Winter Classic at Notre Dame

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hopefully the hawks suck balls this year like last and if they keep Q around that will certainly be the case and then perhaps finally the NHL will be forced to by-pass the hawks in the outdoor games for a a few years.

the nhl has taken a novelty, a good one at that and ruined it be having outdoor games take place too often but all Gary cares about is $$$ so it will continue

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Greetings from the Bruins board.

We have a thread on it and frankly the logistics of getting to South Bend from New England are not great especially with the game being on a Tuesday.

2019 Winter Classic Bruins /Hawks at Notre Dame - travel & tix talk

Bruins have been in 2 outdoor games, both at home - Fenway Park was special, Foxborough not so much.

I lived in Chicago twice for a total of 7 years and I think I know the market. McCub obviously sold the NHL that he could sellout the venue :dunno:

Driving from Boston to South Bend is a challenge and the best route to avoid lake effect snow is through Ontario.

upload_2018-8-29_3-58-37.png

Amtrak offers direct service but it is 21 hours each way.

Flying means either Detroit or Chicago and renting a car or connecting in either Detroit or Newark.

:dunno:

This isn't going to sell out is my bold prediction.

Blackhawks fans seem to be waiting to see if the team looks better this year and outdoor games are not a novelty for them, South Bend is 900 miles from Boston and has no direct air service. The venue is the second largest the NHL has ever used for an outdoor game. A sellout is very unlikely and they could be looking at 30,000 empty seats or more.

The timezone change from Chicago is something the NHL suits in New York didn't think through as when the clock strikes Midnight on New Year's Eve in the Central Time Zone, the game starts 12 hours later. The drive itself is like driving from Manhattan to New Haven on I-95 except there are no alternate parkways - you have to take the Indiana Toll Road.

The X factor is weather concerns - Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana can be like Buffalo with lake effect snow.

This could be an epic disaster for the NHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I lived in Chicago twice for a total of 7 years and I think I know the market. McCub obviously sold the NHL that he could sellout the venue :dunno:

Driving from Boston to South Bend is a challenge and the best route to avoid lake effect snow is through Ontario.

View attachment 136727

Amtrak offers direct service but it is 21 hours each way.

Flying means either Detroit or Chicago and renting a car or connecting in either Detroit or Newark.

:dunno:

Blackhawks fans seem to be waiting to see if the team looks better this year and outdoor games are not a novelty for them, South Bend is 900 miles from Boston and has no direct air service. The venue is the second largest the NHL has ever used for an outdoor game. A sellout is very unlikely and they could be looking at 30,000 empty seats or more.

The timezone change from Chicago is something the NHL suits in New York didn't think through as when the clock strikes Midnight on New Year's Eve in the Central Time Zone, the game starts 12 hours later. The drive itself is like driving from Manhattan to New Haven on I-95 except there are no alternate parkways - you have to take the Indiana Toll Road.

The X factor is weather concerns - Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana can be like Buffalo with lake effect snow.

This could be an epic disaster for the NHL.
Yeah, not sure driving down Highway 402 in Ontario is going to be any better when it comes to lake effect snow. That highway is constantly shut down because of snow drifting.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, this has bad idea written all over it. I'm not sure I'd go if offered free tickets. I've done the outdoor game thing and it was a fun novelty.

It feels like the Hawks should be out of these outdoor game for the next 4 or 5 years at least. This is beyond overkill.

It feels like the Hawks civic duty to the league at this point. Every year it's the same...

-lame/underwhelming jerseys (2009 not withstanding)
-Hawks get their asses kicked
-the novelty wears off even more as it's yet ANOTHER year we're in it

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Yeah don’t have much interest in driving to Indiana to watch a subpar team play outdoors in January. That would also mean I have to spend New Years in freakin Indiana and who wants to do that?

Don’t think this one was thought out very well. If it was in Chicago, they could have at least gotten people to grab last minute tickets if they’re cheap.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Maybe they were counting on the college students filling it up? Only problem is....aren't most home for Christmas break???

This is likely going to be a total flop. Way too many issues with the time and location.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
What blows me away about these things is the cost of the tickets. Pretty obvious that this is just a big cash grab. Why people are paying a premium to watch the game in the freezing cold from shitty sight lines is beyond me anyway.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
No offense, but it took you this long to realize that NHL outdoor games were anything other than cash grabs? That's the way they've always been, it's just the novelty wore off almost a decade ago.

If the novelty wore off a decade ago how come they are still going on? Clearly they won't stop until the NHL takes a financial hit and the ratings suck. Personally I think the ratings will always be okay because it is New Years day and the general public is hungover and just want to crash on the couch and watch TV. The real key to ending these things is to have a horrible turn out.

All I can say is I won't be there. Went to the Wrigley game. Paid by dues. Never again.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Maybe they were counting on the college students filling it up? Only problem is....aren't most home for Christmas break???

This is likely going to be a total flop. Way too many issues with the time and location.

College students might not fill it up - especially those on a budget. But I've always thought of Notre Dame has having one of the more loyal groups of alumni - I'd think selling to groups of alumni for a mini-reunion centered partly around the Winter Classic might work.

Note that I said "might" - yes, there are South Bend logistical problems, but I'm sure Notre Dame alumni know all about them, and are somewhat used to them if they go back for football games and/or reunions. Of course, team quality is an issue, and some folks may be waiting a month or two to see if the teams are worth it - and that's true for both Blackhawks fans and Bruins fans. And, there's the issue of "here we go again" - as a Bruins fan, I'm already over being part of the Winter Classic this year. I can't even begin to imagine how Hawks fans feel about it.

Personally, I got my tickets early as a Bruins STH, and managed to finagle a rare return because, after two weeks, they still hadn't fixed the issues they had with the NHL Ticket Exchange. Never been happier with a non-purchase.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Might actually have to get one of those jerseys. On a different note I wish we would make the 09 classic jerseys our thirds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad