Winnipeg Jets Next Ones – Top 10 Prospects

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Another perspective on Jets Top prospects.

Excerpt from intro:

"Jets NHL Prospect Pool Power Ranking: ___
"Jets 2.0

4. Prospect Abundance: Can you have too much of a good thing, like solid NHL prospects? No, but you still have to manage the prospect situation. The Jets are in a position where the quantity of quality prospects may be too high for the big club to absorb. This means that Kevin Chevaldayoff may have to dust off his old Chicago Black Hawk cap and do a Stan Bowman-like churn over of some of the current prospects for future prospects or big league players to manage the overabundance.

The future of the Winnipeg Jets looks very promising indeed with the quantity and quality of the prospects in their system. They also seem to have the big league management and coaching necessary to continue to advance to the promised land of Stanley Cup contention. However, the road to the Cup is a difficult one even for the best of teams. It has been a long and difficult road to achieve the team’s current success. Unfortunately, it won’t get any easier to move further up the ranks...."

In addition to Top 10 highlights the obvious U21 lads (if any) already on the roster, plus 5 honourable mentions along with the rest of the 2015 draft class.

As well, "E-Mac's Impact Prospects" are noted along with how the Jets stack up with the rest of the league with respect to their prospect pool.

Sample - Top 5 from the article:
- more info & stats in the article

1. Ehlers
2. Hellebuyck
3. Connor
4. Morrissey (I would probably have him #2)
5. Roslovic

Link to full article

Comments and critique welcomed...

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
For the record, I'd also probably have Petan at 5, Harkins higher and Comrie in top 10.

Also have your say in the poll as to who of these prospects with be first to have true NHL impact.

SantaYnez*

1. Hellebuyck
2. Lemieux
3. Connor
4. Ehlers
5. Harkins
6. Comrie
7. Roslovic
8. Morrissey
9. Armia
10. Petan

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
For the record, I'd also probably have Petan at 5, Harkins higher and Comrie in top 10.

Also have your say in the poll as to who of these prospects with be first to have true NHL impact.

I would love to have Roslovic turn out great, but yeah, I have a hard time putting him ahead of Petan.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
1. Hellebuyck
2. Lemieux
3. Connor
4. Ehlers
5. Harkins
6. Comrie
7. Roslovic
8. Morrissey
9. Armia
10. Petan

[mod]

Ehlers, IMO is going to be a superstar, he is just working towards working through NHL defenseman. There is no doubt in my mind that he possesses all the talents to being a superstar. His skating is pretty much 100, his hands are great, his passing and shot are great. He just comes from a life of hockey where he was able to do whatever he wanted, almost whenever he felt like it, so I can't be too surprised that he's underestimating defense. He's figuring out what he can and can't get away with. We can't just look at the spreadsheet of points in a game and rate a guy. How can comrie be above petan and morrissey?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1. Hellebuyck
2. Lemieux
3. Connor
4. Ehlers
5. Harkins
6. Comrie
7. Roslovic
8. Morrissey
9. Armia
10. Petan

[mod]

Ehlers, IMO is going to be a superstar, he is just working towards working through NHL defenseman. There is no doubt in my mind that he possesses all the talents to being a superstar. His skating is pretty much 100, his hands are great, his passing and shot are great. He just comes from a life of hockey where he was able to do whatever he wanted, almost whenever he felt like it, so I can't be too surprised that he's underestimating defense. He's figuring out what he can and can't get away with. We can't just look at the spreadsheet of points in a game and rate a guy. How can comrie be above petan and morrissey?

Why bother to ask when that list has Lemieux above everybody except Hellebuyck?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why does that story say that no Jets prospect 21 & under has 'arrived'? Forgetting Trouba?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
[mod]

I don't know about superstar, but IMO he has the best chance of any of our prospects to be a legit star in the league. A top 10 point getter type of player. IMO there is absolutely no reason to not have him on the NHL roster. The kid needs to play against the best to keep developing. And while he is doing it, he will gradually be over taking his team mates one by one in terms of value to the team.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
a) TBL didn't start winning because they put a high-end goalie in the net. Team SV%:
2013-14 0.9132, 14th
2014-15 0.9103, 18th
That's mediocre at best.
b) Hutchinson. Drew Hutchison is the baseball player, I don't know how good he is at hockey.
c) I really really really don't think Morrissey needs another year in the CHL. Who was the last top20 pick to play an overage season in the CHL?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Especially when Morrissey can play in the AHL and has shown incredible poise and ability when doing so.

I consider that Calder Cup run to be worth more than AHL regular season in terms of developing a player. Therefore I think of Morrissey as though he had already completed 1 season in the AHL.

I see no reason to send him down except that we have too many LHDs. Play Morrissey and move enough #7/8 D to make room.

Chiarot looked really good last game against Edmonton. If he keeps that up he should silence some of the critics. It looks to me like our LD should be made up of Enstrom, Chiarot and Morrissey with Pardy in the PB (beside Postma). Clitsome has been clarified. Harrison should be waived. Then there is good ole Stu the glue. He could and probably should be traded. There is a valid concern about depth for injury coverage because with Morrisey in the NHL we have no NHL calibre LD playing in the AHL. Is that a valid reason for NOT playing your best players? Would we send Ladd to the Moose in order to have a good injury replacement available?

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
a) TBL didn't start winning because they put a high-end goalie in the net. Team SV%:
2013-14 0.9132, 14th
2014-15 0.9103, 18th
That's mediocre at best.
b) Hutchinson. Drew Hutchison is the baseball player, I don't know how good he is at hockey.
c) I really really really don't think Morrissey needs another year in the CHL. Who was the last top20 pick to play an overage season in the CHL?

Agreed on Morrissey, bad math day, you would think a CPA, CA could do better! I will get the reference to the CHL removed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad