With Burke's departure, will players finally be able to pick their own #'s?

Mar 26, 2010
Now that Burke and Wilson are out of the picture, will the players be able to pick their #'s. Burke had that stupid rule where he would pick it for you.

Will Kadri get his 9 or 91 now?

Or does Nonis pick the # like Burke did?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Grabs started last year with #54 if I remember. I think he already got to pick his number.

I'd love to see players move away from the 40's-50's though. Numbers were certainly something I strongly disagreed with Burke about. A fan shouldn't have to guess if a player is using a rookie number or not when looking to buy a jersey.

Burke loved classic numbers but his plan backfired with half the team wearing high numbers because of inexperience.

I'd love to see Rielly end up with #4.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I really don't get the big deal about numbers. I don't get why Burke wanted to control that and I don't get why fans care. I don't see many players that really make a big fuss about it. That being said, if I were to guess, I don't think Nonis is going to worry too much about stuff like that, so long as the number isn't up in the rafters, I guess they can wear it if they want.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Grabs started last year with #54 if I remember. I think he already got to pick his number.

I'd love to see players move away from the 40's-50's though. Numbers were certainly something I strongly disagreed with Burke about. A fan shouldn't have to guess if a player is using a rookie number or not when looking to buy a jersey.

Burke loved classic numbers but his plan backfired with half the team wearing high numbers because of inexperience.

I'd love to see Rielly end up with #4.

Grabs only wore 54 for a short time in his first year(4 years ago). He got to change his number because Burke allowed Kessel to keep 81.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I really don't get the big deal about numbers. I don't get why Burke wanted to control that and I don't get why fans care.

Hypothetically, would you buy a #43 Kadri jersey if you weren't sure he was going to keep it or go to a number of his choice? It makes no sense to have rookie numbers when considering jersey sales.

Grabs only wore 54 for a short time in his first year(4 years ago). He got to change his number because Burke allowed Kessel to keep 81.

Yeah that's it.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Burke's philosophy was that rookies had to use non-traditional numbers. I think thats a good idea. Most rookies wont stick with the team so why allow them to have a # which may belong to an incoming vet. If they prove their worth, they can change it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Burke's philosophy was that rookies had to use non-traditional numbers. I think thats a good idea. Most rookies wont stick with the team so why allow them to have a # which may belong to an incoming vet. If they prove their worth, they can change it.

I thought that it was another stupid policy.....that was not needed.

If the rookie did not stick.....it does not matter as the number would still be available.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Didn't seem to make sense when you have guys like Bozak and Kulemin sticking to their bush league numbers well into their careers...

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
I always thought Burke said players have to earn their numbers. If a veteran like Brad May or Colton Orr or... I don't know, players who aren't rookies come to the team, they get to pick their number. If a rookie comes in and earns his spot on the team, he earns the right to chose his number.

I like the idea of that. No sense of entitlement, even if it's for something as trivial as jersey numbers.

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011
Now that Burke and Wilson are out of the picture, will the players be able to pick their #'s. Burke had that stupid rule where he would pick it for you.

Will Kadri get his 9 or 91 now?

Or does Nonis pick the # like Burke did?

the stupid part is why you care...the players don't...:shakehead

JMcLeaf

Hopefully McKegg sticks with 69

QIRpS.jpg

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Had no idea that was going on.

Definitely sounds like a stupid idea. Let people use their numbers. Just a weird and pointless policy there.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Hypothetically, would you buy a #43 Kadri jersey if you weren't sure he was going to keep it or go to a number of his choice? It makes no sense to have rookie numbers when considering jersey sales.

Yeah that's it.
I wouldn't buy a Kadri sweater only because it's still not clear about his future at the club. It would nothing to do whether or not he'll stick with #43 at the club (which by the way, he has said he will).

I always thought Burke said players have to earn their numbers. If a veteran like Brad May or Colton Orr or... I don't know, players who aren't rookies come to the team, they get to pick their number. If a rookie comes in and earns his spot on the team, he earns the right to chose his number.

I like the idea of that. No sense of entitlement, even if it's for something as trivial as jersey numbers.
And by this point the player is so well known for wearing that number, he keeps it. Why the hell else would Robert Svehla wear #67 with the Leafs? (ignoring the real possibility he was just a dick).

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I wouldn't buy a Kadri sweater only because it's still not clear about his future at the club. It would nothing to do whether or not he'll stick with #43 at the club (which by the way, he has said he will).

I really only used Kadri as an example, but I'm sure there have been some reluctant to buy the jersey. I remember seeing a few #45 Coliacovo jerseys before he was allowed #8. He may have been kicked to the curb, but I don't find that fair to the guy watching him skate around in a Leafs jersey with #8 on the back. A jersey being out dated when a player switches teams is inevitable, but a jersey being out of date while he's still on the same team is something that can and should be avoided.

I don't find this any less petty than the "no hat at the draft" rule.

Our top prospects are #43, #44 and #51.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I really only used Kadri as an example, but I'm sure there have been some reluctant to buy the jersey. I remember seeing a few #45 Coliacovo jerseys before he was allowed #8. He may have been kicked to the curb, but I don't find that fair to the guy watching him skate around in a Leafs jersey with #8 on the back. A jersey being out dated when a player switches teams is inevitable, but a jersey being out of date while he's still on the same team is something that can and should be avoided.

I don't find this any less petty than the "no hat at the draft" rule.

Our top prospects are #43, #44 and #51.
I have no problem with #44 or #51. Jovanovski has worn #44 for as long as I can remember so I've just attributed it to defensemen. As for #51, I like the way it looks on the back of a sweater, so that gets a thumbs up in my book. #43 is a tad unconventional, but I have a thing for unconventional numbers as it is so I don't see it as much of an issue.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Anyone who's played organized sport knows that players care...

And anyone who has played for a storied organization knows that the team had final say on what numbers it is willing to allow any specific player to wear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad