Winter 2017 individual prospect rankings

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
We've done a thread every 6 months where individually everyone can post a prospect list. Here is the winter 2017 edition. Comments and debate are encouraged.

*I chose not to include goalies, but others may if they wish.*

:flyers

1- Travis Sanheim
He has done everything asked of him... put on weight, move to his off side, work on his defense, work on his physicality, etc, etc. Now we are seeing his offense take off in the AHL. It's only a matter of time for Sanheim.

2- Phil Myers
The world finally saw what this board has been talking about for a year.

3- German Rubtsov
Having Rubtsov ahead of Lindblom may be a stretch, but I'm trusting my gut here. To me, it looks like Rubtsov has all the tools of a super versatile, all situations 2C.

4- Oskar Lindblom
If he starts in Lehigh Valley next year, I doubt it lasts for long.

5- Samuel Morin
How much better does the Flyers PK become when the top PK tandem is Morin & Provorov instead of AMac & Provorov?

6- Wade Allison
The 2nd half of my top 10 is semi interchangeable and very debatable, but for now the top spot is for the freshman, goal scoring power forward.

7- Pascal Laberge
After a rough stretch of time filled with concussions, he is coming on.

8- Mikhail Vorobyov
I thought he got better and better as the tournament went on. By the end, he was dishing all over the place. I see no reason he won't be a legit NHL center if he keeps progressing.

9- Mark Freidman
Similar to Allison, this is a tough one to rank because none of us see him often.

10- Tanner Laczynski
IMO the big climber amongst Flyers prospects so far this year. I've been impressed each viewing of him.

11- Linus Hogberg
12- Robert Hagg
13- David Kase
14- Nicolas Aube-Kubel
15- Radel Fazleev
16- David Bernhardt
17- Taylor Leier
18- Connor Bunnaman
19- Carsen Twarynski
20- Reese Willcox

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Myers
Linblom
Sanheim
Morin
Rubstov
Vorobyov
Allison
Laberge
Laczynski
Hagg

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How much better does the Flyers PK become when the top PK tandem is Morin & Provorov instead of AMac & Provorov?

Slightly better at best if VdV and Bellemare are still the main PK forwards. Them and Schultz have been the constant over the past three years of 27th-ranked penalty killing.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...2017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=shTimeOnIce

Fromm 11-12 to 13-14 when the PK was ranked 9th, the main PKers were Coburn, Kimmo and Couturier. Plus Coots and Read had seven SHP each.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...2014&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=shTimeOnIce

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kind of tough because I'm trying not to get too caught in recent bias here. I value positional value if I think it's close. So defense & centers will get the nod over wingers if I think it's close.

1. Travis Sanheim
2. Philippe Myers
3. Samuel Morin
4. Oskar Lindblom
5. German Rubtsov
6. Mikhail Vorobyov
7. Wade Allison
8. Mark Friedman
9. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
10. Pascal Laberge
11. Tanner Laczynski
12. David Kase
13. Taylor Leier
14. Radel Fazleev
15. Robert Hagg
16. David Bernhardt
17. Linus Hogberg
18. Cole Bardreau
19. Connor Bunnaman
20. Cooper Marody

1. Anthony Stolarz
2. Carter Hart
3. Felix Sandstrom
4. Alex Lyon
5. Merrick Madsen
6. Matej Tomek
7. Ivan Fedotov

Last edited:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Myers
Sanheim
Lindblom
Rubtsov
Morin
Vorobyov
Allison
Laczynski
Laberge
Friedman

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1 - Sanheim
2 - Myers
3 - Lindblom
4 - Rubstov
5 - Morin
6 - Vorobyov
7 - Laberge
8 - Allison
9 - Hagg
10 - Leier

1 - Stolarz
2 - Sandstrom
3 - Hart
4 - Lyon
5 - Madsen

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Myers
Linblom
Sanheim
Morin
Rubstov
Vorobyov
Allison
Laberge
Laczynski
Hagg

Btw the main reason I put Linblom over Sanheim at the mid season point is because how special he has been this year. I wouldn't trade Sanheim for Linblom, but what he is doing vs man in prob 2nd best league is crazy.

I am always surprised how high Friedman gets in these polls. I get the Ghost comparison, but a lot has gone right for Ghost imo. I'd take Hagg over him as of today real life and ranking wise

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Who's ever compared him to Gostisbehere? Ultimately I see a right handed defensemen who has an identity which helps carving out a role down the line. I said a few weeks ago I could see him being a Ryan Ellis type of defender if things go well.

I don't see that with Hagg thus why they are where they are on my list.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is it a stretch to rank Vorobyov ahead of Rubstov right now?

Well since they are prospects I think it's important to weight potential versus current performance and I do think Rubstov has a higher ceiling than Mikhail.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
1 - Sanheim
2 - Morin
3 - Leier
4 - Lindblom
5 - Myers
6 - Rubstov
7 - Vorobyov
8 - Laberge
9 - Allison
10 - Hagg

I think other players have a higher upside then Leier but as far as ranking them i think the 1st 4 will be on the Flyers roster next year which is my reasoning. To me this is my order of introductions to the team with Hagg being the wild card for me.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Who's ever compared him to Gostisbehere? Ultimately I see a right handed defensemen who has an identity which helps carving out a role down the line. I said a few weeks ago I could see him being a Ryan Ellis type of defender if things go well.

I don't see that with Hagg thus why they are where they are on my list.

Ellis was one the best offensive CHL dman of modern era, who showed defensive tools in the O and WJC. I wouldn't say Ellis has been a bust by any means but even his game hasn't translated to the NHL as many thought. I am not saying he isn't a good prospect just seems like a lot of hype for someone with no exposure

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1- Phil Myers
He has a similar skill package to Sanheim, his junior performance is as good, and he's bigger, more physical and right handed.

2- Oskar Lindblom
At 20 years old, he's a ppg player in the SHL, which is a cut above the AHL. As Appleyard has pointed out, that's a heckuva predictor for NHL success.

3- Travis Sanheim
He'll score, it remains to see how well he'll defend, if he continues to add strength and focuses on playing defense, he can be better than Ghost.

4- Samuel Morin
The question remains is how fluid a skater can he become, size, strength, shot are there, and straight line speed, the problem for big physical defensemen is balance and agility. If he can maintain position on NHL playmakers, his size and reach will make him hard to get around.

5- German Rubtsov
Jury is out, hasn't shown enough to confirm his potential.

6- Pascal Laberge
Concussions are a serious concern, they can end a career, and they put him in the same spot as Rubtsov, not enough information.

7- Mikhail Vorobyov
Holding his own in the KHL and shined in the WJC. Has a NHL body, more polished at a younger age than Luby.

8- David Kase
Good showing at the WJC, needs to get stronger before he comes to NA,

9- Wade Allison
Has power forward size and off to a good start, has to show that he can skate with NHL players, slow big forwards are passe.

10- Mark Freidman
Has progressed steadily throughout his college career, his advantage over Ghost will be a frame that could allow him to play close to "average" NHL size, but not as explosive. No guarantee he'll come out this season and could be lost next year.

11- David Bernhardt
Good size and he's holding his own in the SHL at 19 years old. Should fill out, if he learns a two way game could climb this list.

12- Tanner Laczynski
Talented, but a little bit of a tweener right now, not the size and strength for a power forward, not the explosive skating playmaker, young enough to improve in all areas and become a polished forward down the road.

13- Robert Hagg
Hasn't played up to his draft slot, but is still young and improving this year after a disappointing season. Problem is the pipeline is filling up and he needs a strong second half to move forward.

14- Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Hasn't done a lot this year, top players usually spend one year in the AHL then force their way into the NHL, he'll need a second season, and must shine next year, even to win a bottom six job. Has the speed and build to be a solid forechecker.

15- Linus Hogberg
Hasn't look as good as Bernhardt in the SHL, but almost a full year younger so next year we'll get a better read both in the SHL and the WJC.

16- Connor Bunnaman
Showing a scoring touch in his post-draft season to go with his size, speed, defense combo, could be a rapid riser.

17- Samuel Dove-McFalls
Has good size, and has rebounded after an injury filled season.

18- Reese Willcox
Has performed well in his first AHL season, as an older college player he should look good, but it's still an adjustment. Two years ago we might have projected him as a 3rd pair guy, now it's hard to see him make the team.

19- Taylor Leier
Has stepped it up in the AHL this year but while he has speed and hustle, didn't show enough in his cameo. Problem is he's really not big enough for a forecheck role or skilled enough for a scorer role.

20- Twarynski/Salinitri/Marody
Marody probably has the most upside, but a bad start in college

Goalies

1. Sandstrom
Did it on the big stage at WJC, and solid goalie in the SHL

1a. Stolarz
Keeps developing, might not be the most talent of the top three, but has done it in the AHL and in a cameo in the NHL

1b. Hart
Dominant junior goalie who looked a little shaky in the WJC

4. Madsen
Having a solid year at Harvard

5. Lyon
Had a great year at Yale, now has to step it up in the AHL. A little older than Stolarz.

6. Tomek
A "tease" in the WJC suggests he might yet live up to his early hype if he gets to start next year

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Travis Sanheim
2. Samuel Morin
3. Oskar Lindbolm
4. Philippe Myers
5. German Rubstov
6. Wade Allison
7. Mark Friedman
8. Mikhail Vorobyov
9. Pascale Laberge
10. Tanner Laczynski
11. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
12. Robert Hagg
13. Radel Fazleev
14. David Kase
15. David Bernhardt
17. Linus Hogberg
18. Cooper Marody
19. Connor Bunnaman
20. Cole Bardreau

1. Felix Sandstrom
2. Anthony Stolarz
3. Carter Hart
4. Alex Lyon
5. Merrick Madsen

Sandstrom moves like Lundqvist, you have to be excited about this guy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ellis was one the best offensive CHL dman of modern era, who showed defensive tools in the O and WJC. I wouldn't say Ellis has been a bust by any means but even his game hasn't translated to the NHL as many thought. I am not saying he isn't a good prospect just seems like a lot of hype for someone with no exposure

What Ellis did in his junior career is irrelevant. If you thought a 5'10" defender was going to be top flight defender than that's on you.

However fact is he's a guy who plays 20+ minutes, puts up 25+ points, scores around 10 goals, & has good possession numbers. That's a good player to have. If Friedman ends up like that you're pretty happy.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Btw the main reason I put Linblom over Sanheim at the mid season point is because how special he has been this year. I wouldn't trade Sanheim for Linblom, but what he is doing vs man in prob 2nd best league is crazy.

I guess someone can interpret doing these rankings several different ways. I always prefer to do them in an order asking myself... If I could only choose 1 prospect to have in my cupboard, all other things being equal, who would I keep?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
1 - Sanheim
2 - Morin
3 - Leier
4 - Lindblom
5 - Myers
6 - Rubstov
7 - Vorobyov
8 - Laberge
9 - Allison
10 - Hagg

I think other players have a higher upside then Leier but as far as ranking them i think the 1st 4 will be on the Flyers roster next year which is my reasoning. To me this is my order of introductions to the team with Hagg being the wild card for me.

I don't know, man. Even with him being close to NHL ready, which you value highly, it's tough to see a list where Taylor Leier is before a couple stud prospects. Leier just has such little upside.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I know Cooper Marody's dog ate his homework, but I think he deserves a little more leeway after tearing up the USHL in his draft year and doing great his first year in Michigan taking a seat behind some stars. It's not as if his play has been subpar or something he just missed a few months because of academic reasons. Laczynski, who I REALLY like, is now a borderline top 10 prospect but Marody being outside or barely in the top 20? Feels harsh for 2 guys with somewhat similar profiles that are roughly the same age. Not saying he shouldn't be ranked over Marody, and given that he's fresher on the mind and I've seen him more I would do the same, just that I would rank them more neck and neck right now as similar tier guys.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1 - Sanheim
2 - Morin
3 - Leier
4 - Lindblom
5 - Myers
6 - Rubstov
7 - Vorobyov
8 - Laberge
9 - Allison
10 - Hagg

So it's not really a list of who you think will be the best players potentially, just a list of who will make the team first?

If so, my list would be..

1 - Morin
2 - Lindblom
3 - Leier

All 3 could make team out of training camp next season but Morin has the best odds based on the state of our Defense.

4 - Sanheim

Also could make team out of camp. If not, will probably be first call-up at some point.

5 - Myers

One year in the A for seasoning and then makes the team out of a camp the summer of 2018.

6 - Vorobyov
6 - Rubstov

Tied for me, but I could actually see Voro making the team as a 4C before Rubstov makes the team because they will probably be a little more weary of stunting Germans potential by giving him low ice time at the NHL level when he could be playing a ton at the AHL level. This model served Detroit well for two decades.

8 - Hagg

Can see him as a bottom pairing dman for us by the 2018-2019 season, after a few call-ups for injuries in 2017-2018.

9 - Laberge
10 - Allison

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
What Ellis did in his junior career is irrelevant. If you thought a 5'10" defender was going to be top flight defender than that's on you.

However fact is he's a guy who plays 20+ minutes, puts up 25+ points, scores around 10 goals, & has good possession numbers. That's a good player to have. If Friedman ends up like that you're pretty happy.

What someone does at a certain level is 100% relevant. How else do you rate someone? Stats lie sometimes and don't tell the whole story, for me atleast especially on the NCAA.

And I think Ellis is a real good player on a good team/organization. I member going to bulls game when he was in town just to see him play specifically. Back to my original point, I don't understand where all the Freidman hype comes from since their is very little to know about him other then stats and random articles. One day he may very well earn a top spot on my own list, that's not out of the question, but for now i refuse to give him a top 10 until I've seen him play atleast 5 games. I'm pretty sure he is the only guy in my top 20 I haven't seen play

I v

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I know Cooper Marody's dog ate his homework, but I think he deserves a little more leeway after tearing up the USHL in his draft year and doing great his first year in Michigan taking a seat behind some stars. It's not as if his play has been subpar or something he just missed a few months because of academic reasons. Laczynski, who I REALLY like, is now a borderline top 10 prospect but Marody being outside or barely in the top 20? Feels harsh for 2 guys with somewhat similar profiles that are roughly the same age. Not saying he shouldn't be ranked over Marody, and given that he's fresher on the mind and I've seen him more I would do the same, just that I would rank them more neck and neck right now as similar tier guys.

I'm glad someone brought up Marody. I left him off intentionally. I just get a vibe from this guy that hockey might not be his 1st priority. Just by following his Instagram, etc Marody clearly has a lot outside interests he takes very serious. Which is fine, but when you have been deemed academically ineligible and have missed prospect camp in Voorhees, I can't help but wonder.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What someone does at a certain level is 100% relevant. How else do you rate someone? Stats lie sometimes and don't tell the whole story, for me atleast especially on the NCAA.

And I think Ellis is a real good player on a good team/organization. I member going to bulls game when he was in town just to see him play specifically. Back to my original point, I don't understand where all the Freidman hype comes from since their is very little to know about him other then stats and random articles. One day he may very well earn a top spot on my own list, that's not out of the question, but for now i refuse to give him a top 10 until I've seen him play atleast 5 games. I'm pretty sure he is the only guy in my top 20 I haven't seen play

I v

It's irrelevant in talking about Ryan Ellis as a player today. You brought up his junior career for whatever reason. That's what I was getting at.

You're talking different things here so we'll just save time & agree to disagree.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm glad someone brought up Marody. I left him off intentionally. I just get a vibe from this guy that hockey might not be his 1st priority. Just by following his Instagram, etc Marody clearly has a lot outside interests he takes very serious. Which is fine, but when you have been deemed academically ineligible and have missed prospect camp in Voorhees, I can't help but wonder.

I've actually half-wondered the same thing myself before with his music stuff and other things. I don't go browsing his social media, but he's quite eclectic as a person. And being academically ineligible bothered me because it's not hard to get by academically as an athlete. Go to the CHL if you don't want to do school work.

Still, he has been very productive as a player, and I'm willing to overlook that stuff for now because I don't want to judge a player on something on a personal level like that, which I really have no idea about. Better music than partying. But plenty of athletes in plenty of sports excel while having hobbies and side stuff. I'm trying to just judge him as a hockey player at present. If it manifests again, then I worry.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
If I'm ranking them for their potential this is my list:
Sanheim
Morin
Myers
Rubstov
Lindblom
Allison/Laberge
Laberge/Allison
Vorobyov