Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Why is McLellan a popular target? I thought he hasn’t really been particularly successful anywhere, or is that just my imagination? Seems like just about as unimaginative a hire as Arniel.
I thought he won the cup at least once

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So if Arniel gets the job 99% he does … nothing will change.
Lauer will still be here … Chevy will probably resign the FAs if they still want to be here … one big happy family.
The Jets will make the playoffs and they lose in the first round.
I hate Groundhog Day.
Still kind of funny that last season there was a real push on this board to make Lauer our next HC because there was such a bump in performance when he came back...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Murat with a pro and con article about Arniel:

Short form:
Pros:
Players like and endorse him
Will accept the job
Played a part in the defensive Renaissance
Won't be super expensive
Showed well when he took over

Cons:
Optics after the playoff failure
PK
Part of staff that didn't have answers
Keeping him likely means the other assistants stay

Reactions: roccerfeller

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Murat with a pro and con article about Arniel:

Short form:
Pros:
Players like and endorse him
Will accept the job
Played a part in the defensive Renaissance
Won't be super expensive
Showed well when he took over

Cons:
Optics after the playoff failure
PK
Part of staff that didn't have answers
Keeping him likely means the other assistants stay
Under no circumstances should whoever was responsible for the special teams shitshow be back

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed, but sometimes I wonder how much autonomy assistants have on special teams. Is it them enacting the HC plan or do they get to come up with and enact their own plan.
Probably a bit of both but the ass coach would be expected to draw it up - HC's don't have the time to do it all.
I'd think the HC would be involved - to what extent would depend a lot on the coach and the assistant.

Reactions: surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed, but sometimes I wonder how much autonomy assistants have on special teams. Is it them enacting the HC plan or do they get to come up with and enact their own plan.
Either way I guess the buck stops at the HC. If the special teams aren't working, it's his responsibility to make sure the assistant in charge starts making changes

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Lauer will still be here … Chevy will probably resign the FAs if they still want to be here … one big happy family.
I hate Groundhog Day.
I think it will be my biggest jets 2.0 disappointment if they promote arniel and run it out there again

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Leafs should have waited a week to see if Rod B would have been made available. He would have gotten effort out of that team, he would have been a better fit than Berube.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hate Groundhog Day.
Sounds about right, forgot the part about Helly sucking and then stating, " I'm playing my best hockey"!

Well we can cross Berube off the list. Looks like he's going to Toronto
Jets will settle for sloppy seconds or worse, Arneil and Lauer!

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Sounds about right, forgot the part about Helly sucking and then stating, " I'm playing my best hockey"!

Jets will settle for sloppy seconds or worse, Arneil and Lauer!
God would it be nice if they’d do something bold for once. If you can’t do bold, at least do something somewhat interesting! Don’t make the most unexciting move you could possibly make during a new coach hire and then wonder why people aren’t lining up to buy tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad