Winter Classics

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
There's nothing that I enjoy more than watching an outdoor game. Montreal had a few outdoor games, but what about a Winter Classics game on New Years Day? Montreal never played an outdoor game on New Years Day.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I find them boring .... bad camera angles... usually bad weather makes the game almost unplayable.. To be honest I was more impressed with the game in LA last year then the one at the Big House or Yankee Stadium

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I personally hate them. It is such an American thing to make a huge deal out of a ****** spectacle to sell more tickets. Boring boring boring. The only positive aspect is the TV show which is cool.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
There's no venue in Montreal, the idea is to leverage the novelty into selling out a huge football or baseball stadium (40,000+ capacity) at premium prices. Both Molson & Saputo stadiums are small.

Oct 22, 2012
Ever new years is the same thing. Extremely hungover, flipping through channels, "Oh yeah the winter classic", continue to flip through channels.

Why not have 30 teams play that day, but call it heritage day or do it over a couple days and call it heritage weekend and have all teams wear throwbacks. That would be curr-azy.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I agree with those that say that they're boring to watch on TV. I've been to two of them (Edmonton and Calgary). Seeing those games live, were two of the best (hockey related) experiences I've ever had. I'd love to see an outdoor game in Montreal.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I hate them

The Montreal- Edmonton game was very cool, but other than that, I despite the Winter Classic

Overly promoted outdoor games played in giant stadiums, with the fans sitting 2 galaxies away from the ice

No thanks

Saintpatrick*

Having the same few teams in multiple Winter Classics has made it rather dull. I'd love to see the best rivalry in hockey Habs vs Bruins in one.

wakawakawaka

Nov 15, 2014
I hate them

The Montreal- Edmonton game was very cool, but other than that, I despite the Winter Classic

Overly promoted outdoor games played in giant stadiums, with the fans sitting 2 galaxies away from the ice

No thanks

isnt that a problem with alot of sports being played in large stadiums, even soccer? I mean in alot of soccer arenas there is a massive track seperating the field from the seats, so i dont see begin seated "galaxies" away from the ice in a winter classic to be too much of a problem

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
isnt that a problem with alot of sports being played in large stadiums, even soccer? I mean in alot of soccer arenas there is a massive track seperating the field from the seats, so i dont see begin seated "galaxies" away from the ice in a winter classic to be too much of a problem

most soccer fields don't have this huge "track" you're talking about

StadeSaputo_MTLvCLB_620x350.jpg

The problem though.. is that the ice rink is smaller than the actual soccer/football field. So while people are sitting close to the game in soccer/football, they will be seating much further away from a hockey game.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
There's no venue in Montreal, the idea is to leverage the novelty into selling out a huge football or baseball stadium (40,000+ capacity) at premium prices. Both Molson & Saputo stadiums are small.

We have the Olympic Stadium that has 66,308 of capacity, all we have to do is take out the Roof and VOILA!

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
most soccer fields don't have this huge "track" you're talking about

StadeSaputo_MTLvCLB_620x350.jpg

The problem though.. is that the ice rink is smaller than the actual soccer/football field. So while people are sitting close to the game in soccer/football, they will be seating much further away from a hockey game.
And even in stadiums that have a track, the distance between the seats and the ground is not that far

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I hate how it's suddenly "cool" to hate the Winter Classic among snobby hockey fans now. It's a fun event, and exciting to watch, even if the hockey isn't in perfect conditions like indoors. Get over yourselves.

I watch it every New Years Day if I can. It's an awesome event, and I really hope the Habs can take part in one soon.

Saintpatrick*

We have the Olympic Stadium that has 66,308 of capacity, all we have to do is take out the Roof and VOILA!

Every time they mess with that damned roof it seems to cost the city a couple million dollars :laugh:

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
I was at the Heritage Classic in like -20 against the Flames here in Calgary a few years back. My first Habs game. Froze my ass off to watch us lose 4-0. :shakehead

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Was at the 1st one in Edmonton and count it as one of my favourite events ever - even if baguettes may have been frozen off - but the novelty has worn off

I don't hate them but think the last one I watched was when Crosby got blindsided, as stated earlier generally it's pretty crappy hockey

As for New Years games I used to love the NYE Habs/Flames games when I lived in Cgy, too bad they stopped doing them

wakawakawaka

Nov 15, 2014
Was at the 1st one in Edmonton and count it as one of my favourite events ever - even if baguettes may have been frozen off - but the novelty has worn off

I don't hate them but think the last one I watched was when Crosby got blindsided, as stated earlier generally it's pretty crappy hockey

As for New Years games I used to love the NYE Habs/Flames games when I lived in Cgy, too bad they stopped doing them

well the 2014 was pretty fun, but yeah i think the NHL does them a bit too often

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad