Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We beat them but check the actual time we lead in the series you’ll be shocked.
Edmonton choked, Helle did not shine
The most important thing about leading is to be leading at the end of the game.
The series against Anaheim should have taught you that.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Jet forwards who are built for the playoffs

Lowry
Nino
Apples
Barron
Names
It almost sounds like there is something fundamentally wrong with the top 6. I wonder which lunatic has been saying that for half a decade now.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watching the Canucks last night. Even though they lost, it was interesting to watch guys like Garland and Hoglander - not big guys but they are tenacious, fast and their motors don’t quit. Ehlers, Connor, Perfetti all seem to lack this energy it seems.
This is what is so frustrating about this season, how do you go 52-24-6 for 4th overall in the NHL and have home ice advantage in the 1st round and shit the bed so badly. Some you can blame on coaching but to me every single player needs to have a very long look in the mirror and ask themselves did i give 110% out there and then ask themselves why didn't i? .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Watching the Canucks last night. Even though they lost, it was interesting to watch guys like Garland and Hoglander - not big guys but they are tenacious, fast and their motors don’t quit. Ehlers, Connor, Perfetti all seem to lack this energy it seems.
To be fair, Schief, Vilardi, Monahan and Toffoli lacked that energy, which is why we got smoked

On the other hand, I thought Connor actually upped his game a little in the playoffs in terms of energy and physicality

Nov 24, 2006
Yes, you always want a mix of skill, size, tenacity and we've got guys with 1 and 2 but the eye test says we get out of our game when the intensity ramps up in the playoffs. As always, really good teams seem to get that "mix" right come playoff time.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
To be fair, Schief, Vilardi, Monahan and Toffoli lacked that energy, which is why we got smoked

On the other hand, I thought Connor actually upped his game a little in the playoffs in terms of energy and physicality
I think all the lineup changes hurt more than helped - jets had an identity in the first half... then they dismantled our 1st 2nd and 4th lines... then tinkered way too much with the D except pionk...

Promoting nino would have been a far better option than toffoli. .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think all the lineup changes hurt more than helped - jets had an identity in the first half... then they dismantled our 1st 2nd and 4th lines... then tinkered way too much with the D except pionk...

Promoting nino would have been a far better option than toffoli. .
I think we tend to get stuck on the line up and line combos (because they're things that are simple to second guess), but getting blown out just came down to the Jets being a team that didn't know either that they'd have to elevate their game (in terms of effort, intensity, discipline within the system, you name it) or didn't know how to.

You gotta fight for every inch of ice at this time of year and our guys looked like they showed up playing like it was a Tuesday night in January

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I just want to say, I’m so over the Lowry-Appleton shut down line. I just think we’d benefit more with Lowry given more offensive talent on the wing. I think he’d benefit greatly with someone like Ehlers.
I think Nino was miscast on that line tbh. Nino has offensive capabilities, has scored at a good clip in the past. Saddling him with those two and giving them entirely defensive minutes neutered him offensively.

Would really like to see the Jets be more open to rolling 4 lines that can actually contribute offensively.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think we tend to get stuck on the line up and line combos (because they're things that are simple to second guess), but getting blown out just came down to the Jets being a team that didn't know either that they'd have to elevate their game (in terms of effort, intensity, discipline within the system, you name it) or didn't know how to.

You gotta fight for every inch of ice at this time of year and our guys looked like they showed up playing like it was a Tuesday night in January
Jets lost speed - in the second half. Names and iafallo were nowhere near the forecheck we had on first half of season with ajf and toninato

Ehlers on top line was a strong forecheck and Connor waved his stick too much

Toffoli was a trjgger man not a forechecker...

If anything the Jets constructed lines by name and career rather than performance and chemistry

Reactions: surixon

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This is what is so frustrating about this season, how do you go 52-24-6 for 4th overall in the NHL and have home ice advantage in the 1st round and shit the bed so badly. Some you can blame on coaching but to me every single player needs to have a very long look in the mirror and ask themselves did i give 110% out there and then ask themselves why didn't i? .
It is harder hockey in the playoffs. Clearly our top talent have had troubles elevating their game. Seemingly ALL of Colorado's players elevated theirs. Even their goalie.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just want to say, I’m so over the Lowry-Appleton shut down line. I just think we’d benefit more with Lowry given more offensive talent on the wing. I think he’d benefit greatly with someone like Ehlers.

I think putting Nino on his line was an attempt to give him some talent to play with. They also tried Toffoli there with him as well a couple games.

It will be interesting to see what they try next year. I could see a player like Lambert providing speed and break ins with him and Nino if they want more skill on that line.

Reactions: WolfHouse

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

I agree mostly. Monahan, Toffoli, Villardi, Nino and Ehlers were not good and didn't provide anything. Toffoli and Villardi were completely invisible and Nino was not what you'd expect for someone "built" for the playoffs. I thought Scheif and Connor were actually good in the series.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think putting Nino on his line was an attempt to give him some talent to play with. They also tried Toffoli there with him as well a couple games.

It will be interesting to see what they try next year. I could see a player like Lambert providing speed and break ins with him and Nino if they want more skill on that line.

Perfect spot for Chibrikov I’d say.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Is there ever a world in which Lowry moves to the wing and we can bounce shots off him on an offensive line? He could still do faceoff duty. Maybe some of the defensive responsibilities for Lambert? Or does it not matter as much when you hit the offensive zone who is labeled what on a line.
The shutdown line kills me too. There is no soft landing spot on this team for young, talented guys.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Is there ever a world in which Lowry moves to the wing and we can bounce shots off him on an offensive line? He could still do faceoff duty. Maybe some of the defensive responsibilities for Lambert? Or does it not matter as much when you hit the offensive zone who is labeled what on a line.
The shutdown line kills me too. There is no soft landing spot on this team for young, talented guys.
Good point on Lowry - I'd like to see a change here as well and the wing makes sense.
And I'm doing a 180 here - I've always liked that shut down option but based on what I'm seeing, it might be unsustainable.

My theory is that these D first lines need to work very hard to be effective - and they wear down with the season.
And when your d first line is made up of big guys like ours, they wear down faster.

Maybe it's time to look at more balance and Lowry in the top six as a winger would be a good place to start - he should be an excellent net front player and he can work the walls well with that big body - and he's an enforcer which should keep our skill guys out of the scrums. And maybe some of the offense he lacks, will come when playing with skilled players.
Do the same with Nino. Maybe even Apples - although Barron might be the better option.

Anyway, your post kind of has me thinking . . .

Reactions: Buffdog

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Just going to throw @Ponds post from February 8th-ish up here for posterity (not sure all the links are working but it is from the Flyers GDT of that date if you're curious:
www.google.ca

Jets' head coach Rick Bowness not interested in allowing power play to slip further

Head coach Rick Bowness isn't one to allow things to slip for too long, especially when it comes to the Jets' struggling power play.
www.google.ca
www.google.ca
Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

20240207_190544.jpg

255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

Screenshot_20240207_193554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_172339_DuckDuckGo.jpg

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Always liked Kovy, never understood why the Jets didn't.

He's everything Stan isn't -- big, mobile, steady RHD who's smart enough to play the better angles and tough enough to shift a player when required and is good on the PK.

Absolute whiff on that one.
The guy was healthied on the HABS this year.

More handwringing about tweeners, and HF Jets specialty

So much focus on ehlers linemates not being able to read him... and no mention of how he dismantled opposing D with the same chaos... then suddenly there's room for his linemates - he will excel with his next team

Jets will also need to address their zone entries next year if ehlers is traded... yup offensive zone giveaways suck but what sucks worse is never gaining the zone
Zone entries mean shit when they amount to nothing but lost possession

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that there's merit to things explained to me by @hn777 (respectfully) and @Gm0ney (with his pattented closing statement delivered in his self-congradulating way), specifically how Ehler's ice time only increased when the team was down, playing from behind. A number of good points, by both, but it also left me thinking that Ehler's is never your guy when the team's behind.
Over the last 3 seasons, when the Jets are trailing in a game at 5v5, Ehlers has 716:24 TOI in 189 games and is the 56th best forward in the NHL in terms of on-ice GF/60 with a 3.35.

The next best Jet forward is Scheifele in 967:51 across 222 games - he's 119th in the league with 2.55 GF/60.

Then Dubois (206th), Wheeler (209th), Connor (231st) and Lowry (234th).

Ehlers' GF% at 5v5 when trailing is even better: 29th in the NHL with a 59.70%.

Lowry's 57th at 57.45%, Scheifele's 69th with 56.10%. Everyone else is below 50%: Wheeler (46.94%), Dubois (46.30%) and Connor (41.18%).

In individual points per 60 at 5v5 when trailing, Ehlers leads the way again with 2.85 p/60. That's 12th in the NHL. Next best Jet is Connor with 1.89 p/60 when trailing (114th). Scheifele's 1.80 p/60 (136th)...then Wheeler, Dubois and Lowry.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad