FnJpeeGt.jpg

43.1% of vote

13. Brendan Lemieux, LW
brendan-lemieux-2017-6378.jpg

37.3% of vote

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think Virtanen will be a big riser during the next year but I can't really vote for him with the current showings.

Green
Appleton
Virtanen
De Leo

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Garret's List, Garret's PCS%, and HFJets Rankings

1 Connor 67.4% ...voted 1st
2 Roslovic 58.0% ...voted 2nd
3 Vesalainen 55.6% ...voted 3rd
4 Samberg 8.9% ...voted 9th
5 Niku 20.0% ...voted 4th
6 Poolman 20.0% ...voted 5th
7 Spacek 21.0% ...voted 7th
8 Kovacevic 20.2% ...voted 11th
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3% ...voted 13th
11 Foley 18.6% ...voted 12th
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 Harkins 12.3% ...voted 8th
15 DeLeo 21.1%
16 Appleton 14.4%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3% ...voted 10th
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Lot of interesting players still leftover, but it is really exponentially moving into lower and lower confidence regions.

In no particular order:

Virtanen - High upside, does things well. Good power game, reminds me of Puljujarvi stylistically sometimes, although not remotely as talented. Truck sees Copp, which I can also see a bit. Was expected to go higher but injured creating a lot of question marks.

DeLeo - Strong AHL player who performed exceptionally in junior. Small but knows the two-way game and not afraid to be physical. Questionable on whether he can make the jump though.

Appleton - Skating is an issue but he's a smart player who works hard. I can see him fitting in very well as the new wave of bottom-six players, who have both defensive and offensive skill, guys like Copp, Harkins, etc.

Gawanke/Green - Two smart offensive defenders. Green has clear edge in skating, being one of the best skaters we have, but lacks in size and defensive skills departments. Gawanke's skating is clunky but he can still move and he knows the game at both ends.

McKenzie - Imagine if DeLeo had the aggressiveness of Lipon.

Nogier - I'm not very high on him, as I want him do better in the AHL before I expect the NHL. I did not see what many here seem to have seen when he had his short NHL stint. Great skater and defensively aware, but not sure the puck skills are their for the quick movement out.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Voted Green.

Picking getting slim for nominations.

Considered Glover, but I've only read about him & have never seen him play.

Nominating Kostalek even though he's been my least favourite member of the Moose.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Maybe due to my ignorance, but I voted Green as well. Great set of wheels, and seems smarter to me than some might give him credit for.

I really don't know much about this year's picks as I've been crazy busy, so maybe someone else deserves to be considered ahead of him.

Vaguely considered Cederholm, Berdin and Nogier in no particular order.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Green, on skating and offensive potential.
Don't see anything distinctive in Virtanen

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No love for De Leo eh? When a kid who played 16 games all season long gets ahead of him it seems that he is essentially the throw away prospect now.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Green, on skating and offensive potential.
Don't see anything distinctive in Virtanen

The thing with Virtanen is that he didn't play much this year, so we have to scout him from his D-1 season and extrapolate. Unless you watch a lot of prospects from that early on, it's pretty hard to mentally adjust to that. This is why people will have highly variant opinions.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lot of interesting players still leftover, but it is really exponentially moving into lower and lower confidence regions.

In no particular order:

Virtanen - High upside, does things well. Good power game, reminds me of Puljujarvi stylistically sometimes, although not remotely as talented. Truck sees Copp, which I can also see a bit. Was expected to go higher but injured creating a lot of question marks.

DeLeo - Strong AHL player who performed exceptionally in junior. Small but knows the two-way game and not afraid to be physical. Questionable on whether he can make the jump though.

Appleton - Skating is an issue but he's a smart player who works hard. I can see him fitting in very well as the new wave of bottom-six players, who have both defensive and offensive skill, guys like Copp, Harkins, etc.

Gawanke/Green - Two smart offensive defenders. Green has clear edge in skating, being one of the best skaters we have, but lacks in size and defensive skills departments. Gawanke's skating is clunky but he can still move and he knows the game at both ends.

McKenzie - Imagine if DeLeo had the aggressiveness of Lipon.

Nogier - I'm not very high on him, as I want him do better in the AHL before I expect the NHL. I did not see what many here seem to have seen when he had his short NHL stint. Great skater and defensively aware, but not sure the puck skills are their for the quick movement out.

I agree with these general impressions.

My support for Nogier is only partly irrational.

His scoring at the AHL level was actually not terrible, considering the team's lackluster scoring an no PP usage.

What I saw during his short NHL stint was a vast improvement in his confidence and decision-making with the puck within the past 1 year. I think it's that trajectory that intrigues me, combine with his generally good positioning, gap control and awareness defensively. He has good skating. I still likely overrate him, but call it a hunch.

I still think Kraskovsky has an interesting skillset, though his numbers haven't shown it and I guess there are big question marks about whether he will want to leave Russia.

I really liked Virtanen at the U-18, and agree that he has a nice blend of some offense with good defensive tools. I think it will be great if the Jets can line up a number of cheap young "plug-and-play" forwards for the bottom-6 over the next few years.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
No love for De Leo eh? When a kid who played 16 games all season long gets ahead of him it seems that he is essentially the throw away prospect now.

feel sorry for de leo as just too much depth with prospects. did well with his callup a 2 seasons ago if I recall.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
feel sorry for de leo as just too much depth with prospects. did well with his callup a 2 seasons ago if I recall.

He didn't take a step forward last year - maybe even took a bit of a step back from his 15-16 season. If he doesn't show remarkable improvement this year, I think he's going to fall off the map.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He didn't take a step forward last year - maybe even took a bit of a step back from his 15-16 season. If he doesn't show remarkable improvement this year, I think he's going to fall off the map.

Where was he on the Moose, top 6?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Where was he on the Moose, top 6?

Yeah, definitely top 6 both years. They seem to roll the lines a bit more equitably in the AHL from what I've seen, but there's still an order. He was getting decent powerplay time as well. Half his points were on the PP...so 16 ES points last season.

He doesn't look bad but I think he's a real longshot...as is everyone at this level of the rankings, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad