22. Lukas Sutter - 28 votes (#9)
23. Jan Kostalek - 25 votes (NA)
24. Patrice Cormier - 16 votes (#6)
25. Jason Kasdorf - 13 votes (#24)
26. Anthony Peluso - 10 votes (NA)
27. Carl Klingberg - 9 votes (#7)
28. Cody Sol - 7 votes (#18)
29. Austen Brassard - 6 votes (#19)
30. Jordan Samuels-Thomas - 4 votes (#25)
31. Ben Chiarot - 3 votes (#22)
T32. John Albert - 2 votes (NA)
T32. Vinny Saponari - 2 votes (#30)
T32. Peter Stoykewych - 2 votes (#28)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
#6 through #9 from last year's rankings are all gone from the top 20 this year. Shiny new toys indeed.

Will be really interesting to see Telegin's ranking next year. I'm guessing he'll either be top 5 or out of the top 20 altogether.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
#6 through #9 from last year's rankings are all gone from the top 20 this year. Shiny new toys indeed.

Will be really interesting to see Telegin's ranking next year. I'm guessing he'll either be top 5 or out of the top 20 altogether.

I think that's likely.

As others have said, i think its a combo of A) shiny new toys. B) a lot of picks in the first 4 rounds, C) picking a lot of "fallers" in the first 4 rounds , and D) grabbing the three overagers.

I think it's fair. If we see the same thing happen next year then we'll know we're all very guilty

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Shouldn't we expect to see 4 to 5 new draftees every year given that the shelf life of a prospect is only 3-5 years? I think 7 this year is reasonable for reasons stated above.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Mine is a fair bit different.

Mine - Player - Board
1. D Jacob Trouba - 1
2. C Mark Scheifele - 2
3. D Josh Morrissey - 3
4. LW Adam Lowry - 4
5. C Nic Petan - 6
6. D Paul Postma - 7
7. D Zach Redmond - 5
8. G Connor Hellebuyck - 9
9. D Arturs Kulda - 14
10. C Eric O'Dell - 8
11. C Jimmy Lodge - 12
12. RW Scott Kosmachuk - 13
13. LW Ivan Telegin - 10
14. G Eric Comrie - 11
15. G Eddie Pasquale - 21
16. C Ryan Olsen - 18
17. D Julian Melchiori - 16
18. G Juho Olkinuora - 17
19. D Jan Kostalek - 23
20. LW Jordan Samuels-Thomas -30
21. G Michael Hutchinson - NA
22. G Jason Kasdorf - 25
23. RW JC Lipon - 15
24. LW Carl Klingberg - 27
25. C Andrew Copp - 20
26. C Patrice Cormier - 24
27. D Brendan Kichton - 19
28. RW Anthony Peluso - 26
29. C Lukas Sutter - 22
Don't care about the rest, none will be NHLers past this point.

Top 14 is close, other than a bit of re-arranging, but after that many changes.

Biggest differences
Samuels-Thomas (+10) - Vastly underrated around here. Big strong power forward that showed some real solid scoring touch this year. He has the potential to be a beast on the 3rd line down road.
Pasquale (+6) - Solid pro experience, goalies in general were underrated on this list, IMO
Kulda (+5) - Not gonna get into him again.
Kostalek (+4) - This guy was an absolute steal in the 5th round. Smart safe smooth skating D, he will be shooting up these rankings next year after WJC, bank on that.
Kichton (-8) - Shiny new toy with lots of points, we'll see how his attitude and game transition to the pros. I am not expecting anything.
Lipon (-8) - Not a fan. We reached for a "name" player if that can be said in the 3rd round, he is a small agitator. Not much in the way of upside, IMO.
Sutter (-7) - Yeah, I think he was only voted for based on draft position, by the numbers and scouting he has had almost the exact same progression as an Austin Brassard (who did not even feel should have been offered a contract).

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it's very natural for the new toys to get their shot......you have to remember everyone had a chance to play this role in the movie at one point in time.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And this is the key everyone needs to keep in mind. They're are good prospects, but we'll see where they're at a year from now.

Exactly......For example Lukas Sutter had an abysmal season and his new ranking dropped like a stone and accurately reflects this snap shot in time. Innocent until proven guilty.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Exactly......For example Lukas Sutter had an abysmal season and his new ranking dropped like a stone and accurately reflects this snap shot in time. Innocent until proven guilty.

...only he was never particularly good.

His high ranking was all about draft status and shiny new toy syndrome.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
...only he was never particularly good.

His high ranking was all about draft status and shiny new toy syndrome.

Yea I generally agree with the assessment but I talked with a guy who knows the Blades well and he said Lukas was a completely different player this last season and he quit doing what got him there the year before. it's almost like the 2nd round selection went to his head a bit (my viewpoint). either way he was never going to be more than a bottom 6 grinder at best so it was a bit of an odd choice looking back.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Don't care about the rest, none will be NHLers past this point.

Top 14 is close, other than a bit of re-arranging, but after that many changes.

Biggest differences
Samuels-Thomas (+10) - Vastly underrated around here. Big strong power forward that showed some real solid scoring touch this year. He has the potential to be a beast on the 3rd line down road.
Pasquale (+6) - Solid pro experience, goalies in general were underrated on this list, IMO
Kulda (+5) - Not gonna get into him again.
Kostalek (+4) - This guy was an absolute steal in the 5th round. Smart safe smooth skating D, he will be shooting up these rankings next year after WJC, bank on that.
Kichton (-8) - Shiny new toy with lots of points, we'll see how his attitude and game transition to the pros. I am not expecting anything.
Lipon (-8) - Not a fan. We reached for a "name" player if that can be said in the 3rd round, he is a small agitator. Not much in the way of upside, IMO.
Sutter (-7) - Yeah, I think he was only voted for based on draft position, by the numbers and scouting he has had almost the exact same progression as an Austin Brassard (who did not even feel should have been offered a contract).

I think your comment that no one past this point has a chance is probably correct. Still, I might give Stoykewych, who apparently is progressing fairly well in college, and Brassard a very remote chance (moreso Stoykewych).

Samuels-Thomas did extremely well in the NCAA playoffs this past season and definitely has potential. I didn't vote for him, though, because he declined his invitation to the camp last week. I just think he's going to become a free agent and bolt somewhere else. Hope I'm wrong - maybe I'm reading too much into his declining the invitation.

The upcoming season is critical for Pasquale. By most accounts, he regressed last year. He could take the back-up job in 2014-15 or not be given a QO next spring. We'll see.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think your comment that no one past this point has a chance is probably correct. Still, I might give Stoykewych, who apparently is progressing fairly well in college, and Brassard a very remote chance (moreso Stoykewych).

Samuels-Thomas did extremely well in the NCAA playoffs this past season and definitely has potential. I didn't vote for him, though, because he declined his invitation to the camp last week. I just think he's going to become a free agent and bolt somewhere else. Hope I'm wrong - maybe I'm reading too much into his declining the invitation.

The upcoming season is critical for Pasquale. By most accounts, he regressed last year. He could take the back-up job in 2014-15 or not be given a QO next spring. We'll see.

I think your reading WAAAAAY too much into that. By a mile. Could be any number of valid reasons that Samuels-Thomas did not attend, not the least of which is expense. Could be he had a family commitment or any number of reasons. Summer development camps are about the absolute lowest of the low in terms of mattering. It gets lots of play here since there is literally nothing else to talk about, but summer camps mean nothing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad