"With big butts come great power"

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
probably because most of us "old men" already have an older women at home that we are trying to get away from.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Zing!

Somewhat back on topic, I think I've figured out a decent workout program that will hopefully improve my conditioning and strength while allowing me to actually see my family and not spend a ton of money on gym fees or equipment:

Tuesdays - P90X Legs & Back or Plyometrics video
Thursdays - P90X Chest, Shoulders & Triceps or Shoulders & Arms video
Saturdays/Sunday - play hockey per league schedule

I liked how the P90X videos kicked my ass pretty good, but doing 60-90 minutes of videos seven days a week caused a lot of schedule conflicts (full time job, hour commute, young baby at home). Meanwhile my paltry work gym has nothing of value and no room to do any serious lifts.

I'm really feeling those one-legged wall squats today...

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
see Andrei Kostitsyn, biggest ass i've ever seen in my life :laugh:

I'm sure Jagr had him beat greatly. :laugh: Jagr was a beast. I remember all they used to talk about was Jagr's butt and how he'd use his big butt to shield defenders.

Anyway, squats are the best. Love them, embrace them. Hockey power comes all from the legs, glutes and core. Your upper body (with the exception of the core) is more for looks than for power.

Ajlepisto

Dec 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Don't forget, in training there are two types of explosive strength. Plyometrics, kinda what basketball and football players use for quick explosion, and then actual power and strength.

Two very different ways to train. IE - olympic dead lifters have huge vertical leaps but don't train plyometrically, and just work on power and strength, where as, someone who doesn't want to bulk but wants to develop quick twitch muscle fibers would focus on footwork and quick jumping drills.

You need to decide which one works for you and then you can get great results. I added about 6 inches to my vertical doing some jump training and basic leg exercises, which translated also into a much faster burst on the ice.

Ajlepisto

Dec 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I'm sure Jagr had him beat greatly. :laugh: Jagr was a beast. I remember all they used to talk about was Jagr's butt and how he'd use his big butt to shield defenders.

Anyway, squats are the best. Love them, embrace them. Hockey power comes all from the legs, glutes and core. Your upper body (with the exception of the core) is more for looks than for power.

Don't forget, strong biceps and shoulders actually help a lot with power if you use a full stride. The body works like a chain, everything working together at full power gives you a huge advantage.

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
Heard a very interesting comment this week from Olympic hockey that would appropriately fall under this comment. Not sure who the player was that said this, but it was said this week regarding Jagr - 'that guy has the biggest butt I've ever seen and because of that he's always been one of the toughest guys to knock off the puck'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad