Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I wonder if Arsenal will finally be able to get rid of some of the deadwood this window. Feels like many a player has been at the club too long.

I'm also curious to see what the club does with Saliba. Rumours are he will join St Etiene for the rest of the year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pepe rumored to be ousted. Saliba will leave the club, either on loan or direct sale. Hoping for the later, he has nothing to prove at St Etienne.
He needs to move to a big club with a coach that knows his qualities.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apparently, he's gone the minute someone proposes a good amount of money. Question is how much people will want to give Arsenal.
After the Guendouzi fiasco, it seems Arteta and Arsenal are on a roll when it comes to getting rid of players. Sending all the wrong signals.
Queue the "we made up our differences and are looking to work together down the road" press conference, while trying to unload him at all cost beind closed doors.

Lots of teams should be on this guy. He's tremendously talented, can dribble past anyone. He never got into a groove with Arsenal, but then again, nobody has. And Arteta continues to play useless Willian over him, regardless of the situation and the opponent.

Reactions: robertmac43

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pepe hasn’t bathed himself in glory makes sense that Arsenal would want to cut their losses. Maybe another team can get more out of him but it isn’t working out in Arsenal.

Reactions: Blender

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol, exactly who is working out ar Arsenal? Like for over a year? Auba? Nope, massive bust. Laca? Nope, massive bust. Saliba? Heck, he's not even registered.

People should start to realize a player's talent and abilities are sometimes, positively and negatively, affected by the team play. Just like Lemar isn't suddenly shit with Atletico. Or Griezmann with Barca. Or Pogba with United (just using french examples because these guys perform highly for France, see Pogba's game against Portugal which absolutely amazing). When a player is wrongly used or when his team is underperforming, sometimes, it's not his sole responsibility.

I think Pepe is the only Arsenal player that managed to dribble past opponents this year. :D

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lol, exactly who is working out ar Arsenal? Like for over a year? Auba? Nope, massive bust. Laca? Nope, massive bust. Saliba? Heck, he's not even registered.

People should start to realize a player's talent and abilities are sometimes, positively and negatively, affected by the team play. Just like Lemar isn't suddenly shit with Atletico. Or Griezmann with Barca. Or Pogba with United (just using french examples because these guys perform highly for France, see Pogba's game against Portugal which absolutely amazing). When a player is wrongly used or when his team is underperforming, sometimes, it's not his sole responsibility.

I think Pepe is the only Arsenal player that managed to dribble past opponents this year. :D
Who said Pepe was "shit"? He's been a massive bust at Arsenal, that's a fact. It's not even that he's so bad he shouldn't be playing either, because he should be, it's that relative to the fee paid he's nowhere near good enough. He's one of their few core players that has been really underwhelming relative to reasonable expectations under both Emery and Arteta.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I imagine we'll have a fairly quiet window re big signings with the effects of Covid still being felt.

Maybe we get some transfers agree upon in this window that don't finalize till summer ala Keita, Pulisic, etc.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Apparently the French need a bit more TLC than most others. Ndombele being another example.

I would agree with the point - being a good manager and running a club well also is a matter of making players feel comfortable. And when the whole club is underperforming it might not be right to look at individual players. Even if you are looking for some leadership when you have paid huge amounts of money - but that is on the club(s) and not the player(s).

Are there any clubs with any cash at the moment?

Someone like Alli would obviously be available.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Pepe has shown glimpses, but glimpses don't cut it when you came in at a price over 70 million... Auba has carried the teams at times but since scoring the big ticket contract he has checked out.

Really the only non busts are Tierney, Gabriel, Leno, and Partey (in his 2 games of sample size).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Apparently the French need a bit more TLC than most others. Ndombele being another example.

I would agree with the point - being a good manager and running a club well also is a matter of making players feel comfortable. And when the whole club is underperforming it might not be right to look at individual players. Even if you are looking for some leadership when you have paid huge amounts of money - but that is on the club(s) and not the player(s).

Are there any clubs with any cash at the moment?

Someone like Alli would obviously be available.
I wouldn't call that a rule, plenty of players have come over the L1 and been good right away, and plenty have not. It's based on the individual and their fit more than anything I think.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Who said Pepe was "shit"? He's been a massive bust at Arsenal, that's a fact. It's not even that he's so bad he shouldn't be playing either, because he should be, it's that relative to the fee paid he's nowhere near good enough. He's one of their few core players that has been really underwhelming relative to reasonable expectations under both Emery and Arteta.
One of the few?
EVERY single Arsenal player is underwhelming.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wouldn't call that a rule, plenty of players have come over the L1 and been good right away, and plenty have not. It's based on the individual and their fit more than anything I think.
And the way the coach pulls for the signing. Arteta wants nothing of Emery's signings. Including the best CB prospect in the world.

Reactions: AB13

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
One of the few?
EVERY single Arsenal player is underwhelming.
I disagree, most of their players are grossly overrated by the Arsenal fans on this forum. More of them are underwhelming this year than last though, that's for sure.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

A bit tongue in cheek.

I do believe there are quite a few high profiled French players not living up to their potential at the moment though (as listed in this thread). Could obviously be completely random.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I disagree, most of their players are grossly overrated by the Arsenal fans on this forum. More of them are underwhelming this year than last though, that's for sure.
Which ones are 'grossly overrated'? Maybe 6 months ago some were over excited, but the mood this season has been somber and realistic.

Reactions: AB13

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Which ones are 'grossly overrated'? Maybe 6 months ago some were over excited, but the mood this season has been somber and realistic.
Before this season and last season the usual suspects always claim Arsenal has a top 4/6 quality squad. It was just last week there was a post saying that about half of Arsenal's squad is better than Chelsea. Before this season and last there were posts saying almost all of Arsenal's squad is better than Leicester's. I wouldn't call that "somber and realistic" when there is serious denial about the quality of the squad and instead all the blame is on the manager.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If anyone says Arsenal doesn't have close to a top 6 quality squad they are ignorant and lack an understanding of the sport. Put a manager with competence and experience at Arsenal and they do well. Leicester don´t have a particularly good squad, they have a top class manager that makes players play better than they usually would. There is a difference. Not outrageous to say Arsenal have a better squad than Leicester. Arsenal have one of the worst managers in Premier League history, and that is not an exaggeration.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If anyone says Arsenal doesn't have close to a top 6 quality squad they are ignorant and lack an understanding of the sport. Put a manager with competence and experience at Arsenal and they do well. Leicester don´t have a particularly good squad, they have a top class manager that makes players play better than they usually would. There is a difference.
:laugh:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If anyone says Arsenal doesn't have close to a top 6 quality squad they are ignorant and lack an understanding of the sport. Put a manager with competence and experience at Arsenal and they do well

What do you defines as competence and experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad