Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why would he wait a year and lose the year's salary?
He'd be on an ELC so they are limited contracts.
With the numbers he is putting up, he will be in the NHL next year.
He won't leave college for 70k a year in the A.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The way you talk it sounds like it is rare for NCAA players to go to the AHL.

I doubt the Jets would lead him to believe he has more than a slim chance of making the NHL next year. They may very well make him an offer to turn pro next year though. Through his family of course. He may or may not accept it. That would be up to him and individuals vary in their motivations. I expect 1 more year of NCAA before they make him an offer good enough to get him to leave school but I don't know what they will do any more than you do.

I'm not talking about NCAAPlayers in general. Roslovic is a freshman. How many of those players who went to the A are freshman? I think it is pretty rare.

I'd say 5% chance he signs with the Jets this year 95% chance he stays in school. We have a better chance of winniing the draft lottery.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not talking about NCAAPlayers in general. Roslovic is a freshman. How many of those players who went to the A are freshman? I think it is pretty rare.

I'd say 5% chance he signs with the Jets this year 95% chance he stays in school. We have a better chance of winniing the draft lottery.

I'd say it is extremely rare. But we are talking about him leaving school AFTER this season when he will no longer be a freashman, playing in the A next year.

I don't recall anybody saying it was the most likely thing to happen, only that it is among the possibilities. It is not that rare for a player to leave uni after 1 year. 5%, 10%, IDK but it happens.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'd say it is extremely rare. But we are talking about him leaving school AFTER this season when he will no longer be a freashman, playing in the A next year.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Next year. 5% chance

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a limit to the # of call-ups clubs can make without burning a year of their contract, correct?
Thought I heard that the Jets can bring 3 more guys up and are waiting to do so to see how things play out.
I'm guessing they're holding a spot for Connor to play. Think it's a given that he signs the second his NCAA season ends.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a limit to the # of call-ups clubs can make without burning a year of their contract, correct?
Thought I heard that the Jets can bring 3 more guys up and are waiting to do so to see how things play out.
I'm guessing they're holding a spot for Connor to play. Think it's a given that he signs the second his NCAA season ends.

You're allowed unlimited emergency call-ups. Have the Jets used any of their limit of 4 non-emergency call-ups yet?

Edit: Oh wait...you mean burning a year of ELC - that depends on the number of NHL games they play. So if the Jets signed Connor this season and played him in 10+ games, he'd burn a year of ELC. I don't think that's possible though - depending on how late Michigan's season goes.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

It has nothing to do with burming a year of anyone's contract. Everyone on an ELC with the moose is burning a year.

There is a limit of 4 callups after the NHL trade deadline. Emergency callups don't count and so far every one has bee emergency. The Jets can still make 4 callups.

Connor would not count as a callup if he's not assigned to the Moose

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Just to clarify for everyone, my understanding is that if someone is signed out of the NCAA after the college season is done, but before the NHL season ends, this year counts as year 1 of their ELC. (This is the extra incentive they give players to sign ie Trouba, Helle and Copp.) Just because your ELC ends earlier doesn't mean you become an Unrestricted free agent earlier as you need to accrue 7 NHL seasons or be 27 years old, (whichever comes first) to be a UFA. You only accrue an NHL season after dressing for 10 games in that season. You can be on the roster, collecting an NHL paycheque but not playing and therefore not starting the clock to UFA. You would become an RFA one year sooner though.

So someone like Roslovic would need to consider 1) Are they ready for the AHL? Is that what is best for their development? If it is, the Jets could sign him and carry him on the NHL roster for the last 8ish games of the season and he would get paid 100K (which he could invest to pay his own way through University if hockey didn't work out for him.) Then he might be making 80K next season with the Moose. Is leaving University early worth that or not?

From the Jets perspective, they may not want to take 2 years off his ELC (This year and next year) if they feel his development will be the same with another year in the NCAA. Its interesting and when a contract is extended it does test your priorities. Rumour has it Helle's parents didn't want him to sign but he did and that Tucker Poolman was extended a contract but he wanted to go back to school. The decision might boil down to how confident you are you could make a career out of hockey. I think the decision/ability to get some NHL pay at the end of the season or not would be a pretty big influencing factor for a lot of people. I know it would be for me.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Connor's contract would slide if he's signed before the end of the year unless he plays in 10 NHL games. This is because this is his 19 year old season

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I thought it was nine games, but it looks like it only took Copp one game to burn an ELC year (compared to Trouba's 0 games in '12/'13). Presumably because he was older?

I think it's 40 games to burn an RFA year, though.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Looks like it only took Copp one game to burn an ELC year (compared to Trouba's 0 games in '12/'13).

I think it's 40 games to burn an RFA year, though.

Copp was already 20 when he signed. Players who are 20 never have their contracts slide.

40 games on the NHL roster (not games played) counts as a year towards free agency

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor will sign with the Jets before the 2016-2017 season begins.
If anyone feels strongly that I am wrong, are they willing to take on a wager????????

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Could someone in the know clarify this? To my knowledge, the only way an elc is not "burned" is for players 19 or younger drafted from the chl. If they play 9 or less nhl games their contract year isn't used up. Is that accurate?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Could someone in the know clarify this? To my knowledge, the only way an elc is not "burned" is for players 19 or younger drafted from the chl. If they play 9 or less nhl games their contract year isn't used up. Is that accurate?

Nope. Look at William Nylander last year.

Drafted out of Europe. Signed ELC. Played AHL for significant GP as U20. No NHL GP. Contract slid.

U20 again this year, probably will play 10 NHL GP. Will burn year of ELC if that happens.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just to clarify for everyone, my understanding is that if someone is signed out of the NCAA after the college season is done, but before the NHL season ends, this year counts as year 1 of their ELC. (This is the extra incentive they give players to sign ie Trouba, Helle and Copp.) Just because your ELC ends earlier doesn't mean you become an Unrestricted free agent earlier as you need to accrue 7 NHL seasons or be 27 years old, (whichever comes first) to be a UFA. You only accrue an NHL season after dressing for 10 games in that season. You can be on the roster, collecting an NHL paycheque but not playing and therefore not starting the clock to UFA. You would become an RFA one year sooner though.

So someone like Roslovic would need to consider 1) Are they ready for the AHL? Is that what is best for their development? If it is, the Jets could sign him and carry him on the NHL roster for the last 8ish games of the season and he would get paid 100K (which he could invest to pay his own way through University if hockey didn't work out for him.) Then he might be making 80K next season with the Moose. Is leaving University early worth that or not?

From the Jets perspective, they may not want to take 2 years off his ELC (This year and next year) if they feel his development will be the same with another year in the NCAA. Its interesting and when a contract is extended it does test your priorities. Rumour has it Helle's parents didn't want him to sign but he did and that Tucker Poolman was extended a contract but he wanted to go back to school. The decision might boil down to how confident you are you could make a career out of hockey. I think the decision/ability to get some NHL pay at the end of the season or not would be a pretty big influencing factor for a lot of people. I know it would be for me.

Troubas contract did slide in his first year though (12-13). Copp was older so his didnt slide.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's a scenario where having AHL and NHL teams in the same city can really help.

Maybe. IDK if that would be a factor or not. I doubt Roslovic turns pro this year but you never know. If he does he would almost certainly have to spend at least 1 year with the Moose, maybe 2. I expect him to do 1 more year NCAA and turn pro the next year. At that point I still think he will need a year in the A. Just my guesses.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Nope. Look at William Nylander last year.

Drafted out of Europe. Signed ELC. Played AHL for significant GP as U20. No NHL GP. Contract slid.

U20 again this year, probably will play 10 NHL GP. Will burn year of ELC if that happens.

So it's all 19 yr olds and younger then? regardless of where they were drafted from?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So it's all 19 yr olds and younger then? regardless of where they were drafted from?

Yes. All players age 19 and younger are eligible to have contract slide regardless of where drafted from or where thry play that year (other than nhl which contract starts if play more than 10 games). Theres some slight wrinkles to that rule that are too numerous and complex for me to go into on phone, but thats the rule of thumb.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Period Covered by First SPC
and Years in the Entry Level System
and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older
No required number of years, not in the Entry Level
System and not subject to limits on compensation
(c)
Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was
drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in
Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to
the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or
older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.
(d)
(i)
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
ARTICLE 9 9.2-9.3
(ii)
In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC
extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least
ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term
of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly

agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional
year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the
exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games
played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

(iii)
In the event a Player ceases to render his playing services called for under
his SPC (except as a result of injury, illness or disability) during such
period that he is in the Entry Level System, then during such non-playing
period, the Player's number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for a period equal to the remaining unfulfilled portion of his
SPC.
(iv)
The return dates to Major Juniors (as established by Agreement between
the NHL and the Canadian Hockey League, dated May 2, 1995 (or any
successor or similar agreement so long as there is no material change in
those return dates)), and the minor leagues (as set forth in Section 8.7) are
hereby confirmed and affirmed and are continued during the term of this
Agreement and any extension hereof (e.g., return dates, prohibition on
sending underage players to minors).
Age of Players.
As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means
a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his
actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad