Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect Rankings (2013 edition) - #7

Duir

Went with Hellebuyck. Don't know why, but gut feeling says he's a real dark horse prospect to me.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
might be in the minority here but i went with Helleybuck. He really played well last season in College and has improved a lot. Longterm Comrie & Helleybuck could be a nice 1-2 punch for us in net

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I have to go Postma as I had voted for him last round b4 petran

I had
6)Postma
7)Petran
8) Odell
9) Hellybuck
10)Tealegin..........:yo::yo:

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
Went with Connor Hellebuyck because he has the potential to be an impact player. Those remaining may play in the NHL sooner but don't a higher ceiling that Connor has.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Personally,
I don't want to vote for Helle unless he does back-to-back solids in NCAA. Goalies in low leagues can be so volatile due to super small sample sizes.
Comrie I want to see how he transfers to pro before I start getting big on him.
I'll take Kosmachuk over Lipon personally 'cos I got a soft spot for the guy.
Telegin? Like him to succeed but he's scared me with 3 big injuries in less than 8 months time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Don't know a thing about this guy. What's his deal? Good pick up for us?

Corey Pronman rated him #57 of all draftees:

57. Jan Kostalek, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Kostalek is one of the better Czech prospects in recent years. He played in the Czech men's league for ten games at age 16, and played at the U-18 and U-19 levels that same season before coming to the QMJHL for his draft year. Kostalek is a heady defenseman, and while he may not possess the most offensive upside, he projects as a tough-minutes defender with some puck moving ability. He makes a lot of stops with a good stick, impressive defensive positioning, and solid physicality. When Kostalek has the puck, he has a good panic threshold, and enough offensive instincts to make a good outlet. He has second power play unit potential. He will not rush through the neutral zone, or dangle through opponents, but he can be a good secondary carrying option. He skates at a solid level with good mobility and agility. He has the speed to join the rush or pinch, which he does selectively.

Hockey's Future:
An extremely polished two-way defenseman, Kostalek plays a mature game and adapted well to being counted on to play plenty of minutes in all situations. Perhaps his best skill is his intelligence and hockey sense on the ice. Quite simply, he rarely makes a mistake. Only average sized, he skates well and plays with a bit of an edge. Offensively, there is still room to grow, but he makes smart decisions and moves the puck well. He'll continue to improve as he gets stronger.

Likes to open-ice hit players when they put their head down, although he tends to lose fights:

EDIT:
Didn't want to flood the thread but thanks! I think Kostalek could turn out to be a real nice late rounder like Postma or Redmond did.

Last edited:

Duir

Thanks garret. Sounds like a smart pick up overall. Looks like we had a very good overall draft. Pretty exciting!

Aela*

I voted for Lodge. He has potential to be that 2nd liner we could use. Don't know enough about Hellebuyck to say he has higher ceiling than Lodge.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He hasn't had a fair shake or much of a chance due to his heart surgery. I like Odell too and not based odd his boxcars, in fact I wish they were better for his age. He should be the only ice cap in the top 10 or even closer to 15 except for melchiori.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Postma has this one, Kulda is older and better(move proven if you will) Telegrin is closer to helping tomorrow then any of the others in my opinion

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
I'm pretty optimistic and patient. But I don't like Postma at all. I guess if we needed offensive D I would buy in with more hope. But I don't see anything of real value to our franchise over the long term. I hope he makes me eat crow hard a la Clitsome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad