as an example to argue against that as there is only on P. Kane. There is no other player like Kane. He is exceptional and will do well no matter what. 99% of NHL players are not like that.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad