Winnipeg or Toronto Quartet...

Which Quartet do you build around for the 2021/22 season and onward...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Inspired by my other poll of Carolina vs Toronto, I thought this would be an interesting poll.

You are the GM of the Seattle Kraken, which quartet do you take to start the 2021/22 season, factoring in CONTRACTS...

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Toronto has the best 2, but Tavares is also the least favorable and oldest by a bit. Winnipeg also has the weakest player IMO in Dubois.

I take Toronto due to Matthews and Marner being the most valuable by quite a bit. And Nylander providing value in his own regard.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This is my 2nd poll comparing the Toronto quartet , and it amazes me why people take Toronto factoring in contracts.

are people aware no nhl player in the history of the nhl, with a cap hit of 10 mil AAV or higher has ever won a 7 game playoff series....like ever!

they have 40 million tied up in 4 players as mentioned by the poster above me, and yet the majority still pick Toronto. I just think it’s fascinating

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Jets by a mile. Not because of the talent, but because of their cap hit ~24 mils vs ~40 mils.

Wthout considering contracts its Toronto.

This is my 2nd poll comparing the Toronto quartet , and it amazes me why people take Toronto factoring in contracts.

are people aware no nhl player in the history of the nhl, with a cap hit of 10 mil AAV or higher has ever won a 7 game playoff series....like ever!

they have 40 million tied up in 4 players as mentioned by the poster above me, and yet the majority still pick Toronto. I just think it’s fascinating

do you guys ever think, that the reason they make so much money is because they are really good?

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is by far the best player here. Marner is the second best.

Winnipeg has a great core, but Toronto is better.

Reactions: CatchyTune

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
do you guys ever think, that the reason they make so much money is because they are really good?

I'm sorry, but those 4 players together are not worth 40 mils. They are good but they are overpaid quite a bit...

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I'm sorry, but those 4 players together are not worth 40 mils. They are good but they are overpaid quite a bit...
you keep saying "they" like they are all 1 collective contract.

Matthews is a blank cheque guy, and Marner is close to it. Superstars at only 23 years old. Nylander provides good value.

Tavares is the only one i can see not being favorable in this poll/to Seattle. He is still an elite 1st line player though and im happy with him here.

i think whatever value Tavares' contract drags down the rest make up for it.

Also, if this whole poll is about Seattle, why not take the better assets and have the option to move 1 or more later on? They arent stuck with them forever.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
you keep saying "they" like they are all 1 collective contract.

Matthews is a blank cheque guy, and Marner is close to it. Superstars at only 23 years old. Nylander provides good value.

Tavares is the only one i can see not being favorable in this poll/to Seattle. He is still an elite 1st line player though and im happy with him here.

i think whatever value Tavares' contract drags down the rest make up for it.

Also, if this whole poll is about Seattle, why not take the better assets and have the option to move 1 or more later on? They arent stuck with them forever.

The question is aksing which 4 would you take considering their contracts. 4 players 40 mils Toronto vs 4 players 24 mils Jets.
If I would build a new team, the difference in cap space is huge.

As for moving assets, I would say it is easier to build around 4 top forwards than around 3...If you trade Tavares from that quartet, you are left with 3 forwards making more money than the Jest quartet, yet combining (this season) for fewer goals, fewer assits and fewer points. And somehow this is better because.... Something something, Toronto.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The question is aksing which 4 would you take considering their contracts. 4 players 40 mils Toronto vs 4 players 24 mils Jets.
If I would build a new team, the difference in cap space is huge.

As for moving assets, I would say it is easier to build around 4 top forwards than around 3...If you trade Tavares from that quartet, you are left with 3 forwards making more money than the Jest quartet, yet combining (this season) for fewer goals, fewer assits and fewer points. And somehow this is better because.... Something something, Toronto.
you just solved your own problem. good job. get rid of Tavares and save money, and keep the rest.

I would rather have Matthews/Marner/Nylander than Winnipegs 4.

None are individually overpaid, so whats the issue there?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Well, considering the Leafs are better than the Jets right now with their core four, I’ll take the Leaf players.

If 40m tied up in four players is such a hurdle, why was Dubas able to put together such a good team? I would just copy and paste everything he’s done and get a better goalie.

Are we just imagining starting from scratch and plugging in players to fit within the cap hit? If so I’ll take 4 AHL players with min cap hit and just fill it contracts like Garland, Varhagae and add high end discounts like MacKinnon, Barkov, Pastrnak then, but that defeats the purpose.

Leafs core and it’s not particularly close for me.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Leafs.

If the salary difference mattered that much then the Jets would put all that additional space into building a better team. But they aren't better because it doesn't make enough difference to bridge the gap.

Reactions: DarylO

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

I still havent seen this mysterious player called cap hit actually do anything? Its not like we get bonus points for having cap space.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

At one point, no player making over One Million won a Cup...and then they did
At one point, no player making 5 million won a Cup...and then they did

I thought being in tune with players salaries, you know they go up.
Have you gone to the Edmonton and NYR boards to give them the bad news.

Maybe people think about talent, and not hate-like you.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It's because contracts are irrelevant, Toronto's group is straight up better and contracts don't change that

Reactions: Pyrophorus

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Can i shoot Tavares and his cap hit to the moon? If not...i think i still take the leafs 4 because of matthews and marner, but it's close

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’ll go with the Jets

Matthews is better than Schiefele but it’s close, and I think Ehlers is just a smidge better than Ehlers.

Then I have Connor + Dubois >> Tavares + Nylander. The cap space is huge, too. You could turn that into some real quality pieces. The Toronto group just makes too much money, especially Tavares.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Toronto 4 is a better group (by a bit - but I dont really like Tavares and I think Dubois will getter a lot better) but that Cap hit is ugly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’ll go with the Jets

Matthews is better than Schiefele but it’s close, and I think Ehlers is just a smidge better than Ehlers.

Then I have Connor + Dubois >> Tavares + Nylander. The cap space is huge, too. You could turn that into some real quality pieces. The Toronto group just makes too much money, especially Tavares.

Ehlers is better than Ehlers? I disagree.

I'd go Ehlers >>> Ehlers >>> Ehlers

Ehlers.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I’ll go with the Jets

Marner might be better than Ehlers, but not by much and he's twice as expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad