Winnipeg Jets have high-end prospects at every position

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
jack_roslovic_usa_080615.jpg
Photo: Winnipeg Jets prospect and Miami University freshman Jack Roslovic leads his team in scoring in the early going of the season (courtesy of John Crouch/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The Winnipeg Jets reached the playoffs last season for the first time since the franchise moved from Atlanta to Manitoba in 2011-12. It is too soon to tell whether the Jets can be a permanent fixture in the playoffs playing in the rugged Central Division or were merely a one-year wonder. Even if they should miss the post-season in 2015-16, judging by the stream of young talent coming up through the Winnipeg system the future is looking bright.… read more

The post Winnipeg Jets have high-end prospects at every position appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
How long are we going hear about high end prospects, yada, yada, yada. Every team has prospects. We are always oversold here, Ehler's has been good, size and speed of NHL catching up with him now, Petan 1 goal, no assists, can't miss prospect Morrissey looked like Mark Flood, Helly may be a top flight goalie, who knows.....pretty much a crap shoot for the rest.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
How long are we going hear about high end prospects, yada, yada, yada. Every team has prospects. We are always oversold here, Ehler's has been good, size and speed of NHL catching up with him now, Petan 1 goal, no assists, can't miss prospect Morrissey looked like Mark Flood, Helly may be a top flight goalie, who knows.....pretty much a crap shoot for the rest.

Ehlers has been figured out? :laugh: How about: he's a 19yr old rookie, finding his way in the league with only 20 games under his belt.

Morrissey is Mark Flood? :laugh: Ridiculous. Defensemen take time to develop - players like Trouba are the exception, not the norm. Even other 1st rounders selected around the Trouba pick are only just making impacts. Patience, grasshopper.

Petan has been asked to play a role that is NOT well suited to him - you're going to blame his lack of scoring on him? Could it not have something to do with being on the 4th line, and playing with less offensively-minded player? Nah. He's a bust.

And tossing Helle in there: you do realize that he's posted incredibly good numbers at every level, yes? Those ARE things to be excited about.

Personally, just because there's a bad outing by the Jets, doesn't mean I'm about to crap on every other aspect of the franchise.

Ridiculously over the top statements, in my opinion.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's Uncle Sip's mission to be as contrarian as possible at every level.

Contrarian to overly optimistic is often rational / reasonable.

The board is fan heavy and tends to see things in a very rosy light, often unfounded. Me too sometimes. We are oversold on prospects and are often overly optimistic on the expectation. This year is a great example. It doesn't take much to look at how - somehow - four newbies (three rookies + Burmi) - were going to replace Frolik, Stempniak, Tlusty and Slater. Slater - of course we could all see that. But rookies to replace bonafide NHL roster players with years of proven track record of performance on their resume's. And we would be fine? In the Central division? With the other teams making obvious improvements to their rosters in the off season? My concern in the off season was mostly discarded. I think that in the last few games, some others are starting to see the effect.

Sometimes, a bucket of cold water poured over the head is good to wake up. Reality can sting sometimes. But you can't solve a problem if you don't acknowledge that one exists. Right now our problem is a lack of talent compared to our peer group - the Central division. It's a shame, because this problem did not exist 5 or 6 months ago.

Another article about how great our prospects are is fine. But I don't believe that it is beneficial for the organization to make the playoffs one year, and then 'take a step back' or 'make room for the youth movement' or whatever other way someone wants to say 'it's just fine to not make the post season'. In order to create a winning culture and a place that free agents want to play, you have to make the post season more than once in 5 years. You have to show an upswing. And if there is a setback, it shouldn't be for lack of effort on the part of the organization.

We aren't 20 games in yet. Maurice has for the most part not made any effective adjustments. Maybe there is a way to shuffle the deck and get a bit more from the roster that we have. But because of the Central and the west overall, time is short to figure it out. Yes, effort is a huge part of it. But effort with lack of talent can only get you so far.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's Uncle Sip's mission to be as contrarian as possible at every level.

I can see the optimism and overabundance of talent, after 5 drafts Chevy has a well stocked first place AHL team with 20 guys ready to jump into the NHL if called upon, my problem is that I can't remember their names, please give me the name of one guy who could play here right now if called upon and have an immediate impact? Oh right there are none!

2011 no player able to be called up from farm.

2015 no player able to be called up from farm.

PS Helly excluded, only counting skaters

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Prospects are just that, you really don't know what you got until they get there chance in the NHL. In a perfect scenario Petan, Copp and even Lowry would have spent a few years in the AHL but Jets management went a different route.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Roslovic was playing C until recently when they loaded up the top line, I think his future is still as a center.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I can see the optimism and overabundance of talent, after 5 drafts Chevy has a well stocked first place AHL team with 20 guys ready to jump into the NHL if called upon, my problem is that I can't remember their names, please give me the name of one guy who could play here right now if called upon and have an immediate impact? Oh right there are none!

2011 no player able to be called up from farm.

PS Helly excluded, only counting skaters

Agreed. And forget about calling up. If anything, we have a few that need to go down. But we can't send them because we cleared out our roster to make room for guys that aren't ready.

It's a shame, because we had a pretty damn good team 6 months ago.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Agreed. And forget about calling up. If anything, we have a few that need to go down. But we can't send them because we cleared out our roster to make room for guys that aren't ready.

It's a shame, because we had a pretty damn good team 6 months ago.

Guys are rushed here because the depth of talent is thin in the organization not because they are ready. TNSE is cheap, season tickets still in high demand, why spend money. Team probably won't make the playoffs this season but will reward Chevy with a new contract so he can implement another 5 year plan!:shakehead

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I couldn't disagree more. Forwards:

- Halischuk
- Armia
- Raffl
- Fraser

D:

- Harrison
- Morrissey
- Kostalek - hopefully sooner than later

G:

- Hellebuyck
- Morrissey

Don't forget some of these guys were on our playoff bound NHL roster last year. Some have also dealt with injuries. Sure we don't have any high end pieces ready to push out of the gate, but that's because Chevy decided to give them all a chance on the big club right off the bat. Would you feel better if there was an NHL scrub in Petans spot and he was in the A? Or if we re-signed Slater for another year and had Copp in the A?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I couldn't disagree more. Forwards:

- Halischuk
- Armia
- Raffl
- Fraser

D:

- Harrison
- Morrissey
- Kostalek
- hopefully sooner than later

G:

- Hellebuyck
- Morrissey

Don't forget some of these guys were on our playoff bound NHL roster last year. Some have also dealt with injuries. Sure we don't have any high end pieces ready to push out of the gate, but that's because Chevy decided to give them all a chance on the big club right off the bat. Would you feel better if there was an NHL scrub in Petans spot and he was in the A?

bolded :laugh::laugh:

Good one, Hali, Armia and Fraser are barely good enough for the AHL!:cry:

And the D in the A, guys here don't look so good right now and you think the guys in the A could help?:laugh: :facepalm:

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Ehlers has been figured out? :laugh: How about: he's a 19yr old rookie, finding his way in the league with only 20 games under his belt.

Morrissey is Mark Flood? :laugh: Ridiculous. Defensemen take time to develop - players like Trouba are the exception, not the norm. Even other 1st rounders selected around the Trouba pick are only just making impacts. Patience, grasshopper.

Petan has been asked to play a role that is NOT well suited to him - you're going to blame his lack of scoring on him? Could it not have something to do with being on the 4th line, and playing with less offensively-minded player? Nah. He's a bust.

And tossing Helle in there: you do realize that he's posted incredibly good numbers at every level, yes? Those ARE things to be excited about.

Personally, just because there's a bad outing by the Jets, doesn't mean I'm about to crap on every other aspect of the franchise.

Ridiculously over the top statements, in my opinion.

Agreed 100%

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

In 2018, we will only have $12M of cap space so we will talk ourselves into the bright idea of letting all of our free agents walk to make room for a youth movement so that in 2022 we will have the theoretical space we need to sign all of the 'youth' and high -end prospects. :naughty:

Then in 2022, we will only have $12M of cap space so we will talk ourselves into the bright idea of letting all of our free agents walk to make room for a youth movement so that in 2026 we will have the theoretical space we need to sign all of the 'youth' and high-end prospects. :naughty: :naughty:

Rinse, repeat.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
bolded :laugh::laugh:

Good one, Hali, Armia and Fraser are barely good enough for the AHL!:cry:

And the D in the A, guys here don't look so good right now and you think the guys in the A could help?:laugh: :facepalm:

Yeah sure they're having a rough time, everyone knows that. But to equate a poorly coached and motivated team in the AHL to having absolutely no depth is absurd. Morrissey looked fantastic in the AHL playoffs 1.5 years ago. Every time Armia would be called up to Buffalo last year he would be injured. Buffalo fans said he deserved a chance. Harrison is serviceable depth. Kostalek only has a few pro games under his belt.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
It's called growing pains. What would be the 'gripe' if Stempniak, Tlusty and Frolik were retained, yet we were still struggling?

There are much better teams (talent wise) that are struggling more than our Jets. Chillax!!

The Stanley Cup isn't awarded in November. :amazed:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's all about waiting it out. I don't think this core, the players over 26 including the ones we let go, will be the ones leading us to a Stanley Cup. They are great but let's be realistic here. I think once Connor makes this squad that is when the real building starts.
IMO a core of Scheif, Ehlers, Connor, Petan, Roslo, Burmi, Copp, Trouba, Morrissey, Helle, Comrie is much better than a core of Little, Ladd, Wheeler, Frolik, Stemp, Tlusty, Slater, Enstrom, Buff, Pavs, Hutch. The second core might be tough and they are all great hockey players but they don't scream contender to me. The firstcore has some incredibly dynamic players with much higher ceilings and though some may not be better now because they are all young some of them are already better or as good as their counterparts at anywhere from 5 to 10 years younger and after this draft we should be able to add to that core even more. IMO 2017/2018 is that start of the Jets 2.0 Golden Age.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Right where the Jets have settled.

We'll see. This is about the time of the season last year that tank threads were created, and I steadfastly said that the team was probably better than they were showing.

I'm a little more cautious right now, but I still believe that they'll be able to pull out of this tailspin. If they do, then we've also gained the benefit of bringing 3 rooks along for the ride - that bodes well for the future.

I see our prospects as what they are: prospects. Not fully developed NHL players, ready to step in - they're prospects. There's a reason they're labeled prospects.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Contrarian to overly pessimistic is often rational / reasonable. We all have our biases, and we all see ourselves as intrinsically correct. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

We are 100% in agreement here. Let's enjoy it while it lasts! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad