Winnipeg WCF games aren't selling out

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Maybe so. But they also love to pile on other Canadian teams as well.

So don't make it about the Leafs they have no control over this, they just like to pile on because being negative sells more papers and gets more clicks. Nobody is reading or talking about this article if its about the Jet's selling out for the third round.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
For the next game, I see some upper deck behind the goalie seats going for about $375 after taxes. I think those would cost $50 during the regular season. People are marking them up quite a bit, so I think that's a factor. Our season tickets are regular season $140 each (I think $275 for the third round) and in the same section people have them listed at over $600. Maybe that's the norm, but its a big jump in price for a single seat for a non-season ticket holder.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
So do we know if these '100' seats are just season ticket holders trying to sell their one offs and nobody picking them up?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I was making it more about Toronto than the Leafs. I remember last year when Toronto media (and some fans) went on and on about how Ottawa couldn't sell out and this would never ever happen in Toronto.

Apologies if I indirectly attacked your team.

Toronto sports media is a dumpster fire, I think only Montreal is worse but you have to understand French to really appreciate how bad they can be. Yeah this isn't the same thing either, maybe a few hundred didn't sell out game day but it was like thousands in Ottawa wasn't it?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Why would winnepeg sell out? They have so many entertainment attractions .too many choices..or theyre getting ready for the Blue Bombers season...
Kidding aside there has to be a reason for those empty seats. If theyre actually not selling out..move

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why would winnepeg sell out? They have so many entertainment attractions .too many choices..or theyre getting ready for the Blue Bombers season...
Kidding aside there has to be a reason for those empty seats. If theyre actually not selling out..move

It sounds like tickets sold day of, it's really not a huge deal. Regular season ticket sales are far more indicative of a clubs health.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Not surprising, ticket prices are insane. Last years playoffs it was cheaper for Oilers fans to fly down to Anaheim or San Jose, watch a game and stay in a hotel than it was to pay for tickets at home lol.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Toronto sports media is a dumpster fire, I think only Montreal is worse but you have to understand French to really appreciate how bad they can be. Yeah this isn't the same thing either, maybe a few hundred didn't sell out game day but it was like thousands in Ottawa wasn't it?

Probably. But why should that be a story in Toronto? That's all I was getting at.

Again, apologies for the indirect dig at your team. It was only meant at the media in your team's city.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Jets will be fine but ticket prices are way to much for the avg. fan. I think in the future even hockey mad markets like Winnipeg will struggle with attendance because people can't afford tickets.

Reactions: 204hockey

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Probably. But why should that be a story in Toronto? That's all I was getting at.

Again, apologies for the indirect dig at your team. It was only meant at the media in your team's city.

Eh Simmons is just trying to get attention but the Ottawa story was covered by everyone. CBC, CTV, Global as well as by sports only networks like Sportsnet & TSN (Which while based in Toronto aren't local stations).

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
15,000 people inside the Mts Bell Place
25,000 outside bell mts place at the white out block party.

I guess we do not support our team.
lol
Media can f*** off and stop fishing for a story.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I’m not sure the number of ppl at the whiteout party on the street is a great indicator. Many of those ppl are simply there to drink and party.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Doesn't sound like they pulled an Ottawa and had empty rows .Scattered singles is no big deal .
Ottawa's worst attendance is more than winnipeg's @ max capacity.

15,000 people inside the Mts Bell Place
25,000 outside bell mts place at the white out block party.

I guess we do not support our team.
lol
Media can **** off and stop fishing for a story.
The 12k outside while nice, is not indicitave of much. Filling the barn in the playoffs supports the product on the ice.

How is it possible that a canadian franchise this day and age couldn't fill a 15k arena with another 12k outside.

To everyone saying that fans "better support that team" and "need to sell tickets to make money", I have a newsfalsh for you: the revenue generated by sports teams these days is primarily from TV contracts, not from ticket sales. Like, orders of magnitude higher from the TV deals.

It would be true if the League wasnt as gate driven as it is currently. Funny you mention TV deals though, as the Canadian deal is great for the league but the mixture of that and an extremely strong US tv deal is necessary for the league to be reliant on tv revenue. Having a small market like winnipeg make the finals would take the interests of the majority of americans who will therefore not watch their games on NBCSN and give them probably the worst ratings for all SCF ever, same for CBC amd canada.

Winnipeg in the SCF is bad for the NHL business, and stunts the growth of a potential league wide changing of finances with a new US deal coming in the next few years.

Last edited:

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
100 short of a sellout with tickets selling at 2 to 3X the price? I think the Jets are making a boatload of extra cash with this long playoff run. And the playoffs are a bonus. If they were a few thousand short at $50 to $100 a pop then I would be worried. If that continued in future seasons then I would be really worried.

Reactions: 204hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad