Winnipeg to get WHL team.. will have NHL,AHL,and WHL teams

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would absolutely drive to Uof M (or wherever the team plays) to watch WHL hockey!

Honestly I haven't gone to a Moose game since they returned to Winnipeg, nor would I pay money to see the Jets future fourth line players. However with the excitement of youth coupled with the possibility of seeing future stars before they play in the NHL for probably a cheaper price I would buy tickets in a heartbeat to watch the Ice (or whatever they are called).

I do have to point out that the MJHL hasn't been drawing as well lately so its possible the market for junior hockey in Southern Manitoba may be drying up due to changing tastes and outside factors (Jets doing well, other activities to do on a Friday/ Saturday night). If the relocation results in an arena with a capacity between 4000-5000 seats it would be good for convention shows and as a smaller concert venue for bands/ artists not big enough to fill Bell MTS Place, and too big for the Burton Cummings Theatre.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So it's worth noting that the ownership group bringing the WHL team have worked closely with TNSE, and are former major advertisers/sponsors with the Jets. So TNSE is not blocking the Ice, and appears to be supportive. What's also nice is the ownership group is sinking some real money into this venture: paying to renovate U of M's arena, building a whole complex including a 4,000 seat arena in the SW, and are buying the MJHL Winnipeg Blues.

So I wish them all the best. But absolutely I have my doubts that all these levels of hockey can survive and flourish in Winnipeg. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see the Moose relocate down the road.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Moose aren't going anywhere, it would cost TNSE more money to run the team elsewhere.

True, but they'd also be able to book more concerts and other acts without the 40-some dates the Moose fill. Plus, if the Moose can generate better ticket sales elsewhere, may cause them to move.

Look, I have no inside information here. I just wouldn't be surprised to see the Moose move.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I wouldn't like that all these teams are playing in the same arena.

One of my favourite things about the OHL is watching games in smaller, unique looking arenas.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I wouldn't like that all these teams are playing in the same arena.

One of my favourite things about the OHL is watching games in smaller, unique looking arenas.
Rink Hockey Academy is building a new arena for the WHL team but for now the team would be playing at the U of Ms arena temporarily.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any other cities outside of the Toronto/GTA have anything close to this. No official CHL team in Toronto, but about 4 teams within an hour drive (Hamilton, Mississauga, Guelph, and Oshawa and 2 more are about 75 to 90 minutes (Kitchener, Niagara, and Peterborough). I know Van at one point had the Canucks, Giants and a team in Abbotsford. Montreal has the Laval AHL team, and a couple QMJHL teams in reasonable driving distance.

Will be interesting to see how it works out. Not sure what the competition for discretionary entertainment money is like in Winnipeg.

Last edited:

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
I will most definitely checkout a few games. Wouldn't sign up for season tickets though.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Any other cities outside of the Toronto/GTA have anything close to this. No official CHL team in Toronto the GTA, but about 4 teams within an hour drive (Hamilton, Mississauga, Guelph, and Oshawa and 2 more are about 75 to 90 minutes (Kitchener, Niagara, and Peterborough). I know Van at one point had the Canucks, Giants and a team in Abbotsford. Montreal has the Laval AHL team, and a couple QMJHL teams in reasonable driving distance.

Will be interesting to see how it works out. Not sure what the competition for discretionary entertainment money is like in Winnipeg.
Bombers do quite well for attendance (even though they haven’t won a championship since 1990) Goldeyes (independent Basebsll) also does very well...BellMTS is consistently too in North America for businest arenas for Concerts...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd get season tickets but the big thing is I've had season tickets with the Jets since 2011, but I'll check out maybe five games tops.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Any other cities outside of the Toronto/GTA have anything close to this. No official CHL team in Toronto the GTA, but about 4 teams within an hour drive (Hamilton, Mississauga, Guelph, and Oshawa and 2 more are about 75 to 90 minutes (Kitchener, Niagara, and Peterborough). I know Van at one point had the Canucks, Giants and a team in Abbotsford. Montreal has the Laval AHL team, and a couple QMJHL teams in reasonable driving distance.

It’s going to be interesting for sure. I would not make this investment in Winnipeg at this time personally but I will be interested to see how it turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad