Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He hasn't signed a contract yet.

When a CHL drafted player is sent back he is there for the year. I wonder if it would work the same way for a player drafted from anywhere else. Spacek will have signed a CHL contract so he probably has to finish the year. But ... if he signed with the Jets would it be possible for them to assign him to the AHL? My guess would be no but I'm not sure. It might be possible.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
When a CHL drafted player is sent back he is there for the year. I wonder if it would work the same way for a player drafted from anywhere else. Spacek will have signed a CHL contract so he probably has to finish the year. But ... if he signed with the Jets would it be possible for them to assign him to the AHL? My guess would be no but I'm not sure. It might be possible.

It's happened before. He was not drafted from a CHL team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's happened before. He was not drafted from a CHL team.

Right. I got that part. It is taking him from his CHL team in mid-season that I am wondering about. Nylander was pulled from a European team last year to finish the year in the AHL. This might work the same way. Or not.

On a slightly different note, is he showing the kind of maturity that would make sending him to the AHL right now appropriate for his development? He played in a men's league the last 2 years in the Czech Republic FWIW.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Right. I got that part. It is taking him from his CHL team in mid-season that I am wondering about. Nylander was pulled from a European team last year to finish the year in the AHL. This might work the same way. Or not.

The CHL NHL agreement does not apply to Specek. He was not playing for a CHL team while he was drafted. It's happened before, players have gone to the CHL after they have been drafted and then played in the AHL before they are 20. If Spacek and the Jets want that to happen it will happen. Doesn't mean it will.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Remember on draft day when we were all freaking out after the Boston picks that we'd have Barzal or Connor?

That was a fun day.

Reminds me of that time Vancouver took Virtanen and Carolina took Fleury and we'd get one of Nylander or Ehlers.

Also a fun day. :nod:

Aug 6, 2012
Wings fan from Detroit, got to watch plenty of Connor this weekend. Best player on the ice no question. Phenomenal skater. Reminds me of Larkin the way he can handle the puck and make plays at high speeds. Going to be an absolute stud.

If he keeps this up he should take the Larkin route and turn pro sooner rather than later.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wings fan from Detroit, got to watch plenty of Connor this weekend. Best player on the ice no question. Phenomenal skater. Reminds me of Larkin the way he can handle the puck and make plays at high speeds. Going to be an absolute stud.

If he keeps this up he should take the Larkin route and turn pro sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the update. Very encouraging. Larkin is a terrific young player. If Connor is near the same level, the Jets will have a good one.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

New draft strategy of picking Michigan recruits lol.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The CHL NHL agreement does not apply to Specek. He was not playing for a CHL team while he was drafted. It's happened before, players have gone to the CHL after they have been drafted and then played in the AHL before they are 20. If Spacek and the Jets want that to happen it will happen. Doesn't mean it will.

I know that. I stated the same thing in my first post on the subject. The question is can he leave the Rebels in MID-SEASON. Having nothing to do with the NHL/CHL agreement, Spacek has signed a CHL contract. Can he leave them in mid-season if he signs with the Jets? Can he then go to the AHL. For that matter could he be called up to the NHL? This is not about draft staus. Only the obligation to Red Deer.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Great update. Thanks.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I know that. I stated the same thing in my first post on the subject. The question is can he leave the Rebels in MID-SEASON. Having nothing to do with the NHL/CHL agreement, Spacek has signed a CHL contract. Can he leave them in mid-season if he signs with the Jets? Can he then go to the AHL. For that matter could he be called up to the NHL? This is not about draft staus. Only the obligation to Red Deer.

Why would he leave Red Deer?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I am not sure the Jets are in a rush to sign him. He is a raw 18 year old. It may be worth consideration at the end of the year - if the choice is AHL or Europe, but he wouldn't make the AHL or NHL team better at this point.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Great to hear! Being compared to Larkin is a damn good thing. How did Phillips look in net for MT? Thanks for your input!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would be an extremely unusual move, even more so with Red Deer hosting the memorial cup this year.

Purely a hypothetical question so it doesn't have to apply specifically to Spacek or Red Deer. But if the Jets signed him and decided he would develop better in the AHL could it be done? As I said before my guess is that his CHL contract would have to be fulfilled so he would have to stay with Red Deer until they are eliminated in the spring. But I'm not certain, thus the question. Could it be done?

It is a situation that has the potential to become more common as more players are drafted out of Europe. Most often they are staying with Euro leagues, either junior or pro for a couple of years before coming to NA so it hasn't come up much.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

while i haven't watched him live, judging by what we've heard and his scoring pace, he'd be nuts to go back to school for 1 more year. also, based on some Jets personnel that may be gone (i.e. Ladd), there will likely be an opening for him on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad