"With big butts come great power"

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
On the topic of training for hockey, this was a quote said to me by a local coach as a guide in your training. His theory is that remembering this quote should guide your training because skating and leg power are generated from having strong gluteal muscles. Squats and sprints, were the thing mentioned as the best way to achieve this.

elriz

Nov 21, 2008
squats are great, but only if you have effective skating posture and leg extension first.

CuteHockeyBunny

May 25, 2009
Montreal
Squats and Lunges are excellent ways to develop the gluteal muscles however, doing them is not a necessity. A lot of hockey players develop massive ***** (butts) due to all the skating.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Elliptical is a great machine for building cardio, getting that proper leg extension, and forming a nice ass.

I always thought that the elliptical would be a terrible machine to use, as it doesn't really let you move that quickly.

My sis wants to get rid of our treadmill and grab one of those. I've been rooting for a spinning cycle.

I used to love running a few years ago, but nowadays two miles earns me two weeks of knee pain :rant:

thedoc1019

Nov 16, 2009
Florida
well if a big butt makes you fast I should be the fastest guy on the ice.

ohhh that made me laugh :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but on the subject my mom got this thing called a kettlebell and I've been using it with squats and I notice a total difference in my speed.I am being completely honest by the way.But that might not be the only reason that is happening because some of the other exercises I do with it, I use my lower body most of the time.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
put a milk crate on the ground. stand next to it. jump sideways over it with your feet close together.repeat for like a minute. you can start holding weights in your hand after it gets too easy. (i was jumping with 20 lbs in each hand when i was in shape) you will have explosive speed.

Turboflex*

I always thought that the elliptical would be a terrible machine to use, as it doesn't really let you move that quickly.

Why do you need to move quickly? Crank up the difficulty level and rip into it at a high resistance level, better work out for your muscles than moving faster at low resistance.

I like to do interval on it, go hard for 1 min-1:30 min, then low resistance for same amount to rest up a bit. Simulates a hockey shift.

sensfan83*

Skating in hockey is more quads than glutes... although glutes still are very important for getting full hip extension in your stride.

Sprinting: glutes/hams

Skating: glutes/quads

I wouldn't do ground sprints >50m for developing hockey speed because at that point sprinting becomes mostly glutes/hams.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
ohhh that made me laugh :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but on the subject my mom got this thing called a kettlebell and I've been using it with squats and I notice a total difference in my speed.I am being completely honest by the way.But that might not be the only reason that is happening because some of the other exercises I do with it, I use my lower body most of the time.

go to dragondoor.com
you will find all kinds of things to do with kettlebells that will help with strengh and speed.
Trust me it will change you

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
sir-mixalot.jpg

Sir Mixalot approves of this thread.

BadHammy*

Lower back is also very critical. Proper posture and forward bend helps a lot.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Don't be a puss, don't listen to pusses, do your squats and then clean, snatch and deadlift.

As far as the elliptical, it's the most useless piece of **** machine in existence when it comes to hockey. NOTHING can be gained on it that wouldn't be with time spent doing a vast number of other, better exercises.

Kettlebells are cool, you can do lots of explosive stuff with them. That said, you can improve your explosive power exponentially by doing olympic lifting, not too mention you'll see a direct impact on your squat and deadlift strength.

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
Don't be a puss, don't listen to pusses, do your squats and then clean, snatch and deadlift.

As far as the elliptical, it's the most useless piece of **** machine in existence when it comes to hockey. NOTHING can be gained on it that wouldn't be with time spent doing a vast number of other, better exercises.

Kettlebells are cool, you can do lots of explosive stuff with them. That said, you can improve your explosive power exponentially by doing olympic lifting, not too mention you'll see a direct impact on your squat and deadlift strength.

What exactly do you mean by 'olympic lifting'?

Any good recommendations for places to get some kettlebells? I've not really seen them around much.

thedoc1019

Nov 16, 2009
Florida
this is what my mom got:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3554997&CAWELAID=337388559

I'm only 15 and about 5'11 and it works great for me.I use all 20lbs and it really gets you sweating and it get your heart going.If you need a bigger one, they sell one that goes up to 40lbs but its $100 extra dollars.By the way the weights on it or removable, so say 20lbs is too much you can take some weights off and do 15lbs

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
The only weight training i do now is lifting the weight of the beer bottle to my lips after a game. I do hit the stationary bike every now and again and i do endurance training with free weights in the summer. At this point, hockey itself gives me all the exercise i need/want.

DISCLAIMER--- In no way am i saying that working out is not good and you should not do it.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I'm thankful that while being over 40 years old I have a good muscle toned butt from playing hockey.

It's the little things in life I tells ya. I wish women over 40 played hockey because their backside more often than not looks broken from a lack of doing anything.

1dude

Aug 26, 2008
California
I'm thankful that while being over 40 years old I have a good muscle toned butt from playing hockey.

It's the little things in life I tells ya. I wish women over 40 played hockey because their backside more often than not looks broken from a lack of doing anything.

damn women over forty...we need some hockey cougars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad