Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part III - Ronaldout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Portuguese and Colombian media almost unanimously claiming that Liverpool signed Luis Diaz.
Will believe it when I see it. File it away with the Dybala smoke.

um so this isn’t nothing…

not quite believing it yet, but maybe conceptualizing?

Oh my.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think this means Salah gets a new deal and they let Firmino and/or Mane leave.
I think they can more or less finance this with Phillips, Minamino and Origi going out if it’s 37.5m and bonuses.

Alphabetically

Diaz/Mane on left. Diogo/Firmino in the middle. Salah on the right.

And they you have guys like Chamberlain, Gordon, etc that can fill in on the right. Maybe Elliott if he isn’t in the midfielder.

I’m very much in the sell Mane, bench Bobby, extend Salah camp for the record. Can only look at this season for now though. Let Julian Ward figure it out in the summer.

I still think they desperately need another box to box midfielder (although they probably play the Elliott is like a new signing card) but hard to complain about adding Diaz

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have no view on Diaz. Not sure if I have seen him play. If I have I didn’t notice him. Probably better than what Spurs got as their 3. forward, but spending up to 60m for a player in a role you got depth would be insane - considering the holes Spurs got elsewhere.

It is also a bit odd to me that Liverpool would spend that much on a winger. Mane out long?

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have no view on Diaz. Not sure if I have seen him play. If I have I didn’t notice him. Probably better than what Spurs got as their 3. forward, but spending up to 60m for a player in a role you got depth would be insane - consider the holes Spurs got elsewhere.

It is also a bit odd to me that Liverpool would spend that much on a winger. Mane out long?

Mane’s contract is up in July 2023. Planning ahead for once.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I have no view on Diaz. Not sure if I have seen him play. If I have I didn’t notice him. Probably better than what Spurs got as their 3. forward, but spending up to 60m for a player in a role you got depth would be insane - consider the holes Spurs got elsewhere.

Liverpool played against him in I believe three out of the last four years in the Champions League. They will be very familiar with him. Was best player at the Copa America over the summer as well.

Mane might go but this could also mean Diogo Jota is staying central. There’s certainly room for him on the bench over a guy like Minamino if he adjusts better than Takumi did.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only other time I saw Diaz play for Porto was when he scored against City. So just the games Liverpool played against him and that one. Can't really judge from that. However I have seen him play great for Colombia quite a bit and my honest opinion was that I didn't understand why he was still playing at Porto.

Dunno how he'll fit into the team but he doesn't play the right side ever, so I'm sure he still won't. Just glad we didn't do something stupid like sign f***ing Traore.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The only other time I saw Diaz play for Porto was when he scored against City. So just the games Liverpool played against him and that one. Can't really judge from that. However I have seen him play great for Colombia quite a bit and my honest opinion was that I didn't understand why he was still playing at Porto.

Dunno how he'll fit into the team but he doesn't play the right side ever, so I'm sure he still won't. Just glad we didn't do something stupid like sign f***ing Traore.
It’s a pleasant surprise that we might be signing someone for sure. Diaz reminds me a bit of a left sided Raphinha, but becoming very obvious Raphinha is going to cost at least twice what Diaz is going for

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It’s a pleasant surprise that we might be signing someone for sure. Diaz reminds me a bit of a left sided Raphinha, but becoming very obvious Raphinha is going to cost at least twice what Diaz is going for

The surprise part is signing someone for a high price from outside the big five leagues. After Markovic bombed that isn't something Liverpool does.

They were going to replace Mane soon so I'm not necessarily surprised by that. Maybe the timing of it, but it was going to happen this summer anyway. Sounds like there was good reason to not wait until then as it sounds like Spurs made a good offer.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I sure hope Spurs didn't put all their chips on Diaz. I'll be frustrated if the club was ready to spend such an amount, to ultimately not spend the money at all this window. It's a perfect time to invest in the squad and make their way back into the CL.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The surprise part is signing someone for a high price from outside the big five leagues. After Markovic bombed that isn't something Liverpool does.

They were going to replace Mane soon so I'm not necessarily surprised by that. Maybe the timing of it, but it was going to happen this summer anyway. Sounds like there was good reason to not wait until then as it sounds like Spurs made a good offer.
I think there is a lot difference between Diaz and Markovic.

Diaz is in that 24-26 year old age range of where we have had a lot of success with our signings. Markovic was a teenager.

Diaz had a much better international pedrigree

This is a player who LFC is very familiar with after a lot of matches against Porto, as well as LFC having a lot of contacts at Porto via Matos and Dutch Pep. LFC likely have a good idea what they are getting here.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Diaz is also the best player in the Portuguese league this season. If he has half the impact Bruno has had for United Liverpool are going to be happy.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs should just use that Diaz money to try and gazump Newcastle's Guimaraes bid.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Liverpool played against him in I believe three out of the last four years in the Champions League. They will be very familiar with him. Was best player at the Copa America over the summer as well.

Mane might go but this could also mean Diogo Jota is staying central. There’s certainly room for him on the bench over a guy like Minamino if he adjusts better than Takumi did.
I’m sorry what? Lmao

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They’ve been looking at him. I think he was an option this summer, but when they found out Spurs might get it across the line, they moved.

I’m shocked they’re spending money.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arteta went to Colorado to ask "can you buy me Isak" and Kroenke said "buddy, you can't even have Arthur on loan". We really are signing no one aren’t we

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m not trying to defend that statement, but he was good at the Copa.

I could care less. He looks decent and he’s not Traore.
That's exactly what you were trying to do... half his goals came in a meaningless game.

I would hope so since he costs about 100 times more than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad