Winter 2017 individual prospect rankings

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've actually half-wondered the same thing myself before with his music stuff and other things. I don't go browsing his social media, but he's quite eclectic as a person. And being academically ineligible bothered me because it's not hard to get by academically as an athlete. Go to the CHL if you don't want to do school work.

No athlete in Philly is as eclectic as Connor Barwin, and he's had a solid career.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thinking about it in my head, sorting out Laberge, Allison, Vorobyov, Friedman is probably the toughest part. I could make a case for any of them being above another. I'll just lump them as Vorobergesonman.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Thinking about it in my head, sorting out Laberge, Allison, Vorobyov, Friedman is probably the toughest part. I could make a case for any of them being above another. I'll just lump them as Vorobergesonman.

It really is. The bottom 5 of the top ten list are basically all interchangeable. It's a nice problem to have.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
1 sanheim
2 Myers
3 lindblom
4 Morin
5 rubtsov
6 Allison
7 laberge
8 vorobyov
9 kase
10 laczynski

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Agreed 6-12 could be interchangeable...exciting to think the top 10 all have a good Chance of making the NHL...

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
1-4 could be interchangeable too. Just each has a certain attribute that if they reach their full potential, they will be monsters in their own way

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I don't think there will be a lack of talent on the phantoms team for quite a long time with the quality and quantity of our prospect poll...

towe

Feb 15, 2012
1 Sanheim
2 Myers
3 Lindblom
4 Morin
5 Rubtsov
6 Allison
7 Laberge
8 Vorobyov
9 Laczynski
10 Leier

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
1 - Sanheim
2 - Myers
3 - Lindblom
4 - Rubstov
5 - Morin
6 - Vorobyov
7 - Laberge
8 - Allison
9 - Hagg
10 - Leier

1 - Stolarz
2 - Sandstrom
3 - Hart
4 - Lyon
5 - Madsen

This list is probably the closest to what I would think. I would replace Laberge, bump others up and add Friedman at #10. Given Hextall's comments on Hagg, I think many people have him too low. I would have Morin over Rubstov though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Couldn't agree more with a lot of the discussion here. It's exactly why I prefer to rank in tiers for lists of this nature.

1. Sanheim -- I still see his upside as being a different animal, albeit less likely to hit it than some others.

2. Myers -- Injury concerns and how he'll adapt to having some of the aggressives coached out of him (unfortunately) keep me from considering going up a tier.
3. Morin -- Mostly above Lindblom on positional value.
4. Lindblom

5. Rubtsov

6. Vorobyov -- I value a strong 3C highly.
7. Friedman -- I continue to love this kid and positional value pushes him up a bit. I only got to see him in person once this year, but there was plenty I could point to in his development. He's absolutely, positively not Gostisbehere, though. Quell those thoughts.
8. Allison
9. Laberge -- I want to put him higher, but I just can't.

10. Aube-Kubel
11. Laczynski
12. Kase

13. Leier -- This is where likelihood of being an NHLer without much upside kicks in for me.
14. Fazleev

15. Hogberg
16. Bernhardt
17. Bunnaman
19. Hagg -- I really, really do not see what he does well. To borrow a football draft Twitter term, "Where does he win?"
20. Bardreau

1. Stolarz

2. Hart
3. Sandstrom

4. Lyon

5. Tomek -- At this point, it's really all the same. I'll believe it when I see it.
6. Madsen
7. Fedotov

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And just think, at MOST, 5 of these just could be in the NHL next year....and we are drafting 9...maybe 10 new guys so the list could expand further.

We did the poll in the summer, and did 20 guys not including goalies. And we STILL had 2 guys make the WJC that did not crack the top 20 list. That's pretty good depth.

We are getting in a position where we can go a quantity for quality deals here we don't ruin our depth. Just as Hextall wanted.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Hextall has to wait a year or two for quantity for quality, reason is your quantity has to be developed to the extent where the other team sees them as probable NHL players, not long shots (unless you're throwing in blue chip prospects which defeats the reason for quantity).

Once a guy has reached the AHL (or has a full season or two in the SHL or KHL) he's much easier to project than a good but not great prospect in junior, where you're having to extrapolate his physical and skill growth.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Couldn't agree more with a lot of the discussion here. It's exactly why I prefer to rank in tiers for lists of this nature.

1. Sanheim -- I still see his upside as being a different animal, albeit less likely to hit it than some others.

2. Myers -- Injury concerns and how he'll adapt to having some of the aggressives coached out of him (unfortunately) keep me from considering going up a tier.
3. Morin -- Mostly above Lindblom on positional value.
4. Lindblom

5. Rubtsov

6. Vorobyov -- I value a strong 3C highly.
7. Friedman -- I continue to love this kid and positional value pushes him up a bit. I only got to see him in person once this year, but there was plenty I could point to in his development. He's absolutely, positively not Gostisbehere, though. Quell those thoughts.
8. Allison
9. Laberge -- I want to put him higher, but I just can't.

10. Aube-Kubel
11. Laczynski
12. Kase

13. Leier -- This is where likelihood of being an NHLer without much upside kicks in for me.
14. Fazleev

15. Hogberg
16. Bernhardt
17. Bunnaman
19. Hagg -- I really, really do not see what he does well. To borrow a football draft Twitter term, "Where does he win?"
20. Bardreau

1. Stolarz

2. Hart
3. Sandstrom

4. Lyon

5. Tomek -- At this point, it's really all the same. I'll believe it when I see it.
6. Madsen
7. Fedotov

I'd pretty much agree with all of this, although I don't have much of an opinion on Hagg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad