Wireless headphones discussion

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
With the world moving towards wireless headphones, it's pretty impressive how far the quality has come. I remember the old bluetooth wireless headphones and how they'd consistently cut out on music, have awful range, and awful battery life.

With that said, I've been trying to find the perfect pair for a while, now. I think I found it in earbuds. I have a set of both Jaybird X2s and also a set of Bose Soundsport Wireless. The Bose, I think, are the best wireless earbuds I have ever used. The fit and finish is superb. They had some issues with the early batch being as waterproof as it was supposed to be, but Bose issued everyone who wanted an exchange plus a free pair of Soundsport wired headphones to keep as a replacement for the down time. The Jaybirds are pretty solid, too, but the difference is that the Bose don't have anything that actually sticks into your ears.

Onto over the ear and on ears. I have now had a pair of Beats Studio 2 Wireless and Beats Solo 3 Wireless. The Studio 2s had really nice sound and felt really good. But they were really huge and just felt like they were missing something. The Solo 3s have the new Apple W1 chip (which is really cool), so they had amazing, amazing battery life. 40 hours. The problem is that on ear headphones just never fit me well. I'd get some ear pain after 20 minutes or so of wearing them. So I just returned them today to Best Buy.

In their place I was deciding between the Bose QC 35s and the new Sony 1000X headphones. I ended up going with the 1000X for a few reasons. First, the build quality just feels better. The Bose feel very plastic-y and just do not feel solid. The Sony headphones are a bit heavier, use some faux leather, and some metal where the Bose are pure plastic. The Sony headphones also have some really cool touch features on the right ear cup. Instead of of physical buttons to change tracks and volume, you use swipes and motion. The other really cool feature is being able to cup the right ear cup and have it mute your music and filter in voice so you can chat with someone without taking the headphones off. Both headphones seem to fit really well and both were very comfortable.

Not sure I won't end up returning the 1000Xs for the QC 35s (30 day return policy with Best Buy), but I am going to give them a shot right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-10...ling-headphones-black/5581069.p?skuId=5581069

These are them ^^

What is everyone else's thoughts on the newer wireless headphones out there? Any experience with the QC 35s?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I think wireless is fine for convenience, but the quality still isn't up to par to most wired, and there's still a premium for it, and I use a pair every day at work.

I would never spend money on Beats though, I could get some Sennheiser 650s for about the same price...at least Bose has class-leading ANC for what they charge.

I did demo the QC35 today at BB (paired them with my phone and played some tracks off GPM), and holy crap, the ANC was amazing...but since I don't have $350 to blow on more headphones and headphone accessories ATM, they could be for another time - so much better than my Sony's ANC (but also $200 more in price).

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Apple sent me a free pair of Beats Solo2 wireless headphones because my laptop arrived later than they said it would.

They aren't bad, really convenient to not have a cord but the quality sort of lacks sometimes. I definitely wouldn't have paid $250+ for these though.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Spent $25 on some wireless ones on Amazon. I think the brand is Mpow.

Very good sound quality and durable so far. Only thing I dislike about it is that I have to shove these squishy things in my ear. They can fall off easily if you don't put them in 'properly'.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
The quality is fine. Only audio nerds will notice a difference.

Beats are the best on the market ainec. They look awesome too.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I had JBL E40BT headphones for two years.

Nothing bad to say about these headphones, highly recommend.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I generally prefer the neckband style bluetooth. Those have developed to the point where you can get a decent quality pair that will last you 10-12 hours contintuous with decent quality audio, for about 10-15 bucks. 30 bucks if you're unlucky. Much easier to get a decent quality pair for cheap.

I have a pair of monster clarity bluetooth headphones that last 20 hours with much better quality audio but I just never use them. I can't even think of a time I would use them. Too bulky and when you take them off they're an easy target to get stolen.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I have the wireless Beats Solo 3 currently, also had the beats earbuds wireless for a few years. I get sick of losing the rubber pieces and they often fall out of my ears.

I wanted something over ear that sounded better than ear buds, actually get some bass. I tried a couple beats knock offs from Amazon and they both sucked, I returned them within 20 days and spent the $199.00. The Beats 3 sound great, are fairly light and fold up nicely in to a small package. Also hold a charge for a long time and the leather used for the ears is soft as can be. Obviously easy to pair with an iPhone. I use them for bike rides, the gym and plane rides. Volume and skip back/forward controls are easy to use because they are big on the air piece.

I'm sure there are comparable models that are a bit cheaper but I love them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wired is always worth it. No reason to pay for a receiver, DAC, amplifier, and battery pack just to be in your headphone. Let alone the inconvenience of having to charge your headphones.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Wired is always worth it. No reason to pay for a receiver, DAC, amplifier, and battery pack just to be in your headphone. Let alone the inconvenience of having to charge your headphones.

BT headphones/earbuds have a DAC, built-in amp, and use their own battery.

I bought a pair of Totu earbuds from Amazon a couple months ago for ~$14, can't complain too much in all honesty...are they as good as my home setup (DAC, tube amp, Beyers), no, but for portable use, they're about the same as my Panasonic wired buds in terms of sound. I've read that they're good for about 5-6 hours, but I've never worn them that long.

Only complaint I have with them, is the range, as I'll sometimes use them with my laptop, they'll start to lose signal a few feet away, and if there's a wall in the way...

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Charging your headphones is easy. The problem I have with wired is for physical activity or sudden movements clip the cord and send your phone flying.

Not to mention they just get caught up sometimes.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
BT headphones/earbuds have a DAC, built-in amp, and use their own battery.

That's my point. A wireless headphone has to have all those components integrated. Wired headphones do not. That both means wired headphones' quality isn't limited by having mobile-sized (and weighted) DACs and amps like wireless headphones, AND that wired headphones of similar quality will be substantially cheaper.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That's my point. A wireless headphone has to have all those components integrated. Wired headphones do not. That both means wired headphones' quality isn't limited by having mobile-sized (and weighted) DACs and amps like wireless headphones, AND that wired headphones of similar quality will be substantially cheaper.
Are they really? I bought a pair of Sennheiser 598Cs and they're almost indistiguishable (and arguably worse because of the poor bass) from my Monster Clarity HDs which have a 20 hour battery and an aux jack.

Imo you need to really be an audiophile to notice any difference if there even is one.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Are they really? I bought a pair of Sennheiser 598Cs and they're almost indistiguishable (and arguably worse because of the poor bass) from my Monster Clarity HDs which have a 20 hour battery and an aux jack.

Imo you need to really be an audiophile to notice any difference if there even is one.

If you're saying you cannot distinguish your open cup over-the-head cans from your inner ear headphones, you're not the type of audio consumer I'm concerned with. Regardless of part quality or wireless features, the physical construction of those two very different styles of headphone result in very different sound profiles.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If you're saying you cannot distinguish your open cup over-the-head cans from your inner ear headphones, you're not the type of audio consumer I'm concerned with. Regardless of part quality or wireless features, the physical construction of those two very different styles of headphone result in very different sound profiles.
They're not inner ear headphones. I'm guessing you looked it up on amazon. They're not sold there.

These are the ones I have

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...phones-black-mh-cly-on-bk-bt-ww/10438043.aspx

The 598 Cs are generally $100 more expensive (though thats a completely fake price they're pretty much "on sale" year round) and the sound quality is identical with much less bass. Honestly Sennheiser is the most overrated brand there is. Sometimes I wonder if theres astroturfing going on when I see people online pumping their tires and trashing beats or other big marketing brands as for the ignorant.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad